College Football In Season Thread

UCF is going to be good this year...they may have the best backfield of any mid major, and they may very well win 10 games. I don't think they will beat OSU, but I think they have a puncher's chance against Missouri.

I'd rather lose to Cal of those 4 teams. Cal has great WRs this year, and a good RB, but their defense sucks, and they're never good on the road. You never know though...

I'm a big Tim Beckman supporter, and I think Illinois is a dark horse candidate for the B1G title game, something that isn't supported by too much of the other B1G press guys.

'Honey-Badger' kicked off team :eek: . Must have been something awful :scan: .

Mathieu was dismissed for a violation of LSU policy, not NCAA policy, from what I understand. But yeah, repeated failed drug tests is a safe bet.

Travell Dixon left Alabama today too, for 'personal reasons'. One of the two JUCO guys who were supposed to come in and help bail us out at cornerback a la DeQuan Menzie, Dixon had had less success in climbing the depth chart thus far. Consistently working with the twos at practice, he still would have presumably seen a lot of playing time considering how much time we spend in nickel and dime :dunno: So maybe there's more to it, but it looks like he was just disappointed that he wasn't going to be starting . . .

Ohio State losing to UCF would be painful. EDIT: Illinois too, come to think of it. Let me ask you this, and gain some insight into the Big Ten mind. If you HAD to lose one of Michigan, Cal, Illinois or UCF, which would you pick? I ignore Nebraska because it seems like an easy out -- New to the Big Ten but a quality program, so no shame losing there . . .

Cal. UCF would be somewhat embarrassing. Michigan is just right out. A losing season with a Michigan win is better than a 7-5 season with a Michigan loss.

There is NO WAY Penn State wins 8 games. They're best returning WR is a fullback. Their returning QB is horrible, and they lost their best tailback. They will struggle to score 21 points a game.

As for the lawsuit, the rule that one must wait 1 year before transferring to any other D1A school may be an illegal non-compete clause. Any clause of comparable scope in private industry would be smacked down. I think it's worth a court challenge.

Odds on LSU winning the SEC have dropped from 2 to 1 to 5 to 2 after Mathieu's dismissal, which makes LSU a nice place to put your money if you ask me :dunno:

Meanwhile, Alabama lost another DB. Junior safety Jarrick Williams tore his ACL and is out for the season. A perennial second teamer, he played mostly on special teams but it's still the loss of depth and more importantly experience for our young secondary. We spend far more than half our defensive plays in nickel and dime and now have only five DBs with meaningful game experience, plus JUCO CB Belue. Yet somehow our odds to win the SEC remain at 2 to 1. Hmm.

No real news out of today's first scrimmage of fall, except that we don't have a viable backup at QB. But we pretty much knew that already. Happily, we also have the nation's best O-line :bounce:

Cal. UCF would be somewhat embarrassing. Michigan is just right out. A losing season with a Michigan win is better than a 7-5 season with a Michigan loss.
Likewise, a 1-11 season with an Ohio State win is better then a 11-1 season with an Ohio State loss. :mischief:

I've just never really gotten into the hate part of rivalries I guess. I'd much rather lose to Auburn while still winning the West than beat Auburn and finish second in the West to LSU or somebody. It's the winning something beyond just single games, be it the division, conference, national title or whatever, that makes the season worthwhile . . .

I was exaggerating a bit, of course. :p

Still though, the Michigan-Ohio State football rivalry is one of the most intense sports rivalries of all time.

I've just never really gotten into the hate part of rivalries I guess. I'd much rather lose to Auburn while still winning the West than beat Auburn and finish second in the West to LSU or somebody. It's the winning something beyond just single games, be it the division, conference, national title or whatever, that makes the season worthwhile . . .
And that's why Alabama-Auburn isn't in the same hallowed ranks as Georgia-Florida, Lehigh-Lafayette, or Michigan-Ohio State.

And that's why Alabama-Auburn isn't in the same hallowed ranks as Georgia-Florida, Lehigh-Lafayette, or Michigan-Ohio State.

No, that's just why I'm not as insane as the average college football fan. How many Georgia, Florida, Lehigh, Lafayette, Michigan or Ohio State fans have committed felonies in the past year in the name of fandom?

I'd argue that having a front row seat since birth to the most intense rivalry in all of American sport is what has taught me to see the broader picture . . .

EDIT: Once again, forgot why I came here. Alabama's practice group at secondary now includes a walk on that Alabama beat reporters were incapable of identifying by name. Seriously y'all, this DB thing is a big deal . . .

Is mayonnaise* a felony?

*vandalism

Just making sure everyone's getting into season shape. We're only a couple of weeks off and I don't think a lot of y'all are riled up enough ;)

I'm a bit on the anxious side.

Top Bottom