Paratroops

Bigfoot3814

Deity
I understand the appeal of marines, having amphibious and being stronger than regular infantry. Paratroops are just as strong as marines and can also paradrop, but I find that most of the time, you could just have this unit walk the same distance that it dropped.

How do you use paratroopers?

They can move much quicker in enemy territory, usually units can only move one square per turn in enemy territory whereas Paras can drop five. I find them very useful.

what are the mechanics of when/where/how/how often they can paradrop? I find that most of the time the option to jump is grayed out, even after waiting a turn or two. so I end up avoiding these units because I can't always use their special feature when I want to.

what are the mechanics of when/where/how/how often they can paradrop? I find that most of the time the option to jump is grayed out, even after waiting a turn or two. so I end up avoiding these units because I can't always use their special feature when I want to.

when = once per turn
where = from city or fort in your territory

Also although they can't attack the turn they land, they can pillage.

I knew it had to be something like that. So a plan might involve jumping behind enemy lines, cutting off his resources, and while your invasion force sweeps in the paratroops cut off any escape or reinforcements.

Thanks fellas!

If you remember the "Chop n' Drop" strategy from Alpha Centauri, it's back in BtS. Copters can take out city defenders, but can't take the city. That's where the paradrops come in. Just drop one tile from the undefended city and waltz in. I use huge stacks of 'copters (upgraded from highly promoted Cavalry) and just a few paradrops to speed-conquer vast regions.

Keep a few paradrops scattered around your territory as they make great defenders against unexpected amphibious attacks. With a drop plus railroad, they can scoot across half a continent in a single bound and shore up defenses of your threatened cities.

Pfft...

The BEST combo is BOMBERS + PARAS... the bombers blast the culture defense and then collateral damage the city for easy take-over... the paratroopers then drop-in and mop-up any weak resistance.

Bombers rebase to new city and you also airlift in a defender from back-home...
wash, rinse, repeat... take next city and start the cycle all over again.

Unlike Marines, Infantry and Artillery, this combo of Paras+Bombers can strike well into enemy territory without having to wait five or six turns to move throug enemy cultured land.

Paras+Bombers unleashes a pretty mean blitzkrieg on any opponent.

One thing with the Para ability to pillage -

I wish you could choose which improvement to pillage, ie nix the road, rather than the mine/farm/workshop first.

I want to cut the enemies roads, but maintain the infrastructure for when my captured city expands culturally, then all I'd have to do is rebuild the road rather than the whole plot.

I'm sure you used to be able to do that in earlier Civs. Then the Para would be REALLY useful! Love the graphic, btw.

Based on the drop range, it is obvisous that using a border city, or building a fort at the border is the most effective use of a paratrooper's range.

Here is how I use them:

1. Out of the way cities. You know those random tundra cities that you really don't want to divert your main attack force? Usually there isn't any roads and tons of forests. Drop the paratroopers as close as possible, soften them up with bombers, wipe out the city.

2. Defenders for the main attack force. Promote some paratroopers with hills/forest defense. Drop them on an ideal attack from tile and fortify them that turn. March your main attack force to that tile and you'll have some nice stack defense when you lay siege to the city.

3. Slowing down the enemy. Perhaps you were caught off guard. Drop some paratroopers to pillage roads. It may gain you a turn or two to draft some more units.

4. As someone else mentioned, team them with bombers and choppers and you can have a good lightning fast advance.

Pfft...

The BEST combo is BOMBERS + PARAS... the bombers blast the culture defense and then collateral damage the city for easy take-over... the paratroopers then drop-in and mop-up any weak resistance.
... the next turn. And, as someone already pointed out, if there are no SAM or fighters. And finally, don't forget you have a limit on number of air units per city.

You called this "blitzkrieg" but the poster immediately before you gave something much closer to that definition than you have. The only thing I would add to his description is something to take down cultural defence of the city -- either a couple spies to try to create a 1-turn revolt, and/or some cruise missles if the city is close enough to your border or to a cost with your missile cruisers offshore. Those cruise missiles are particularly nice when dealing with SAM & fighter CAP protected cities ...

Also good in Archipeligo games where either your fleet is busy elsewhere or you're just want to get that nifty enemy island.

Pfft...

Bombers rebase to new city and you also airlift in a defender from back-home...
wash, rinse, repeat... take next city and start the cycle all over again.

Unlike Marines, Infantry and Artillery, this combo of Paras+Bombers can strike well into enemy territory without having to wait five or six turns to move throug enemy cultured land.

Paras+Bombers unleashes a pretty mean blitzkrieg on any opponent.
QFT
If you're fighting a war against a large yet technologically backwards opponent, Paratroops can conquer territory INCREDIBLY quickly. This strategy is pretty much the fastest conquest strategy I know of.

Also, there are other uses for Paratroops. If you're occupying several positions in enemy territory, and you're expecting a counterattack, but you don't know where it's going to come, paratroops can quickly reinforce your weak positions. Or, if you're walking a stack of infantry towards a city, paratroops can reinforce that stack as it goes.

I frequently send out a stack of infantry + cannons/artillery to take down culture defense, then paradrop in to attack once it's gone. Afterwards, my paratroops can rest and heal while my infantry/seige moves on to weaken the next city. That way the advance never stops.

... the next turn. And, as someone already pointed out, if there are no SAM or fighters. And finally, don't forget you have a limit on number of air units per city.

You called this "blitzkrieg" but the poster immediately before you gave something much closer to that definition than you have. The only thing I would add to his description is something to take down cultural defence of the city -- either a couple spies to try to create a 1-turn revolt, and/or some cruise missles if the city is close enough to your border or to a cost with your missile cruisers offshore. Those cruise missiles are particularly nice when dealing with SAM & fighter CAP protected cities ...
You've obviously never used the strategy correctly or at all, or you wouldn't question it's effectiveness... I can use the strategy agaisnt any opponent to great effect... if you complain it doesn't work, then you're not doing it right.

Wolf I have seen you promote that tactic many times. And its fairly sound I reckon. I just end up with a buttload of armor by the time they are available.
Guess I am just lazy but out of curiousity what situations style of games do you normally play. MP? SP? Are you using a mod other than the unoficial patch?

on the topic and in general. Aircraft can pillage and have a bigger range if thats what someone plans to use them for.

Pre-gunships I was finding them very helpful to provide stack cover for my tanks(panzers). A city 3-4 tiles away can be attacked and taken in 2 turns BUT instead of leaving a stack of tanks alone on flat terrain I can provide some infantry support during the assault. Spies were being used to drop defenses and bombers and/or guided missiles took down the top defenders while the tanks cleaned up.

Wolf I have seen you promote that tactic many times. And its fairly sound I reckon. I just end up with a buttload of armor by the time they are available.
Armor is nice, don't get me wrong... I never refuse to use it... but Paratroopers can move five or six spaces into enemy territory in a single turn... tanks can't push that far into enemy territory in the same amount of time... paratroopers can also fly over defensive lines of troops (if they exist), or bad terraign (like Jungles and Mountains)... tanks can't do that either.

Top Bottom