Move Stacked Unit Request: No valid locations

dmieluk

Chieftain
It appears there is no fallback code for the "Move Stacked Unit" request when there is no valid location to move the stacked unit to. In my current game, I am unable to end turn because of a move stacked unit request, but I am unable to move the stacked unit because there are no valid locations to move the stacked unit to.

I'm not sure it should be called a 'bug', rather than inappropriate game logic. I am not truly without options - I could disband the unit - but it seems unreasonable that a player should be required to disband in this circumstance. It seems to me to be an oversight to fail to provide code to cover this rare circumstance. I believe I can force the end of my turn with the SHIFT-ENTER control, but a solution should be in place for a naive gamer. EDIT: actually, it wont allow me to end turn with SHIFT-ENTER...

In the screenshot, you can see my unit (warrior) which is sitting on the Roman AI town of Antium. I got to Antium by moving along the road into the FOW. I have used up almost all of my movement, and can no longer move to a valid location with the amount of movement that I have remaining. Also, note that the game recognizes that I have no valid locations to move, since it will not let me choose Auto-explore based upon this objection. In spite of this, the game will not allow me to end turn without moving it, leading to contradiction...

Confirmed, I can't see any reasonable way to end the turn. Firaxis will have to decide how to handle this situation.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Why can't one of the blocking units be moved to accommodate the new unit?

I am not saying this is not an issue, just that there is an alternate solution to disbanding and not nearly as game-breaking as it does upon first glance.

Why can't one of the blocking units be moved to accommodate the new unit?

I am not saying this is not an issue, just that there is an alternate solution to disbanding and not nearly as game-breaking as it does upon first glance.

I guess you didn't look at the screenshot or load the save :rolleyes: Probably should do at least one of those before you declare this a non-issue.

Every blocking unit was owned by the AI. Even if that wasn't the case, it is theoretically possible that player owned units had exhausted all their movement, in which case they could not be moved.

I guess you didn't look at the screenshot or load the save :rolleyes: Probably should do at least one of those before you declare this a non-issue.

Every blocking unit was owned by the AI. Even if that wasn't the case, it is theoretically possible that player owned units had exhausted all their movement, in which case they could not be moved.

I never declared it a non-issue. Actually, I specifically said "I am not saying this is not an issue."

Did you miss that? You even quoted it yourself. Maybe when you were rolling your eyes, so I'll forgive you.

And I am at work. I could not load the save game. I offered a suggestion based upon the screen shot and missed the part where you clearly specified (or not) "Every blocking unit was owned by the AI."

Try to be less condescending next time, particularly when someone is actually trying to help.

Try to be less condescending next time, particularly when someone is actually trying to help.

Yeah, fair enough mate, sorry about that. Probably shouldn't write posts before the morning coffee...

Hi,

I was scouting away and went into a civs city. I really just wanted to walk through. I could not move out again because i had run out of moves and Monty has surrounded his city completely with troops. I was told to move my "stacked unit" out of the city and cannot. I could attack my way out by way of war or delete my scout.

I have supplied before and after screen shots, before and after saves.

Load the before save and move the scout (with 3 movment promotion). Since you cannot move into a city, move the scout over Montys catapult and the scout ends up stuck in the city.

(EDIT: Use the save in the next reply as the BEFORE save, thanks)

thanks

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 482
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Bug_CannotMoveScout_1_Before.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
  • Bug_CannotMoveScout_2_After.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 348
Here is a better save which focuses on the scout.

Attachments

• Bug_CannotMoveScout_1_Before.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
Good catch! However, this bug was reported almost two months ago and still hasn't been fixed. I'll merge this thread with the existing one.

ETA: Perhaps the original bug was fixed after all. In the most recent save game, the Scout cannot actually select the city as a destination without declaring war (even though we have an Open Borders agreement). The Scout enters the city only if we select a destination on the other side of the city. In the original save game in this thread, the unit moved into the city without having to declare war. I'll annotate the bug list that this appears to be a new bug.

Moderator Action: Thread merged.

FYI, this bug remains after the March 1 patch. Attached is a single player save file in which an embarked anti-tank gun found itself in the middle of Iroquois units while performing a multi-turn move. The only way to satisfy the "Move Stacked Unit" requirement is to gift or delete the unit.

Brian

Attachments

• Harun al-Rashid_0251 AD-1705.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 444
Top Bottom