Defending cities...

brasaelal

Warlord
When defending cities, which units do you try to kill first?

Meele, range or siege units?

Usually I try to take down meele units first, because those are the units that can capture cities.

But sometimes the AI comes with few meele and several range/siege that put my city's strenght close to zero in few turns while I'm trying to kill their meele units.

It depends. If the city is not going to get into trouble if you take out the siege first, the melee units will do you a favor by attacking the city (even ignoring your own units standing right beside them) and knocking themselves down to red. They can then be easily picked off. Other times you have to pick off melee, hoping the AI is too stupid to send more even though your city is knocked down to black. Sometimes you even want to keep a ranged unit around, because he's standing on the only available spot to melee the city from and the AI is too stupid to move it.

I generally do this:
-If the AI only has a few melee units, or the city is at low health, I target melee units.
-Otherwise, if they brought siege units, I kill the siege units, while waiting for the melee units to kill themselves attacking the city.
-Otherwise, I target ranged units.

Top Bottom