Japanese develop 'female' android

Knight-Dragon

Unhidden Dragon
Retired Moderator
:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4714135.stm

Professor Ishiguru (r) stresses the importance of appearance
Japanese scientists have unveiled the most human-looking robot yet devised - a "female" android called Repliee Q1.

She has flexible silicone for skin rather than hard plastic, and a number of sensors and motors to allow her to turn and react in a human-like manner.

She can flutter her eyelids and move her hands like a human. She even appears to breathe.

Professor Hiroshi Ishiguru of Osaka University says one day robots could fool us into believing they are human.

Repliee Q1 is not like any robot you will have seen before, at least outside of science-fiction movies.

She is designed to look human and although she can only sit at present, she has 31 actuators in her upper body, powered by a nearby air compressor, programmed to allow her to move like a human.

"I have developed many robots before," Repliee Q1's designer, Professor Ishiguru, told the BBC News website, "but I soon realised the importance of its appearance. A human-like appearance gives a robot a strong feeling of presence."

Designed to look human

Before Repliee Q1, Professor Ishiguru developed Repliee R1 which had the appearance of a five-year-old Japanese girl.

Its head could move in nine directions and it could gesture with its arm. Four high-sensitivity tactile sensors were placed under the skin of its left arm that made the android react differently to differing pressures.

The follow-up has the appearance of a Japanese woman. To program her motion, a computer analysed the motions of a human and used them as a template for the way Repliee Q1 moves.

She can be designed to follow the movement of a human wearing motion sensors or to act independently.

"Repliee Q1 can interact with people. It can respond to people touching it. It's very satisfying, although we obviously have a long way to go yet."

Professor Ishiguru believes that it may prove possible to build an android that could pass for a human, if only for a brief period.

"An android could get away with it for a short time, 5-10 seconds. However, if we carefully select the situation, we could extend that, to perhaps 10 minutes," he said.

"More importantly, we have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her. Consciously, it is easy to see that she is an android, but unconsciously, we react to the android as if she were a woman."

Scientists think that, one day, robots could fool us into believing they were human

Scientists think that, one day, robots could fool us into believing they were human

This scares me. I don't really know why, maybe I'm afraid I'll sleep with a robot when it says its a real human, maybe it will commit a crime and we will think it is one of our species, maybe it could run for office...

Godwynn said:
This scares me. I don't really know why, maybe I'm afraid I'll sleep with a robot when it says its a real human, maybe it will commit a crime and we will think it is one of our species, maybe it could run for office...
Actually, robots have already ran for office...

I like the girl one better then Gorebot 3000, but I still think they can do better. I am waiting for Angelina Joliebot.

Soon, as robotics and AI technology advances. We will soon see Guris (From Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire) running around the planet.

Babbler said:
OMG, this scientist has been reading too many mangas and watching too many animes...
Or been reading Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire to many times

Poster formerly known as XIII said:
That is if AI technology is advanced enough for them to develop ghosts (Ghost in the Shell term)

Wow the first fembot (Austin Powers). They could improve the looks, though. :drool:

They should make the CHI andriod from Chobits.

Hmmm...most intreating.....is this available for sale yet? Perhaps some additions could be made such as the machine guns in the breasts? They could be used as seducing assians.
I have a feeling lots of lonely men will be buying these robots.

Brilliant!!! I'll order 500 for my factory and the whole (human) workforce can go do something else.

I mean who needs humans when you have robots, who don't answer back, get preganant or want a pay rise?

Robot Rights Group protests this clear violation of robot rights. Robots have feelings too and should be considered equal by law. We demand fair treatment for our robot bretheran!!

Wow, didn't think we'd see anything that lifelike for a long time. Wonder if we will become a leisure society or rich/poor society.

A'AbarachAmadan said:
Wow, didn't think we'd see anything that lifelike for a long time. Wonder if we will become a leisure society or rich/poor society.

Well you know about "The Luddites" right? This is simply another piece of machinery to replace a human's job - just like so many other pieces of technology which have deprived working class families of their livelihoods.

When you ask: 'Will we become more of a lesiure society?' I doubt it. All those other wonderful machines haven't let us 'chill more'. We still have our 38-40hr+ working weeks.

The economic elite together with government consistently ensure that we work our butts off to produce excessive amounts of crap that people don't want anyway. I don't see a robot changing their minds so quickly - in fact it indicates quite the opposite - MORE production of useless junk to force down our throats, all wrapped up in misleading, glossy and intrusive advertising.

The robot's the good thing but the system it is born in to will turn it into something hideous

I wonder when they'll come out with a R. Daneel Olivaw model. That would be pretty sweet....

"Partner David, shall I finish this algebra for you? It seems to be giving you a headache, and I cannot stand by while a human being is harmed."

:goodjob:

Rambuchan said:
Brilliant!!! I'll order 500 for my factory and the whole (human) workforce can go do something else.
From what I hear, factory owners have to pay union fees for their robotic workers. Now that's creepy :crazyeye:
I mean who needs humans when you have robots, who don't answer back, get preganant or want a pay rise?
What makes you sure they won't? :p

Top Bottom