Stonehenge

Czacki

Warlord
What do you think of this wonder?

I like to get it when I plan on expanding into the jungle. Jungle's rich but there's no way to make the city grow culture until it builds a monument, and with no trees to chop... it can take positively ages.

I never play creative leaders so I'm kinda at disadvantage when AI rushes it. And industrious AIs often do.

Is it worth it or is it better to skip it? I am particularly fond of Great Wall and Oracle, but usually snatching both GW and Stonehedge is a pain. Bordering on impossible, starting from noble upwards, unless I have stone next to me...

You can chop jungle outside your borders, so chop first settle later. I only build Stonehenge if going for domination, although it is useful for AP cheese wins or if you pursue a religious strat.

Yes but I can't get trees in the jungle. And no trees = no hammers = monument takes XX turns to complete and another XX turns for the borders to expand...

it's sometimes useful, sometimes not.

If you have a monument UB or are charismatic, it is more important. if you are creative, it's less useful.

From a pure hammer point of view, if you are going to make 4 monuments, then Stonehedge is break even. if you are going to make more, it's really good. Less, and it's less useful.

if you can get a religion, stonehedge is less good for border pops, but does get a GP.

I'd say even for less than 4 monuments, Stonehenge is useful because of the great people points (so long as you have a use for the prophet, but founding religions early on is great, a holy building is great, and settling him doesn't do half-bad either).

That said, my current game-playing style doesn't build too many early wonders.

I usually skip Stonehenge and go for the Pyramids instead.
I like the advantage of all government civics better than the cultural bonus.

Charismatic is probably the biggest reason I would go for SH. If I get a charismatic leader and I either start with mysticism or other techs which allow me to improve my land.

Personally getting SH to get border pops in jungle faster seems like a bad choice,since the earlier you get border pop, the earlier you start suffering from unhealthiness.Also it seems unproductive to get border pop very fast in jungle cities since, because its surrounded by jungle its going to take you longer to improve the land and the city will grow slower because of unhealthy.

I follow ParadigmShifter way too, chop first then settle.

jungle sometimes holds amazing riverside spots for cottages. It's all grassland (with eventually hills) and a meandering river can make the spot the dream place for cottage spam. Add 2x bananas 1x rice and there you go, ultimate cottage city. And it's not even hard to get...

... after you've cleaned all that jungle mess of course ;P

Sometimes, it does force me to put a city into a poor (no-border pop wise) location so that it gets 2-3 resources and many riverside tiles after 1st pop. And SH helps here tremendously. I could cut the jungle first, then settle, then wait for growth, then whip the monument, but that's pretty complicated :p I prefer just settle and let SH do its magic lol. I'm lazy.

I always play charismatic btw. Perhaps that's why I like SH so much.

Hedges made from stone? Must be a pain to prune...
Anyway, I find it only useful on lower difficulties, and it is obviously useless if you are creative.

I usually avoid it, but sometimes I'm like that cat chasing the bright shining toy. I go to build something and see that it's only 6 turns to build it and I just can't resist. (it's usually completed by someone else the next turn but whatever) :)

Personally getting SH to get border pops in jungle faster seems like a bad choice,since the earlier you get border pop, the earlier you start suffering from unhealthiness.

This is actually not true, and I will prove it:

Spoiler :
Here is a city with only healthy terrain located inside the original 3x3 border.

Spoiler :
And here is the view inside the city.
We see that the jungle has indeed caused unhealthiness, despite being located outside of our cultural borders.

Attachments

• surroundings.jpg
    surroundings.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 786
  • unhealth.jpg
    unhealth.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 847
I usually find Stonehenge will cost me an early city or a few Axes for taking my neighbor's capital. It's a decent wonder for its' cost but right at the start there are so many things to do. Besides, for most of my maps I find the Great Wall more useful and I can't do both (sometimes I can't do either).

That said, I agree that with a Charismatic leader Stonehenge is probably worth it. Probably better than Great Wall, but I'm lazy.

I thought it was a community nickname for the wonder. You'd probably hate how many times I refer to "Chicken Pizza" or the "Sweaty Papaya".

You're no the only one who refers to Chicken Pizza. I think it's called that more than it's real name. "Sweaty Papaya" I've never heard of before, but I like it! I seldom build either wonder so I might have skipped something.

Please! It's a HENGE not a HEDGE

Moderator Action: Please no grammar nazims, it's against our rules.
That said: Title fixed.
In general, if you see that something might need moderator attention (e.g. thread movements, requests for deletion, or even title fixing), then notify the moderators via the "report post" button (the to the left of each post).

Moderator Action: Please no grammar nazims, it's against our rules.
That said: Title fixed.
In general, if you see that something might need moderator attention (e.g. thread movements, requests for deletion, or even title fixing), then notify the moderators via the "report post" button (the to the left of each post).

Hmm... actually it was spelling Nazism - or is pedantry against the rules too? :mischief:

Top Bottom