C2C - Units

Flamethrower? Could work, but would have a chance of starting said fires, and would increase flammability slightly. Would that make sense? (Old WW2 Flamethrowers, for instance, had a chance of EXPLODING)

Flamethrower? Could work, but would have a chance of starting said fires, and would increase flammability slightly. Would that make sense? (Old WW2 Flamethrowers, for instance, had a chance of EXPLODING)

A do their Classic era Roman equivalents;). Then there are "Fire Ships" and "Fire Balloons".

Already have Fire Ships, they're called Dromons. The fire balloon sounds interesting though.

Fire Zeplins (hydrogen for lift) even more so ;-) Could combine with the idea of suicide units!

i was just wandering, can caravans be made to be like the were in civ 2 (tranporting food across cities for example).

A few thoughts on unit tweaks that I have noticed while playing in the Galactic Era:

The Medic unit's upgrades have an inconsistency problem. Once Naval Yard replaces Drydock, you cannot build Hospital Ship any more. If you cannot build Hospital Ship, Medic reappears in the build options. I think we should make Hospital Ship buildable with Drydock OR Naval Yard so that the Medic stays off the list.

Clockwork Golem needs a "Force Obsolete" somewhere, because it doesn't upgrade to anything and doesn't obsolete, so it still shows up in the build list during the Galactic Era. I suggest making it obsolete at Artillery. I think those shells would be too tough to withstand and too fast for the Clockwork Golem to dodge.

Lord and Viceroy are also showing up in the build list during the Galactic Era. Should they be tied to civics? We are tying the Imperial Guard units to civics now.

Does anyone have a good model for Motorized Infantry? This is a unit that I would like to include because I have a problem with the upgrade from Modern Infantry to Mechanized Infantry. Mechanized Infantry are classified as a Tracked unit, not a Gunpowder unit, so they are ineligible for City Garrison promotions.

Motorized Infantry are equipped with trucks, not armored personnel carriers, and the trucks can move the troops but do not fight. They would be a little stronger than Modern Infantry because of more maneuverability, but would still be classified as a Gunpowder unit.

These are the statistics I have in mind:
  • Strength 55
  • Move 2
  • Cost 500
  • Technologies: Manufacturing, Mechanized Warfare
  • Resources: Ammunition, Automobiles
  • Can be drafted
  • +25% city defense
  • +25% vs. Gunpowder units
  • Upgrades to Special Infantry or Tesla Infantry
  • Can upgrade from any unit that upgrades to Mechanized Infantry (Modern Infantry, Flamethrower, Viet Cong, Anti-Tank, Machine Gun, BTR80)

There are some truck models here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12449. I think the Opel Blitz or Studebaker would work, but if anyone has another model that I didn't see in the downloads database, that would work too. (Realism Invictus and Legends of Revolution both have Motorized Infantry, but I'd rather not steal directly from them.) I'm not sure what to use for animation, because the truck shouldn't fight.

Another option would be to use the Italia-Fiat 38 from here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13705. There are no animations with this, and the files say to use the Mechanized Infantry animations. I might try that out and see what it looks like.

@Vokarya

1. Clockwork Golem Force Obsolete should be Modern Warfare IMO. I sort of see them as a Tank on two legs, and Artillery does not really get accurate enough to hit these things until the Modern Era.

2. I'd be fine with using the RI Motorized infantry graphics, we already have a lot of their art assets in C2C. We just need to give them credit for the art.

I also think we should just make an exception to allow Mech infantry city defense as well... I'm not quite there yet in my game but yeah, that'd be irritating to not be able to give them that. Additionally, I've been thinking that wheeled and tracked units need to be given more consideration as to what promos they are allowed, even giving them some unique ones.

@Vokarya

1. Clockwork Golem Force Obsolete should be Modern Warfare IMO. I sort of see them as a Tank on two legs, and Artillery does not really get accurate enough to hit these things until the Modern Era.

2. I'd be fine with using the RI Motorized infantry graphics, we already have a lot of their art assets in C2C. We just need to give them credit for the art.

OK. Both of those work for me. Whose responsibility is the Golem? I'll code up the Motorized Infantry and post it soon.

OK. Both of those work for me. Whose responsibility is the Golem? I'll code up the Motorized Infantry and post it soon.

Mine, theoretically. If you want you can just make a new folder, Modules/Vokarya/Units or something, and put the motorized infantry there on the SVN.

A few thoughts on unit tweaks that I have noticed while playing in the Galactic Era:

The Medic unit's upgrades have an inconsistency problem. Once Naval Yard replaces Drydock, you cannot build Hospital Ship any more. If you cannot build Hospital Ship, Medic reappears in the build options. I think we should make Hospital Ship buildable with Drydock OR Naval Yard so that the Medic stays off the list.

The boat and aircraft linage will eventually merge into Medevac Dropships. I don't have the stats or graphics figured out yet. Sorry for late game stuff not being all in yet.

Clockwork Golem needs a "Force Obsolete" somewhere, because it doesn't upgrade to anything and doesn't obsolete, so it still shows up in the build list during the Galactic Era. I suggest making it obsolete at Artillery. I think those shells would be too tough to withstand and too fast for the Clockwork Golem to dodge.

Hmm. Maybe at Robotics or something. Seems like they could still be used for a long time.

Does anyone have a good model for Motorized Infantry? This is a unit that I would like to include because I have a problem with the upgrade from Modern Infantry to Mechanized Infantry. Mechanized Infantry are classified as a Tracked unit, not a Gunpowder unit, so they are ineligible for City Garrison promotions.

Motorized Infantry are equipped with trucks, not armored personnel carriers, and the trucks can move the troops but do not fight. They would be a little stronger than Modern Infantry because of more maneuverability, but would still be classified as a Gunpowder unit.

I have some ideas to keep the Infantry on their own path and the Wheeled Units on theirs since we have lots of wheeled units.

I have some ideas to keep the Infantry on their own path and the Wheeled Units on theirs since we have lots of wheeled units.

I have the Motorized Infantry done, but not uploaded yet. I'm working on the Highwayman that I suggested in the New Buildings thread (to go along with the Highwayman's Hideout).

Hmm. Maybe at Robotics or something. Seems like they could still be used for a long time.

ls612 made the Clockwork Golem obsolete at Modern Warfare. That way it lasts for all of the Renaissance/Industrial/most of the Modern Era.

As far as the Medevac Dropship goes, that will work. I just happened to notice the Medic on the build list and I thought that was strange.

I got the two units completed and uploaded to the SVN. Here's the Motorized Infantry; it uses the art from Realism Invictus.

View attachment 321243
View attachment 321244
View attachment 321245

I think all the units that can upgrade to Mechanized Infantry should be allowed to upgrade to Motorized Infantry as well:
  • Anti-Tank
  • BTR80
  • Flamethrower
  • Machine Gun
  • Modern Infantry
  • Viet Cong

I'll leave that to the modders responsible for those units. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

The second unit is the Highwayman. This goes along with the Highwayman's Hideout building that I created a little while ago. I couldn't find a good Highwayman model. The closest thing I could find was the Black Rider, but I didn't like that it had a sword. Highwayman is a gunpowder unit. So I was able to re-paint the Cuirassier with the Black Rider skins. I think the result looks pretty cool. What do you think?

View attachment 321246
View attachment 321247
View attachment 321248

Bandit Rider should probably upgrade to Highwayman. Let me know if there are any tweaks I should make.

Top Bottom