The Community Deity Game #10 - Denmark

beetle

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the tenth installment in the Community Deity Game series!
CDG 10 - Denmark a.k.a. Go Jump in a Lake!
We aim to post an interesting challenge at the beginning and middle of each month. There is a suggested Victory Condition and a list of Achievements for each map. Please see the CDG Series Discussion Thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas. Please note that maps you wish to share must have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this every time you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number, victory condition, and achievement points in bold letters - e.g. “T247 DiploV, 10 points”. This is so the kind volunteer who updates the finishers spreadsheet can see it more easily.

We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the SPOILER tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, about natural wonders, locations of ancient ruins, terrain features, luxes, resources, etc. In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don't spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation, and have fun!

Spoiler UA and UB :
In this game, you will be playing as Harald Bluetooth, you possess Viking Fury. Embarked units have +1 movement and pay just one movement point to move from sea to land. Melee units pay no movement point costs to pillage.

You can train the Berserker, which replaces the Longswordsman but is available earlier (Metal Casting instead of Steel) and later (obsoletes with Metallurgy instead of Gunpowder). The Berserker has +1 movement and possesses the Amphibious promotion, allowing it to attack over rivers and onto land from a coastal tile with no penalty. Like Longswordsmen, Berserkers upgrade to Musketmen, require an Iron, and have the same strength and hammer cost. The Amphibious promotion is retained upon upgrading, but the extra movement is not.

You can also train the Norwegian Ski Infantry, which replaces the Rifleman. The Norwegian Ski Infantry moves through Snow, Tundra or Hill tiles at double speed and also has a +25% combat bonus in Snow, bare Tundra, and bare Hills. The Norwegian Ski Infantry has the same strength and hammer cost as the Rifleman. The movement and combat bonus is retained upon upgrading to Great War Infantry.

Spoiler Map type, settings, and opponents :
Standard size, standard speed, standard number of civs and CS. Raging barbs? Great Lakes map: large lakes, cool, 3 billion years (4 billion is standard, so map has more hills and mountains). Map was not altered. Opponents are hand selected.
Spoiler rational used when picking opponents :
All fit for the map type, mostly war mongers.
Spoiler list of AI civs :
Sorry, that would be telling!

Spoiler difficulty :
I have no idea how to rate this, and difficulty ratings for some previous maps are not correct. So I will say “Hard”, because the achievements are similar to CDG # 1 (which was rated as hard, and Denmark is not nearly as good a civ as Persia).

Spoiler starting location :

Designated Victory Condition: Domination, while avoiding the archer line. We want to hear how you use (and abuse) the UA for siege to land, set-up, and fire all on the same turn!

Spoiler achievements :
  • Win a DomVC without ever having trained* a ranged unit: 3 pts.
  • Keep 10 Berserkers alive to the turn of victory. You can upgrade them, obviously: 3 pts.
  • Each cap conquered before Metallurgy: 2pts ea..
  • Each cap conquered before Replaceable Parts: 1pt ea.
  • Melee attack an inland city starting w/ embarked units: 1pt for the lulz.
*Trained == built or bought. You can keep CS archer gifts and upgraded scouts but, for the achievement, they must not be used against cities.
Maximum of 21 points from achievements are available, but that would require winning before Metallurgy!
Quick combat and movement are off (which is the default, turn them on if you like).
Game Version - 1.3.9
Downloadable Content includes: G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan’s Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth’s Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti’s Incan Empire, Kamehameha’s Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar’s Babylon, Sejong The Great’s Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Before you download the map, please take a moment to speculate here in this thread on your initials thoughts plans for the game. Will you settle in place? Will you try and found a religion? How much will you rush Metal Casting? Before Education? Before Civil Service?? Before Philosophy???

Spoiler links to previous games in CDG series :
CDG1: Persia, Oct 31st, 2015, domination, Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG2: Assyria, Nov 15th, 2015, science, Pangea, medium, map by Consentient
CDG3: Ethiopia, Dec 2nd, 2015, culture, NQ Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG4: Spain, Dec 17th, 2015, domination, NQ Pangea, medium, map by Consentient
CDG5: Indonesia, Jan 2nd, 2016, culture, NQ Continents, hard, map by Consentient
CDG6: Zulus, Jan 15th, 2016, domination, Oval, easy, map by Consentient
CDG7: Shoshone, Feb 2nd, 2016, culture, Oval, very easy, map Created by Enslingkorp
CDG8: Austria, Feb 15th, 2016, science, Pangea, very easy, map by IronfighterXXX
CDG9: Brazil, Feb 28th, 2016, culture, Pangea, medium, map by Blatc

Attachments

• civ5ss-denmark-cdg10-t000.jpg
    civ5ss-denmark-cdg10-t000.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 1,653
  • Denmark4CDG_ AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    451.6 KB · Views: 235
Let me just say that I've NEVER had a good game as Denmark. I had a pretty perfect start once and sent a very strong early attack force of Berserkers who got annihilated by a Wonder-mongering desert America. Worst a$$-kicking I've had in awhile.

I may try to get a bit creative in this one......and I'm guessing given the starting terrain that I'll have to live without my beloved Petra. If Civ 6 ever comes out, I'm hoping they'll have a Petra-like Wonder for other terrain types (Snow = Winter Palace, etc...).

This looks like quite a challenge! And there was me thinking you had forgotten about us lol. I'm going for metal-casting before writing, the vikings can learn how to write when their on their ships heading for the first capital. I'm pretty sure this will end badly, but I'm going to try it anyway lol. I've never tried this before.

My first impression is move to tile SE of salt,3 city Liberty Comp bow rush, get berserkers to support the second push, then upgrade to machinery.

so, relinquishing the archery achievement then?

Also, I don't think settling in place would be a good idea, a river is probably the most important factor in a game like this

You don't have to. You can either 3 city Tradition turtle to Berserks and try to make the most out of them while you kick down the walls with Trebs. I could do it in Acken's Mod Immortal/Demigod which is much harder than base game Immortal.

Or, bin the Berserks and the Medieval stuff and turtle up to Nukes and Tanks :)

This is deity though, and to give you an idea, I tried the Zulu CDG and I couldn't kill the Brazilian neighbour before impis.

Edit: started the map. That is the most salty start I have ever seen.

Hey! I'm spoiled.
Spoiler :
Was thinking of moving settler anyway.

I'll skip archery and pay the Iron Price for victory! But I have many games going on at once.

Settling in place doesn't look like the best option, the terrain will be more forgiving around a river when you're that close to the icecaps.

Agree that it should be possible to take out 1-2, maybe even 3 civs with berserkers. They're a fun unit so I'll at least try:)

This is deity though, and to give you an idea, I tried the Zulu CDG and I couldn't kill the Brazilian neighbour before impis.

Edit: started the map. That is the most salty start I have ever seen.

Yeah I thought that starting location looked kind of funky too, but then I also turn on yields because I don't like guessing what is where. When I start this I am planning on taking right honor and finishing left honor by the time my first army is about to arrive at my first victim. I can hopefully get enough warriors and catapults built in my three cities to immediately upgrade to swords and then Berserkers once I finish professional army. I wish warrior code and discipline were switched, the 15% would work a lot better earlier. But I need to get to professional army in good time So I can build barracks in all three cities fast. I guess its good where it is, but still, ugh.

I'm going to scout heavy, steal some workers, mine that darn salt in the starting picture, fill my trade routes and forward settle two neighbors with my expos to collect even more trade routes, and then build my army for a turn 60ish metal-casting upgrade and assault. My catapults can hopefully survive the first round before being upgraded to trebs and assaulting the next cities with ease. Not having archers will be a pain, but I won't need them I don't think. They are a crutch, Trebs are better anyways.

Tried honour start. I ran out of gold because none of my neighbours were strong enough to have a carpet to farm.

When I start this I am planning on taking right honor and finishing left honor by the time my first army is about to arrive at my first victim.

Interesting. When I go the Honor route, I go down the left side first. The early GG pretty much guarantees you'll survive any early invasion, but, more importantly, getting the XP bonus is a big part of my warmongering with most civs (maybe not as crucial on this map).

That's probably because of my risk-averse warring style. I generally don't lose more than a few units the entire game, as I build up range/logistics shooters and advance in formations. It's slower this way, but I get so sentimental about my units once they get a couple of promotions......

(Since I'm in the mood for reminiscing about Civ 2, it was great back then when your shooters could all get the promotion that didn't require line of sight)

I wonder what it would be like trying to use choppers as denmark? Choppers have to embark to cross oceans, otherwise their pretty fast (And pretty much the most useless unit in the modern era...) but with Denmark can they cross a 4 tile lake in 1 turn?
Well, the UA means that units which start the turn embarked have extra movement, 5 for late game instead of the nominal 2. But Gunships have move 5 anyway, so they would only be about the same.

Your gunships that began life as spears or pikes would have free no-movement-cost pillage. Scarcers get that buff as well.

T236 Update

Spoiler :
3 city Honor open. Decided to play World Police. Shaka is hard. I started war with him when I got xbows and berserkers, and I had to finish with norwegian ski infantry. That's how long it took. Then destroyed the Aztecs after bribing them to war with everyone. Problem is now Russia hates me, but she is also allies with most of my friends.

T263 Resign. Triple DOW and I got capped by a carpet.
Maybe I will roll back so I don't completely wipe out
Spoiler :
Monty

Interesting. When I go the Honor route, I go down the left side first. The early GG pretty much guarantees you'll survive any early invasion, but, more importantly, getting the XP bonus is a big part of my warmongering with most civs (maybe not as crucial on this map).

That's probably because of my risk-averse warring style. I generally don't lose more than a few units the entire game, as I build up range/logistics shooters and advance in formations. It's slower this way, but I get so sentimental about my units once they get a couple of promotions......

(Since I'm in the mood for reminiscing about Civ 2, it was great back then when your shooters could all get the promotion that didn't require line of sight)

I didn't start reversing that until I read Peddroelm's honor-commerce-autocracy guide and Consenstient's huge follow-up, which is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=547630

From that follow-up guide: "The big decision about Honor is whether to go left or right side first. In most cases, right side first is best because it gives you culture faster. If you feel confident that you can ally with 1 or 2 cultural CS, or if you are in a situation where you want to train your Archers, Warriors, Spearmen and Horsemen from a very early stage, or if you can think of a REALLY good use for a citadel bomb, then you could go left-side first, but it’s generally suboptimal."

I like getting the 2 culture per turn from garrisoned unit, and for this map I want to upgrade warriors to swords and spears right at metal-casting and that will be easier with a 33% discount. Plus, barracks are really helpful. I won't need left side until I have 6-8 berserkers and 4-5 catapults (will be researching physics shortly after metal-casting to upgrade). I don't like losing units either, which is why I build too many usually, but I also won't be doing any fighting as I need trade route science until it's clobbering time!

I wish I had been good enough at CIV 2 to reminisce, but I was not and this is the first CIV game I've ever been able to play on Deity. That game was my favorite when I was a kid, but I never learned how to play it properly so I didn't graduate off settler...

Well, the UA means that units which start the turn embarked have extra movement, 5 for late game instead of the nominal 2. But Gunships have move 5 anyway, so they would only be about the same.

Your gunships that began life as spears or pikes would have free no-movement-cost pillage. Scarcers get that buff as well.

Darn I thought they could just move into the ocean and move out like it was a flat plains tile. You can tell I've never played as Denmark. So much pillaging though!!!:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Darn I thought they could just move into the ocean and move out like it was a flat plains tile.
Jumping into the water (is that embarking or disembarking?) uses up all your movement, as normal. As Denmark, moving from water to land takes only one movement point. Embarked units typically have more movement than units on land, and Denver get one more move point on top of that. Thus, units with logistic that start embarked, can land, attack (maybe twice), and jump back into the water (to reset their movement for the next turn).

Jumping into the water (is that embarking or disembarking?) uses up all your movement, as normal. As Denmark, moving from water to land takes only one movement point. Embarked units typically have more movement than units on land, and Denver get one more move point on top of that. Thus, units with logistic that start embarked, can land, attack (maybe twice), and jump back into the water (to reset their movement for the next turn).

You only want to do that if all the ranged units are dead though (and outside city range), I've killed enough embarked units to know what happens if you get hit with arrows at sea...

I'm really looking forward to this one, it looks fantastic. I keep using my free time for productive things though, that must end.

Top Bottom