New Buildings Discussion

Tech: Controlled Fire
Building: Bonfire
+ 1 :culture:
Obsolete with Fire Pit
Cost: 15 :hammers:

Controlled Fire and many other of the new techs will have buildings/promotions that are only available the Nomad units. In this case it would be something like the promotion "Fire Stick" when moving and "Fire" when a temporary settlement, both providing a +1:health: and +1:).

Tech: Controlled Fire
Building: Bonfire
+ 1 :culture:
Obsolete with Fire Pit

Actually I am going to make a National Wonder called "Captured Fire" it will give you a free Firepit. It will go obsolete at Fire Making. Note that the Firepit will stay at Fire Making tech still so it allow s you to make the building early.

Note this would be for non-nomads. Unlike DH's idea.

Modern Health Care TECH
Building: Stem Cell Research Center
(~2010 AD)
Obsolete with Replacement Organs
Replaced By Human Bodyshop

New Tech: 3d Printing

Replacement Organs TECH
Building: Human Bodyshop
(~2045 AD)
Also requires 3d Printing
Replaces Stem Cell Research Center
Obsolete with Cybernetics
Replaced by Bioenchancement Center

Here's an idea I had to try and tie up all the loose ends from the Siege Weapons Workshop so the Cannon Forge can replace it: a Cannon Turret to replace the Ballista Turret. I may try and work on this myself if I can finish my current game (Giant world, Snail speed - vast).

Cannon Turret
Cost: 200 hammers (2x Speed for Protective Leaders)
Gold: -1
Flammability: +5
Required Technology: Gunpowder
Obsolete Technology: Economics
Required Buildings: Cannon Forge, Castle
Required City Size: 6
Deals 25% damage to adjacent enemy units per turn
+1 unhappy with Pacifism
Replaces Ballista Turret

Bookkeeper?

I think this moght work the best:

Arithmetic
Building: Weighing scales (5000 B.C)
Obsoletes Counting Stones
Obsoletes Tally Sticks

But seriously changing it to "Mission to the Highest Peak on Earth" doesn't sound as cool.

The natural Wonder mod may be what you are looking for.

@MrAzure, I have made the two balloon buildings but they may need a bit of tweaking. I am about to make the Blimp Advertizing one.

@All Which has me thinking of "what if the Hindenburg Disaster never took place"? I believe we have the event but what happens in games where the event does not happen. Flight by airship is better but slower than by plane (no throwing up, better service etc.)

So can we make a bunch of buildings and units that only go obsolete if an event happens?

So they would rather go up in untested balloons rather than those that have been tested by the rigour of war?

Well i think both might have point.. because both things are exiting. One becasue it is new and untested exept by a few daring ones, the other because of the thrill of getting shot maybe :D

You were correct! according to my book, History: The definitive visual guide (ISbn-978-0-7566-6596-8)
So maybe:

Clay Tokens Maker
Clay Seal Maker
This is quite fascinating..1000 years before writing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulla_(seal)
http://it.stlawu.edu/~dmelvill/mesomath/tokens.html

I think this moght work the best:

Arithmetic
Building: Weighing scales (5000 B.C)
Obsoletes Counting Stones
Obsoletes Tally Sticks

What about:-

A Counter's Hut at Arithmetic +2 :hammers: +2 :science: requires common clay replaces "Counting Sticks" and "Tally Stones". Obsolete at Mathematics.

Seal Maker (Arithmetic and Sculpture). -5% crime +culture

What tool are they using to count with?

EDIT: Here are Icon/Buttons for the Weighing Scales and Seal Maker.

I was going to use these when I made those buildings but if you are making them then less work for me.

Also I think there should be +1 :gold: for the seal maker.

They use clay shapes for various goods and numbers plus seal them in a clay envelope when recording deals. This is one of th things that lead to writing after all.

I'll do these two buildings in the next day or two.

Hydro attached are a couple of buildings for the Arithmetic tech. They are not quite right so you will need to do a small bit of work on them, I think I used the wrong commerce tags and I know there is a spelling error in the pedia entry.

Not for general use, but be warned the taxman commeth :D

Hydro attached are a couple of buildings for the Arithmetic tech. They are not quite right so you will need to do a small bit of work on them, I think I used the wrong commerce tags and I know there is a spelling error in the pedia entry.

Would you like me to add them to my mods?

I finished coding three new buildings. Two are designed to be upgrades of existing buildings.

The Star Fort is an upgrade to the Castle.

View attachment 320426

The Cannon Turret is an upgrade to the Ballista Turret. I created this specifically to allow Cannon Forge to replace Siege Weapons Workshop.

View attachment 320427

Finally, I was looking through the Crime buildings and there were not a lot of crime buildings between the Ancient Era and the Industrial Era. The Highwayman's Hideout is to help fill this in a little. There will be a Highwayman unit, as a Renaissance-era Bandit Rider-- I haven't coded this yet. I originally thought to have this at Flintlock, but I think it needs to be alive a bit longer, so it only requires Matchlock.

View attachment 320429

Comments?

Should the Counter's Hut and Seal Maker have obsoleting techs? I was able to build them in the Transhuman Era after updating my SVN and it seems weird to be able to build them that late.

@Vokarya

Those 3 look good. We may want to think about Artillery Turrets and some sort of "Bunker Fort" as an upgrade to those. I am not sure what the proper name should be but I am thinking something from WWI or WWII.

Probably. I'm also surprised we don't have a building prerequisite for Artillery. We have Siege Weapons Workshop for the Classical and Medieval eras, and the Cannon Forge for the Renaissance era, but nothing after that. The Cannon Forge would want to be replaced by the artillery building.

I also noticed that we don't have a unit that is simply "Cannon". We have a lot of specially-named siege guns, but no simple Cannon.

Top Bottom