The Immortal Alphabetical Game #7 - Bismarck

budweiser

King of the Beers
Welcome to the Immortal Alphabetical Challenge Game #7 Bismarck!

Map & settings
Spoiler :
Fractal, standard, standard

Starting Location
Spoiler :

Achievements
This game is about warfare through the ages. There are 10 points available. You will earn points in the ages for building your army and capturing enemy cities. If the age ends before you complete the achievement, then you do not score that point even if you do it later.

Spoiler :

During the First or Second Age
1. The Spear Men: Kill any unit with a Spear man

First Reich, during Age 3 or 4
2. Holy Roman Empire: Annex an enemy capital
3. Teutonic Knights: Annex a City State

Second Reich: before the Modern era begins
4. Mobilization: Rush buy 10 riflemen.
5. Schlieffen Plan: Connect all your cities by rail. <-- This is not possible, so cross to Modern with Rail Road.
6. Risk Fleet: Buy or build 6 Ironclads.

Third Reich: during the Modern & beyond
7. Operation Mercury: Capture an enemy capital with a paratrooper.
8. Operation Sea Lion: Capture an enemy capital with an amphibious promo unit.
9. Case White: Capture an enemy capital with a Panzer.
10. Case Yellow: Capture the last enemy capital with a Panzer.

Good luck!

Attachments

• iagstartBismarckBC-4000.Civ5Save
    506.9 KB · Views: 90
Great themes for the Achievements! #3 Annexing a CS means you have to think twice about Worker steals...

I am on turn 226.

Spoiler :
So far my game is going very well. I have fought wars against all the known AI. I have a very wide empire and I just won World's Fair. I will easily have money to purchase the riflemen and build up for a huge finish.

Edit: On the very next turn I got a second double DoW and now it wont be so easy to get those units.

Good, I like Germany so I will try and play this one for all achievements. It's gonna be a long one though so no Blitzkrieg :(

After many hours and many wars :) I am 1 turn away from Panzers with three cap left. One has to be captured by sea and two have to be captured by Panzers. The other seven things are done.

I should have this done today and will post some final screen shots.

Operation Mercury. But, dont look unless you started, it will spoil the whole map.

Spoiler :
It would have looked cooler, but unfortunately, I had to clear some AAA so I moved into this shot with the tank.

Operation Sea Lion:
Spoiler :
Looks like I failed to get a good shot of this, I only have a few pictures from the early phase.

Messing around with carrier based fighters.

Case White:
Spoiler :
This enemy cap will fall to a Panzer.

Case Yellow: Showing how just the bombers can take down city defense:
Spoiler :

Victory was in 1948 10/10. Satisfying, but staring at the screen was giving me headaches. With a little more careful planning, I could have made it match historical dates. In this game, my rep got damaged very early when I made a pack to attack my neighbor, and got caught massing troops on his border. I lied.

Turn 150

Spoiler :

I have secured 1 and 2. Crossbows are ready to assault Morocco as soon as I clear them up. Then it's turtle to Modern. The 2nd Reich achievos seem a bit of a bottle neck.

Constant war is a proper pain in my Blitzkrieg :lol:

To get the second tier achievements, it helps to go Commerce, or settle peace for large amounts of GPT. When I got that double DoW, both guys ended up giving me almost 200 gpt between them.

Spoiler :
I was offered Utica and Osaka, but I settled for GPT instead.

I'm guessing HCA would do reasonably well here. Gonna give it a try.
Riflemen are actually reasonably good, but ironclads...suck.

I'm guessing HCA would do reasonably well here. Gonna give it a try.
Riflemen are actually reasonably good, but ironclads...suck.

Commerce/auto is going to help for the achievements regardless of opener. Since there's no turn time limit aside from not losing to the AI, science rate doesn't matter so much and you can just brow beat stuff and steal tech. If your science is really bad you might have to camp the last AI to get Panzers, but you'll eventually be pulling in the 1000's of beakers anyway.

Keep in mind you could always just kill the last 2 AI with nukes, taking one city with a paratrooper then the final one with a panzer with amphibious.

I went full Tradition for a big capital, then Patronage opener and now Commerce. Still far from Rationalism but that's ok for the moment as I'm only planning Secularism and then full Commerce for the lulz.

Science in terms of BPT is not as important as just 'keeping up' in tech. You dont want to be so far behind that your units are out dated and ineffective. If your empire is wide, you should be OK. I didnt do Rationalism at all but I was science leader once I got caught up.

I went full tradition then I split Commerce and Honor and then Autocracy.

Keep in mind you could always just kill the last 2 AI with nukes, taking one city with a paratrooper then the final one with a panzer with amphibious.

What I wanted to show was just how fast you can go with just the tanks and the bombers, I started on Case Yellow in 1944 and he was gone in 1948, 4 turns. Arty never shot on his cap. You can see there were two full cities between me and his cap but I went right by those straight to the cap. If I had used another city full of 6 bombers instead of one city full of bombers, then he could have fallen in one or two turns.

Case White was even easier since it was in range of Arty and had weaker defense. That took 2 turns.

What ends up happening is Oil becomes the limiting factor as you try to decide between another plane another tank or another ship. :)

Eh I think I'm good enough to win with HCA as Germany, so I don't think I'll have to nuke...

Using nukes isn't a matter of being good enough to avoid them.

Using nukes is its own reward.

That said HCA makes 3 (later 4) range stuff easy to come by so it's true you don't need them.

What ends up happening is Oil becomes the limiting factor as you try to decide between another plane another tank or another ship.

That's been my issue with some of the industrial/modern era war options too. You don't always have it and it's not always practical to get enough for your units to be meaningful.

After many hours and many wars :) I am 1 turn away from Panzers with three cap left. One has to be captured by sea and two have to be captured by Panzers. The other seven things are done.

I should have this done today and will post some final screen shots.

Operation Mercury. But, dont look unless you started, it will spoil the whole map.

Spoiler :
It would have looked cooler, but unfortunately, I had to clear some AAA so I moved into this shot with the tank.

Operation Sea Lion:
Spoiler :
Looks like I failed to get a good shot of this, I only have a few pictures from the early phase.

Messing around with carrier based fighters.

Case White:
Spoiler :
This enemy cap will fall to a Panzer.

Case Yellow: Showing how just the bombers can take down city defense:
Spoiler :

Victory was in 1948 10/10. Satisfying, but staring at the screen was giving me headaches. With a little more careful planning, I could have made it match historical dates. In this game, my rep got damaged very early when I made a pack to attack my neighbor, and got caught massing troops on his border. I lied.

If you capture last capital with ambitious panzer doesnt it fullfill 8,9 and 10?

Also capturin last capital with normal panzer fullfills 9 and 10?

BlackWizard - the intent is 8, 9 and 10 are separate caps, not a combo on missions. You can use an amphibious Panzer, but it would only count for 8. The assault can even be across a river. That is what is intended. We want some fairly healthy civs left at the end to take out with tanks, and paras etc. Also, the same Panzer unit could score all 3 points by itself, but it has to be three different caps.

That's been my issue with some of the industrial/modern era war options too. You don't always have it and it's not always practical to get enough for your units to be meaningful.

Oil lies outside the optimal tech path, so by the time it gets revealed it may be outside your original borders. Its not consistently conducive to fast victory time. It would be good to work oil into some of the future challenges as the series goes on.

Man, the constant war thing is arduous, and the mountains surrounding the neighbor, so I'll skip the bottleneck type achievos if that's all the same to you and do a Blitzkrieg :)

Man, the constant war thing is arduous, and the mountains surrounding the neighbor, so I'll skip the bottleneck type achievos if that's all the same to you and do a Blitzkrieg :)

Constant war isn't so bad, you can just sit there.

It's when you actually push out on 2-3 fronts that it starts to become more of a chore ;).

Question about the settings:
Spoiler :
I conquered one of Morocco's old cities from Japan, but I did not get the option to liberate the city and revive Morocco. Is reviving dead AI disabled?

T180 update
Spoiler :
My second attempt at this map is going well- I've got the first 3 achievements done. On my first try, I went liberty, settled 5 cities, but then I had a really hard time taking Morocco's capital. The problem was my own lousy tactics, not liberty, but I restarted and did a 2-city Tradition start. My expo was very close to Morocco's capital, and I built Petra there so it is very strong. Later somehow managed to build Alhambra there too, which will be very handy. Even though Morocco built the Great Wall, I was able to put a citadel 2 tiles from his capital because my expo was so close. That made it much easier to take.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with 6 ironclads, if I do try for that achievement. Fun so far; thanks for the map!

Top Bottom