Hulfgar's Modpack

thank u very much

about the industrial era thing i dont spend ur time for me i dont want such a thing.also i didnt say making a new tech tree but just disabling further research like in the mod end of industrial in which the modern era mods appear red and are passed but future tech is enabled so when u finish the industrial techologies u research option is only future tech

Hi Hulfgar,

Again, I am unable to install your latest version. The interesting part is one of the DLC pieces worked fine. Could I trouble you to put up a different link again. Those seem to work well.

Thank you again for all the help and the great Mod!

Steve

It's not a question of how much work it is for me Pavlos because I want to do it for myself as well. Industrial units are juste more fun to play, especially because we have so much diversity with them. With the modern units it's back to one model for everybody :(

It's more a question of how long you can wait for it :)

Because "just disabling" some techs is not as simple : you have to disable everything that is bound to those techs or the game will crash.

As I said I can give you a quick version where only the modern units are disabled (just need to take the time to test the compatibility with 10.2) and in the meantime I will work on a full polished version :)

Think there is a conflicting mod, I did have both YNAEMP and Hulfgar's Modpack both enabled in one game once and every other resources except stone is missing...

Hi, is there a fix regarding this? If i start a ynaemp game together with Hulfgars modpack all resources beside the strategic ones (oil, iron, ...) and the bonus resources at starting locations won`t be set.

Hello Tanon,

Hi, is there a fix regarding this?

not at this time.

Reasons are :

To fix the conflict I will need the help of somebody who understands the "mechanics of resources" :
If it's only xml I should be able to fix it, if it's lua coding I will need some help for it.
The best person for this would be Gedemon because I assume that he knows where the conflict between our mods might be.
But Gedemon is busy with his WWII scenario so before I ask him for some help I want to be sure that ver 10.2 is stable (this is the easy part :) ).

But this is on the to do list and I will work on it as soon as the mods stability is confirmed (in about 1 or 2 weeks depending on how much feedback I have and how many hours I can invest in playtime).

Regretfully I cannot get this to work on my Mac :(

I manually extracted the files and when I activate the mod and start a game, 'BOOM".

Oh well, I guess I'll have to try this on my PC...

i am glad that u like industrial units too.also i cant complain about time and i shall not even if it takes a year because this mod is something u give free so u have all the rights to do whatever u want.for the greek infarty do u usa danrell's ww2 units?
i have noticed that ships are a little compresed.if it is something that u didnt did in purpose and u want to fix this u may want to ask gedemon the creator of red modpack about it.

Hulfgar, I completed a game in 10.2 and ran into the same problemwith CS not sharing aluminium.

I did look at it more closely though and it extends to AI as well. They can be mining aluminium but it won't be shown in the diplomacy list as available for trade (with a CS it is normally shown as there but not becoming available until they get the necessary tech).

It also extends to oil. However, they will then share diesel and kerosene (?) obviously after building an oil refinery. So they get the basic resource. The same applies to the AI.

However, it does not apply to all late game resources as uranium is shown and shared.

Hello Cicerosaurus,

for Oil I suppose this is because the game has moved this resource to bonus resource when I added the strategic resources (Civ 5 can handle only a limited number of strategic resources and even if I didn't change the type of resource for oil it has been moved).
This could explain why the CS will not trade oil but will trade kerosene and diesel : those 2 are handled as strategic resources.

I will check in the civilopedia where Civ5 has put aluminum, oil is not the only resource that has been moved.

I think it's the most plausible explanation for this "bug" because in the mod there is no tweak of the way the AI or CS will trade resources.

I will check if this can be changed but the number of strategic resources that the game can handle may be hardcoded in the dll, I think I read something about this somewhere in this forum.

Maybe I can move timber and ale to bonus resources to free some slots in the strategic, I will try this and keep you informed.

Just some bugs:
Slaver (triremes) have range 2 while the player-built trireme has range 1. They're also particularly deadly, routinely killing my level 2 triremes in one shot, but that may not be a bug.
Several units which require special buildings (e.g. knights, frigates) can be upgraded without building those buildings.

Hello R0GERSHRUBBER,

thanks for this feedback.

Slaver (triremes) have range 2 while the player-built trireme has range 1.
I have downgraded the range of antik ships to 1, because historically they fought either with ramming or with short range weapons and I found it insane to have them shooting 2 tiles inland or at more modern ships.
But as it seems I have forgotten to update the pirate ships, I will correct this.

For their strengh it has not been touched, aside from the adjustments in the Barbarians! part of the mod, which make them tougher.

Several units which require special buildings (e.g. knights, frigates) can be upgraded without building those buildings.
I will look into this, not sure if I can avoid this whithout breaking the upgrade path.

Hey Hulfgar,

Just stopping in for a little skyrim review: The Critics give it a near stellar score, most users are up there too, a few people are pissed off. I'm going to greatly oversimplify my judgement. To me it's like taking the best of Oblivion and Fallout 3 and smushing them together. Then expand on everything people enjoyed about the game and making changes to make things there were boring, fun (like jobs: making potions, armor, etc.). The graphics are much better but not amazing. All-in-all the game is awesome, ginormous and a lot of fun. Combat never seems to get boring (yet). I keep wanting to start over just to try out different specialties (though you can have you character become anything). If you didn't Love, love, love Oblivion, then you may be disappointing with Skyrim as it's really not a game-changer. It's bigger and better in every way but still a sequel. I've probably played for about 50 hours so far and feels like maybe about only 2% of the game, if that?

On a side note, I'm curious/ confused about the embarkation mod. Does the AI have any problems invading by ocean? Is it as seamless as units crossing without transport?

Thanks!

Hello Bslade,

thanks for this Skyrim review now I am sure that I will buy it in a near future :)

On a side note, I'm curious/ confused about the embarkation mod. Does the AI have any problems invading by ocean? Is it as seamless as units crossing without transport?
This why I was reluctanct doing this mod and did it as a separate mod :
We cannot code a new AI (this is bound to the dll) and when you see how bad the AI manage a fleet you can have serious doubt on how it will handle an embarkation mod!
The same applies to the 2 units per tile part :
The AI has been teached to fight with 1 unit per tile, not 2 and we cannot do anything about that.
So I gave it a try but from my point of view embarkation and more than unit per tile give a serious advantage to the human player.
This is why it will stay a separate mod : people can choose to use it or not :)

By the way there is 2 bugs in the current ver 10.2 of the mod :
The scouts/Explorers cannot embark on ships
The Naval counterattack part does not work
Nr.1 is fixed I will release a patch tomorrow and I hope to find a fix for Nr. 2.
The patch will include an update to give the barbarian trireme 1 in range (instead of 2).

I really the new bombardment bonuses, and resources ;)

Can it be taken 1 step further, which is to add manpower as a resource? Something like 1 manpower/5 population (in non-occupied cities!) + a base of 5. On the cost side an infantry consumes 3 manpower, but an armor only 2, and a fighter only 1 (in addition to their other costs).

I have released a patch for ver 10.2.
This will correct the bug preventing scouts and explorers to embark on ships and will downgrade the range of the barbarian trireme to 1.

This patch is compatible to saved games, for download and more instructions see in the 1. post of the thread.

Can it be taken 1 step further, which is to add manpower as a resource? Something like 1 manpower/5 population (in non-occupied cities!) + a base of 5. On the cost side an infantry consumes 3 manpower, but an armor only 2, and a fighter only 1 (in addition to their other costs).

This should be possible, Gedemon made something like this in his WW2 scenario for reinforcements and healing.
But this is beyond what I can code so if somebody can do it and want to be part of this mod the door is open :)

Just finished a game on King; it was much easier than vanilla CiV, so I suspect that the AI has not adapted to the changes well. I enjoyed the mod a lot; great work!

Some issues I noticed:

-The AI seemed to build Scrap Merchants in every city, but they never seemed to build the Lumberjack or Charcoal huts.
-The AI very often seemed to have units with the resource shortage penalty.
-I was able to "defeat" a city with a Special Ops unit, knocking it down to 0 hp. The unit moved into the city, but did not capture it. I had to move that unit out of the city and go in with an Infantry.
-Tanks (medium and heavy) are ridiculously powerful. The only time they ever seemed to take more than 1 damage was when they attacked a city.
-The AI didn't seem to know how powerful tanks are. I wonder if the penalties/bonuses between armor and non-armor units cause the AI to be unable to calculate their strength.
-I doubt it's related to your mod, but I played on a Large, Small Continents, Low Sea Level map and there were only 4 uranium resources.
-Semi-related note: I like the nuclear fuel reprocessing facility (although it's effect is more like a breeder reactor), although maybe it should come with a later technology and be normal (if very expensive) building with a smaller effect.
-In general, it seemed like there was an excess of iron, horses, and aluminum in the game but a deficiency of coal in spite of the charcoal hut. I had an enormous empire, so I don't think this was a local effect, although it may have been the product of the units I favored.
-I recommend trying to avoid technologies with no benefit; try to move an effect from another tech in their chain, renaming the technology if necessary for that to make sense. (For example, move Uranium to the Radioactive Decay tech)
-I would like to see the Timber resource from the lumberjack building tied to the number of forests in the city radius. Not sure if that's possible, but it would be cool.
-In general there are many pedia entries that have incorrect or inconsistent data. Too many to name.
-I like the contractor/etc. units. Never saw the AI use them, but that's not the end of the world as they're quite expensive.
-The mobile artillery units attack animations are broken and take a long time to resolve. They're ridiculously powerful units, though.

edit-I second the idea for Manpower being a strategic resource.

Thanks again.

Hello R0GERSHRUBBER,

thanks for this usefull and very detailed feedback.

-The AI seemed to build Scrap Merchants in every city, but they never seemed to build the Lumberjack or Charcoal huts.
I will adjust the flavors it may help the AI.

-The AI very often seemed to have units with the resource shortage penalty.
Interessant, first guess is that the AI got those units from city states.

-I was able to "defeat" a city with a Special Ops unit, knocking it down to 0 hp. The unit moved into the city, but did not capture it. I had to move that unit out of the city and go in with an Infantry.
I will check this, the Spec ops should be able to capture a city.

Tanks (medium and heavy) are ridiculously powerful.
VS which units ? if it's vs non gun units it's what I wanted (I find it insane when tanks are damaged from cavalry or melee attacks).
Early and light tanks were very vulnerable to medium tanks but should be able to deal some damage. I will probably need to adjust the balance here.

I wonder if the penalties/bonuses between armor and non-armor units cause the AI to be unable to calculate their strength.
Maybe, I should increase the flavor of tanks in attack.
Or it is because they require a building and a resource. I will check the flavor of the buildings :)

I doubt it's related to your mod, but I played on a Large, Small Continents, Low Sea Level map and there were only 4 uranium resources.
No nothing related, but thi why I made the resource part of the mod : I don't like to have to declare war just to secure a resource, it's uncivilized :)

-Semi-related note: I like the nuclear fuel reprocessing facility (although it's effect is more like a breeder reactor), although maybe it should come with a later technology and be normal (if very expensive) building with a smaller effect.
Good idea! I will probably do this.

In general, it seemed like there was an excess of iron, horses, and aluminum in the game but a deficiency of coal in spite of the charcoal hut. I had an enormous empire, so I don't think this was a local effect, although it may have been the product of the units I favored.
Yes at some time you may need more resource than what you can get. For the horses it's game related, but I could make a new building to have more horses :)

I recommend trying to avoid technologies with no benefit; try to move an effect from another tech in their chain, renaming the technology if necessary for that to make sense. (For example, move Uranium to the Radioactive Decay tech)

I agree, I will work on this.
Some techs are placeholders to avoid broken pipes in the tech tree. Those broken pipes may have triggered a broken tech tree for some users. Now I should give those techs more sense.

I would like to see the Timber resource from the lumberjack building tied to the number of forests in the city radius. Not sure if that's possible, but it would be cool.
Same for me, but not possible at this time :(

In general there are many pedia entries that have incorrect or inconsistent data. Too many to name.
In english ? I have to update a lot of the vanilla pedia entries, to be honest I wanted to have the mod running fine before investing a lot of time in the pedia.

-I like the contractor/etc. units. Never saw the AI use them, but that's not the end of the world as they're quite expensive.
Yes the AI don't really know to use them. They are an option for the human player, the cost is here to balance this advantage.

The mobile artillery units attack animations are broken and take a long time to resolve. They're ridiculously powerful units, though.
I will look into this, I may have missed a file update from Danrell.
And I probably need to balance them.

I enjoyed the mod a lot; great work!

Thanks again, I will try to make it better with your remarks :)

Top Bottom