Youtube lets plays

Waes

Chieftain
Are there any active lets players on youtube or somewhere else? Im looking for a good lets plays to learn the game. There is quill18 on youtube but he mostly does civ 5 now.

Quill is, bluntly, not very good at Civ 4...at all

some LPers below (note that there are different styles with players, but you will still notice certain basics):

AbsoluteZero(here), aka Chris7132 on YT, has a lot of LPs. He mainly plays Deity games which requires some advanced strategies you won't have to worry about for a while, but there is still a lot you can glean from his vids:

AZ

He's more of a war monger, but he does explain some things and you can get some get ideas about how to manage the early game.

TMIT is probably one of the most popular LPers. He's particularly noted for playing much faster than almost anybody, which is actually not conducive to tutorial. However, he talks leaps and bounds and will explain a lot to you. Again, certain basics and strategies can be picked up. He's pretty entertaining. (now he's off playing EU4 like I am):

TMIT

Sullla is a Civ4 legend and has a few LPs. I don't agree with everything he does (he's not an "ace" player), but he plays much slower and really explains things well. His vids are probably the best for beginners, so you might check his out first - like his Willie Van Orange LP:

Sullla

I'm the greatest Civ4 player alive (in my own disturbed mind). erm...cough cough...though seriously, I did an LP some time ago (Mehmed) that might be worth looking at the opening vids before scratching your eyes out at my rock-like personality and goatish charisma. (link in sig below)

Serealaia put out a few vids before falling victim to MMO insanity. He's a high level player and he explains things pretty well (with the added flavor of a heavy German accent and lovely...and loud...eurotrash music):

Cereal

I can't think of much more at the moment. The above vids should all offer something educational. However, although you can search for other vids, there are some REALLY bad players out there that put up vids and think they know what they're doing...so be careful (I don't say that critically as anyone can post LPs for entertainment, but if you want to really learn the game you need to watch the right ones)

Absolute Zero can teach a lot about micromanagement and diplomacy. He's checking his tiles and trades every turn. TMIT can teach a lot about the AI tendencies.

check out sullla.
he is fun.
his now ongoing series of always war is great.
he goes through the motions and explains things that are hard to notice at first.
he has some aces in his sleeve.

he also has pretty steep opinions on some things, ignore those.
:lol::lol::lol:

Awesome thread idea. I have seen TMIT, Sulla's videos and have enjoyed both.

I am moving up to Emperor level and will probably watch Absolute Zero's Deity videos. I think they will help out, in my micromanagement and city setups, etc.

I would recommend starting with TMIT's earliest videos. They are more instructional in nature than his later ones. He plays quickly and gets a little sloppy at times, but he will at least tell you what he did wrong. Some of the others employ absurd levels of micro that most people aren't going to replicate anyway. TMIT will at least tell you what you need to know to compete on Deity without spending absurd amounts of time watching one game. And he's definitely the most entertaining.

Also, TMIT's knowledge of leader tendencies and how to manipulate them with diplo is, IMO, unsurpassed.

TMIT and AZ will teach a lot. For entertainment, I enjoy GrimithR. He plays at emperor/immortal. You can get a few tips too.

Top Bottom