Development Thread

Take your time, you deserve it. Civ community will always be grateful for the effort you've done.
Yes he does! Perhaps a long holiday stroll on the beach with a lovely woman at your side, some wine, and maybe a nice backrub...

Who knows what might happen? It worked for me, though it isn't as relaxing as one might think. :D

I do not know if this is correct thread, but...
Are you aware that this problem still exists and is very easy to correct?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=365430

I downloaded BUG mod today and this has not been fixed. The fix mentioned in the post (I linked) works fine, so someone really should include that fix to "official" BUG release

Feedback from the BUG team. We need to delete the line that throws the error:

In BUGMod_4.4/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py, delete the line ...
Code:
	newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__
Save the file, and BUG should then load correctly. I've tested it and it seems to work OK.

Thank you for this awesome improvement to CivIV! This really makes gaming experience better!

You're referring to a Mac based thread, so I assume that you're using a Mac?

I think if that line is deleted, it will work on a Mac, but no longer on a PC - though I'm not quite sure. That's probably the reason that it hasn't been fixed in the release. The BUG boys may have the definitive answer.

No, I just haven't done a new Mac release with the fix. :( I'm hoping to have some time to get back into modding again soon.

Here are some suggestions for additions to this awesome mod.

1. A perform-the-following-operation-for-one-turn command. This is especially useful for workers. For example, click oneturn-road would make a road for one turn and then stop. This avoids having to dig up the worker after the road command and then cancel the operation.

2. IMO the group command is badly designed. It is appropriate for RTS but not for a turn-based game. Instead of creating a group and instantly deciding to perform a goto, it should be the same as the above. The group should exist for exactly one operation. As group-perform. Group-attack. Group-bombard. I continually find myself creating, splitting, re-creating, and cancelling groups. In an RTS you want groups so you can give fast orders. One click and the group attacks. In an TBS you want methods to perform optimum operations. Group attack is rarely right. A possible implementation which is built on the previous command and leaves the current interface alone. <Once>-<Group>-<Heal>. That takes three clicks instead of two but it's still better than the current state of affairs.

3. If the current build is <unit*> and you add the same <unit>, then the <unit*> should be replaced with <unit>. As it currently stands, the queue is set to <unit*>-<unit>, which is rather pointless.

4. A small bug, which is almost certainly known: if you click on a unit from the popup in order to add it to the queue, <unit*> gets placed in the queue instead of <unit>. This is wrong. It would, however, be nice to be able to use ALT-click in the popup to put <unit*> in the queue, just like you can from the city screen.

I don't know if there are any planned updates or even if this is the right place for this post. If not, my apologies in advance.

1. A perform-the-following-operation-for-one-turn command.

This is a great idea. I would use it a lot if I had time to play. :) While the easy out is to add a bunch of 1-time actions a la Sentry Actions (Sentry for Land and Sentry for Sea), it would clutter the interface. Ideally it would require one new action with a button that you click and then click the actual action. I dunno if Civ4's system would allow this, but I don't see why not. The UI might not be super intuitive though.

2. IMO the group command is badly designed. . . . A possible implementation which is built on the previous command and leaves the current interface alone. <Once>-<Group>-<Heal>.

It sounds not so much like you want to use the existing grouping behavior but rather just assign a one-turn action (or normal action) to a group of units that they all perform individually. One thing I hate about healing is that if you have two units that require different numbers of turns to heal, you have to give the order individually or the one with fewer will wait in the group.

Can you clarify about the once part? Do you want this to be applied to one-turn actions you suggested above, or to mean more what I said where all the units are given the normal order individually, just more easily with one click?

3. If the current build is <unit*> and you add the same <unit>, then the <unit*> should be replaced with <unit>. As it currently stands, the queue is set to <unit*>-<unit>, which is rather pointless.

That should be pretty easy and makes sense normally. However, what if you have an Axeman, a Walls, and add an Axeman* to the queue. Should it replace the single Axeman? Or is this only if the immediately preceding item in the queue is the same? Probably the latter to allow for you to do whatever you want in the other rare cases.

4. A small bug, which is almost certainly known: if you click on a unit from the popup in order to add it to the queue, <unit*> gets placed in the queue instead of <unit>.

It's not a bug; it's a feature. ;) Because we cannot detect modifier keys in popups :( the next best option was to make it a setting. Open the BUG Options screen and uncheck the Build [Military] Units Forever options.

I still hope to be able to devote some time to modding in the near future, but at this time I can make no promises. Keeping up in the forum is about all I have time for these days.

1. A perform-the-following-operation-for-one-turn command. This is especially useful for workers. For example, click oneturn-road would make a road for one turn and then stop. This avoids having to dig up the worker after the road command and then cancel the operation.
I do this too - chop then remove command. I seem to remember (or mis-remembering ... take your pick) reading about the '/' key board short cut (return to previously selected unit). That should cut the hunting. Note that I haven't tried this (keep forgetting when I am actually playing) and I might have the '/' key wrong.

I think it's \ but also don't recall for sure. Don't forget that BULL at least has pre-chop for forests. :)

This is a great idea. I would use it a lot if I had time to play. :) While the easy out is to add a bunch of 1-time actions a la Sentry Actions (Sentry for Land and Sentry for Sea), it would clutter the interface. Ideally it would require one new action with a button that you click and then click the actual action. I dunno if Civ4's system would allow this, but I don't see why not. The UI might not be super intuitive though.
Right. A bunch of 1-time operations would clutter the interface. However, if it was simpler to do it the way you suggest, the most important operation - by far - is road. This being said, I really don't see why you think a prefix key would be uninituitive. It just requires the proper mouse-over text to describe it.

It sounds not so much like you want to use the existing grouping behavior but rather just assign a one-turn action (or normal action) to a group of units that they all perform individually. One thing I hate about healing is that if you have two units that require different numbers of turns to heal, you have to give the order individually or the one with fewer will wait in the group.
Right. I think that the existing behaviour was borrowed from RTS games without really thinking about how TBS games work.

Can you clarify about the once part? Do you want this to be applied to one-turn actions you suggested above, or to mean more what I said where all the units are given the normal order individually, just more easily with one click?
The current group action takes the form: Group-units-move-and-remain-grouped. I find that, more often, I want units to perform a single action and then return to the ungrouped status. Now that we are talking about it, I realise that I find the remain-grouped behaviour to be much more irritating than the default "move" operation.

As a general observation, <click-icon>-<click-icon> is a pretty easy UI to use. Far too often, the current interface forces to user to perform a <click-icon>-<cancel-default>-click-something-else> paradigm. This is made much worse because the set of icons changes at each step in the process.

That should be pretty easy and makes sense normally. However, what if you have an Axeman, a Walls, and add an Axeman* to the queue. Should it replace the single Axeman? Or is this only if the immediately preceding item in the queue is the same? Probably the latter to allow for you to do whatever you want in the other rare cases.
My example was the opposite - replacing an axeman* with an axeman. My objective is simply to say "this is the last axeman we want". After that, the production needs to change. Why else would I place an axeman in the queue after an axeman* anyway? Personally I don't set up complicated queues. I just want easy ways to switch them.

It's not a bug; it's a feature. ;) Because we cannot detect modifier keys in popups :( the next best option was to make it a setting. Open the BUG Options screen and uncheck the Build [Military] Units Forever options.
My deepest apologies for thinking it was a bug. :blush: I did think it strange that this gorgeous product had such a simple bug. OK. I'll do as you suggest.

I still hope to be able to devote some time to modding in the near future, but at this time I can make no promises. Keeping up in the forum is about all I have time for these days.
Thanks for all your efforts. We really do appreciate it. :goodjob:

Recently a number of people have been translating text in C2C into French, Italian, German, Spanish and others this has included the BUG text files. I know we are still using BUG 3.something but you may be able to find some useful translations of your text.

Top Bottom