Early exploration

But also not necessarily the kind of game one wants.

Besides it's not only about exploration times. It's about how some like the feel of a game.
For instance I like to have contact with a few early civs and like to play on a more Pangea like world, or a few large continents. Both of those won't work unless curbing the starting civs to being only 2 AI because it doesn't take long, at least well before Ancient Era, to have met or established contact with ALL civs on the contient one starts on, even if sitting at home yourself.

Considering realism AND game feel this is partly why I would like to have slower exploration though I suppose it could be partly solved by not only treating other civs as hostile (with minor civ start on) but also requiring a certain continuous contact to keep that contact. (never really understood why Espionage would work on a nation across an entire Pangea while still in Prehistoric Era...)

As for Terrain Damage and using that to curb exploration, it would, but that does not mean those taht like Terrain Damaage and would prefer slower exploration have to like or even enjoy maps sprawled with deserts/tundra. I like some but absolutely love lush areas with plenty of rivers.

So for me at least the suggestion of using specific maps to attempt to solve a completely different question of game play is not a great point at all, rather an insult. After all I'm accepting that some or even most like the strategic layer of exploring as much as possible early on to know thyne land and defensive spots, city placements, faster knowing of resource placements, and so on, and for that reason haven't tried pushing you guys into doing specific maps, layouts, using certain options, or wanted to have "slower exploration" in the Core game but rather as an option.

I'm no longer feeling the community like I used to. It's more hostile and more people seem to think that what they "know" is the only right way of interpreting the parts of history we have information about.

Regardless, anything the community suggest can only happen if a modder feels the urge to do something along the lines of what was suggested. This here was suggested and discussed a while back but nothing happened then, put on hold. If it now is totally against the modders still remaining then I'll just leave it be, and would appreciate if you guys said something along those lines so we/I know.

Cheers

I think I have converted Platyping's Restricted Movement mod to BUG 4 but this cold is making me fuzzy headed so I am not sure I have tested it well enough. I want to move the "parameters" outside of the python and then start the conversion to C2C. Currently only technology and promotions affect how far a unit can move. I reckon we would need to have combat class (hunter, recon, wooden ship and other) as well as bonuses eg baskets and pottery for carrying supplies.

Wasn't there plans to at one point, to incorporate this with the equipment and/or supplies/logistic part of the combat mod?

Essentially something along the lines of each unit having a supplies property w/ a max value and a current value. (based on unit type, etc) The current supplies value drop each turn unless your in a friendly city, or inside your borders. When current supplies reach zero the unit start taking damage and cannot heal.

A unit can sit for a turn and "forage" and can gain a fixed number of supplies based on the food and/or resource yield of the tile they are sitting on, or if they can pillage gain a lot of supplies for doing that.

Early units wont have a high max supply value nor a high consumption rate, but balance so that sending them too far away result in them dying off. Recons and hunter have a better chance (better forage yields and/or lower consumption rates)

As unit types advance, the max values, consumption rate and so on change, eventually to the point where 'living offf the land' becomes increasingly difficult, hence the need for a supply/logistics train, via literal special supply wagon then trucks, and so on line of units.

Well... all that goes well beyond early exploration, but the point is a well made supply system combat mod is one way of limiting too fast early exploration.

Wasn't there plans to at one point, to incorporate this with the equipment and/or supplies/logistic part of the combat mod?

Essentially something along the lines of each unit having a supplies property w/ a max value and a current value. (based on unit type, etc) The current supplies value drop each turn unless your in a friendly city, or inside your borders. When current supplies reach zero the unit start taking damage and cannot heal.

A unit can sit for a turn and "forage" and can gain a fixed number of supplies based on the food and/or resource yield of the tile they are sitting on, or if they can pillage gain a lot of supplies for doing that.

Early units wont have a high max supply value nor a high consumption rate, but balance so that sending them too far away result in them dying off. Recons and hunter have a better chance (better forage yields and/or lower consumption rates)

As unit types advance, the max values, consumption rate and so on change, eventually to the point where 'living offf the land' becomes increasingly difficult, hence the need for a supply/logistics train, via literal special supply wagon then trucks, and so on line of units.

Well... all that goes well beyond early exploration, but the point is a well made supply system combat mod is one way of limiting too fast early exploration.
This is very much like what I have in mind yes... in fact the way you put it is very well put and helps to develop the concept further. I'm right around the corner from some generic modding projects that would move us very close to being able to do this... There's a lot of distractions from that progress is all.

This is something I'm really looking for, whatever the solution is, it would be great to have it as an option.

Top Bottom