Viewports

Save posted.
Yes, directly on load I try F5, or the advisor button, and it crashes. 7 times in a row, been trying with different settings in the Viewport file.
Last time, 8th, was without Viewports active. Which didn't crash, of course.

Cheers

Save posted.
Yes, directly on load I try F5, or the advisor button, and it crashes. 7 times in a row, been trying with different settings in the Viewport file.
Last time, 8th, was without Viewports active. Which didn't crash, of course.

Cheers

Any particular viewport size? (40 X 40 defaults??)

Tried with default and 60 x 60 too.
And the last one on both 2 and 5.
Tried in both Windowed and Full Screen modes too.
And tried using the button instead of the F5 in both Window and Full Screen modes.

Cheers

yeah i just tried to click on military advisor and ctd seconds ago, just default settings.

*edit; I just tried a non GEM game, its only on a large map and it worked fine.
*edit 2; well it crashed when I attacked a unit, but the military advisor worked, and it allowed me to adjust the viewport. There were a few graphical bugs, like the tiles being worked inside cities- I couldn't differentiate b/w worked and idle, and a few barb units didn't have flags identifying themselves, I could tell they were barbs coz they were black tho.

I oddly enough have not been experiencing any of the errors others have been reporting, I must just be really lucky.:rolleyes: Anyway, the Viewports are awesome, as now I can use Multiple Unit graphics on a Gigantic map, whereas before that would have meant instant MAF. Great job Koshling!:goodjob:

I have come to the conclusion my computer was doing some background work when I was having the problems with graphics I reported. It seems to have gone away now.

@Koshling

Ok its repeatable. I am reloading my game now to get a save for you. Basically I clicked on a horse and then right clicked on the black border and POOF! The game disappears without even saying it had an error.

Ok so its tricky to get it to repeat but this is what you need to do.

1. I use SVN v3047.
2. My viewport size is 40x40 (aka default)
3. Find the city called "Sagres".
4. Inside the city is a Horse Crossbowman called "MOVE ME".
5. There is a line of Heavy Pikemen going North to South that is west of Sagres.
6. Make sure the viewport covers the tiles just on the other side of this line of Heavy Pikemen.
7. This should make the city of "Leiria" just off the screen of the viewport.
8. Select the Horse Crossbowman and move it 3 tiles to the east (only 2 tiles to the black border).
9. Make sure you are doing this by right clicking on the black border.
10. Once you let go the game should disappear and you are back to the desktop with no error messages.

@Koshling

Just wanted to thank you since I was able to load a Giant Earth Map without my computer crashing. I have not ever loaded it for C2C before. Only Vanilla Civ4. So thank you!!! :worship:

EDIT: Aw nuts!! I press enter for my first turn and the game crashes!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I knew it was too good to be true. Guess the only solution now is to upgrade my computer. :(

Here is a mini-dump anyways. :undecide:

At least I can watch the Let's Play of that map.

@Koshling

Just wanted to thank you since I was able to load a Giant Earth Map without my computer crashing. I have not ever loaded it for C2C before. Only Vanilla Civ4. So thank you!!! :worship:

EDIT: Aw nuts!! I press enter for my first turn and the game crashes!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I knew it was too good to be true. Guess the only solution now is to upgrade my computer. :(

Here is a mini-dump anyways. :undecide:

At least I can watch the Let's Play of that map.

The minidump is very useful, and it doesn't appear to be related to viewports or your memory lack. Its crashing in the property system.

@AIAndy - could you take a look at this one please (SVN rev 3048 for the DLL/PDB)

@Hydro - do you have the save game that reproduces the crash also please?

Crash to desktop when attempting to enter F5 (Military Advisor).
I have a Mini-dump file for you to examine K, I highly doubt a save game would help as it's likely my PC that makes it happen but if you want it I can supply that too.

Cheers

Can't reproduce this one I'm afraid (but it's possible one of the other fixes solved it, so try with latest SVN)

I tried loading my current GEM game with viewports on - they indeed do work and memory usage went down alot, but there is serious problem - resources icons are all messed up in a way that i have in my field of view resource icons from half globe and resources on terrain are not displayed. Screenshot attached.

Also, when i point units to go with pressing G+click they go to totally different place.

Fixed the resource layer display (also the culture layer, religion layer, and enemy unit layer if you activate them in globe view).

G + click is handled differently than a right-click move it turns out, as are other missions that work by a command followed by a separate click (e.g. - ranged bombard). I wasn't translating coordinates correctly in these cases. This is now fixed.

Ok so its tricky to get it to repeat but this is what you need to do.

1. I use SVN v3047.
2. My viewport size is 40x40 (aka default)
3. Find the city called "Sagres".
4. Inside the city is a Horse Crossbowman called "MOVE ME".
5. There is a line of Heavy Pikemen going North to South that is west of Sagres.
6. Make sure the viewport covers the tiles just on the other side of this line of Heavy Pikemen.
7. This should make the city of "Leiria" just off the screen of the viewport.
8. Select the Horse Crossbowman and move it 3 tiles to the east (only 2 tiles to the black border).
9. Make sure you are doing this by right clicking on the black border.
10. Once you let go the game should disappear and you are back to the desktop with no error messages.

Fixed (it only applied to clicking off the right hand side, not the left, but it now won't react to clciks off the viewport on either side, as it shouldn't). Also fixed the fact that you couldn't move the viewport to straddle the 0 meridian (which is right where your line of pikemen are), despite the fact that the map wraps.

The minidump is very useful, and it doesn't appear to be related to viewports or your memory lack. Its crashing in the property system.

@Hydro - do you have the save game that reproduces the crash also please?

Well since it was the Giant Earth Map on the first turn the save game would be just that I guess. Did not even have time to save it yet.

Fixed (it only applied to clicking off the right hand side, not the left, but it now won't react to clciks off the viewport on either side, as it shouldn't). Also fixed the fact that you couldn't move the viewport to straddle the 0 meridian (which is right where your line of pikemen are), despite the fact that the map wraps.

Wow the 0 meridian! Those pikemen where there for a long time in my game and starred out as spearmen. It was only later once I circumvented the globe that I discovered where my empire was located on the globe. So it was only by chance they were placed there. It was an old border line with the Portuguese.

Well since it was the Giant Earth Map on the first turn the save game would be just that I guess. Did not even have time to save it yet.
Without having looked at the Minidump yet, was that the GEM version with the bad civic definition? There was a typo there in one version that caused one of the players to have no civic but the code expects that everyone must have a civic active in each category (and I consider that a valid expectation as there is no way to have no civic except by that kind of bug).

I think we have a problem with initial spawning of civilizations.

I started this game and was placed extremely near 7 other civs (out of 15) on a huge map. My viewports are currently set to 60x60 (still tweaking size for my taste).

Edit: This is SVN Revision 3065.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-50000.rar
    245.1 KB · Views: 69
I think we have a problem with initial spawning of civilizations.

I started this game and was placed extremely near 7 other civs (out of 15) on a huge map. My viewports are currently set to 60x60 (still tweaking size for my taste).

Edit: This is SVN Revision 3065.
Placement of civilizations is usually done by the map scripts so which one did you use?

Placement of civilizations is usually done by the map scripts so which one did you use?

PerfectMongoose v 3.10 with the option to start everywhere rather than in the old world.

I just posted a worst example of the grouping of civs, in other new games (3 so far) I would have 3-4 other civs within the initial viewport area.

@AIAndy

Turns out I DID save before I pressed enter. Here is the saved file. Sorry. :blush:

That looks like the GEM version with the bad civic definition.
One, the start date is in 40k BC, which should be 50k in the fixed version.

Try the newer version of the map found in the GEM topic to see if that goes past the first turn.

Top Bottom