Paratroops

Haha, I was actually looking for a previous thread where Pi-r8 and I debated the effectiveness of paras... he wasn't so sure in that thread. But I couldn't find it, so I settled on this resurrection.

Mod your SEALS

As they are, they're not much better than anyone else's marines

IRL, SEALS paradrop, so give 'em paradrop in xml. Tailor them to your liking.

I prefer my SEALS with range 7 paradrop and PROMOTION_COMMANDO.

(I like smaller maps)

I also extend the range of my cruise missiles and use them instead of nukes. Bombers, missiles, Seals, Conquest Victory

The SEALs as a UU is so flawed...
They are commandos... and while commandos can do amazing things, wage conventional wars and conquer, such as you talk about, is just not one of them...
I blame firaxis.

A couple days ago the Marines were complaining about being used as a "second Army" in Iraq and were trying to get back to just amphibious operations.

WWII is over... no more island hopping

We no longer engage and capture ships at sea like in the War of 1812.

And until the USAF becomes our "Space Force" and we start using dropships to land on LV 426, the Marines and the Seals will have to adapt.

The way I play, once I get Marines, they become my attackers and Infantry becomes pure defenders. I use SEALS as super marines. At some point, I even stop building Infantry.

In Vietnam, the "Front Line" was everywhere. :goodjob:

Yes... but a SEAL team is a handful of men... highly trained as they are... they can't take over and hold a city as they do in CIV4.

Marines, nor any other unit in the game, do not operate in such small numbers (generally speaking).

Honestly, the closest equivalent to real-life SEALs in the game would have to be the spy. A unique spy might be interesting, now that I think of it. Maybe one that doesn't return to the capital upon success? But of course, you can imagine the complaints they'd get if SEALs were unlocked by alphabet. ;)

Yes... but a SEAL team is a handful of men... highly trained as they are... they can't take over and hold a city as they do in CIV4.

Marines, nor any other unit in the game, do not operate in such small numbers (generally speaking).

Paratroopers cant do that either. Remember the screw ups that happened on D Day because planes overshot or completely missed their targets?

It's just a game after all. :lol:

Paratroopers cant do that either. Remember the screw ups that happened on D Day because planes overshot or completely missed their targets?

It's just a game after all. :lol:
Do you have ANY clue what the he-doublehockeysticks you are talking about?
I suggest you do some research before you post again, because you are pretty clueless.

Let's see... DDay... despite the errors on the initial drop... the paras took MANY cities (St. Mere Eglise, Carentan, etc, etc). Paras before them did the same, and paras after them have continued to take cities to this day.

Name me one city that has been captured and held by SEALS.

Sorry if this has been asked before:
can paratroopers drop from Carriers, or they just drop from Cities and Forts?

Paratroopers can also defend your tank stack against anti tanks: move your tanks, then drop a para on top of it.

Many thanks Ghpstage and nfw.
And sorry for the late reply. Been a long while since I last played the game and visited the site.

Although a very old topic, this is still probably the most informative there is out there, in regard to Paratrooper uses and strategies.

I use them mostly as guerrillas, the way they're used in real life. Drop them in key resource areas, pillage them, then stack them on a high defensive tile. Prior to this, I build them in a high unit experience city, give them some nice defensive upgrades, and keep them in that square (usually a forest or jungle on top of a hill) and with the right promotions, they can keep that foothold secured as a landing point for your main force. I almost never use them in an assault fashion.

Although Guerrillas is not quite the correct term we all get what you you are suggesting.
Commando is the term you are looking for.
If you can get paras from your super Westpoint. GG academy Pentagon, Red Cross city that would be the promotion to get. Drop in behind the enemy's front line cities and ride their roads and rails spreading havoc in their rear areas while your conventional forces assault the front.

Paratroops are never my main force, but I use them often to capture (or raze) nuked cities in enemy territory, to capture cities cleared by gunships or to invade weakly defended islands in their range, if I have no transport nearby.

Although Guerrillas is not quite the correct term we all get what you you are suggesting.
Commando is the term you are looking for.
If you can get paras from your super Westpoint. GG academy Pentagon, Red Cross city that would be the promotion to get. Drop in behind the enemy's front line cities and ride their roads and rails spreading havoc in their rear areas while your conventional forces assault the front.

you want commando on your 2-movers, with that you can do some nasty stuff on the first war-turn.
I'd some huge map games where my knights make it all the way up to super-gunships.

Top Bottom