Buy CivIV Complete on Amazon or Steam?

marlowe221

Chieftain
I completely missed CivIV when it came out. I was not really a PC gamer in those days. But I would like to make up for lost time!

If I buy the download version on Amazon, do I have to use Steam? Is there any DRM in the Amazon version other than a "CD" key or something? I don't mind Steam but I only use it when I absolutely have no other option.

Thanks!

Amazon version should be no Steam unless you update it with the recent 'let's all do Steam together' patch, which nobody who isn't running the Steam version has any known reason to do.

Great!

Couple of other questions:

1. I understand that installing Warlords is technically not necessary if I install Beyond the Sword since it contains all the stuff in Warlords. Is that right?

2. Any reason to buy the DVD version over the Download?

3. How does the game install/run in Windows 7-64bit and 8.1?

4. Is it necessary to patch the Complete edition or does it include the latest official patches?

Thanks!

Great!

Couple of other questions:

1. I understand that installing Warlords is technically not necessary if I install Beyond the Sword since it contains all the stuff in Warlords. Is that right?

2. Any reason to buy the DVD version over the Download?

3. How does the game install/run in Windows 7-64bit and 8.1?

4. Is it necessary to patch the Complete edition or does it include the latest official patches?

Thanks!

1. I think the DL installer is going to install everything anyway. I know the DVD version will.

2. Personally I like the DVD version. No DRM, make a backup copy, never worry.

3. I can vouch for 7x64 bit. Smooth sailing. I run a modded game, maxed graphics, huge maps with 25 civs...on a middle of the road at most machine.

4. I installed from the DVD and used the built in 'check for updates' myself, but some people have had problems with it and say you have to manually download the patch and run it. You want to do one or the other to make sure you have BTS 3.19 patch.

By the way you can use the CivFanatics Market link to Amazon so your purchase will help support this site. Link at top right of page.

I think it depends a little bit on which version you really get, there are different releases out there. I have a German "Ultimate version" which still has disk copy protection and contains only BTS V3.17 and COL V1.0. I also have a US-Version of Complete which has no copy protection and (if I am not totally mistaken) also includes the most recent BTS V3.19 and COL V1.01. So no updating required for this one.

I'm probably too late, but just in case I'm not, if you like saving money then today is not the day to buy CIV. The Steam Summer Sale is going on, and CIV is virtually guaranteed to go 75% off at some point in the next week or so (It's 50% off right now). Amazon already matched the current sale, so I'd imagine they'll match the 75% off as well, if you'd prefer them.

Though given their ongoing admitted monopolistic anti-competitive practices, I can't imagine why anyone would deliberately support Amazon these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/20/how-amazon-holding-hachette-hostage
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/ukf9gv/amazon-vs--hachette
#CutDownTheAmazon

Do you want to play it multiplayer? Civ IV is currently in the midst of a transition from one server network to another, I gather your choice of Steam or boxed discs has major consequences for this that I'm sure someone else can explain (I'm using the Mac version that's not been patched yet and don't really know what's what).

I'm probably too late, but just in case I'm not, if you like saving money then today is not the day to buy CIV. The Steam Summer Sale is going on, and CIV is virtually guaranteed to go 75% off at some point in the next week or so (It's 50% off right now). Amazon already matched the current sale, so I'd imagine they'll match the 75% off as well, if you'd prefer them.

Though given their ongoing admitted monopolistic anti-competitive practices, I can't imagine why anyone would deliberately support Amazon these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/20/how-amazon-holding-hachette-hostage
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/ukf9gv/amazon-vs--hachette
#CutDownTheAmazon

On 'monopolistic practices', do you recognize the irony of promoting Steam and bashing Amazon in the same post?

On 'monopolistic practices', do you recognize the irony of promoting Steam and bashing Amazon in the same post?

Having an effective monopoly is simply the result of having a very popular (and ideally but certainly not always superior) product. You can't blame a company for having a monopoly, but only for how they use it. Microsoft used their OS monopoly to try to destroy office software and web browser competition. Apple used their Ipod, Itunes, and Iphone monopolies to try to destroy their competition. Amazon is using their online book store monopoly to try to destroy publishers they don't like. How exactly has Valve wielded their monopoly, aside from to promote Indie, Mac, and Linux gaming? Do they not allow games that use platforms that compete with Steamworks in their store? Did they not allow or disadvantage any competitors or companies they don't like in the Steam store in any way? Heck, they allow competitors to sell Steam keys and Steam gift certificates in other stores.

You don't like Steam's DRM, and that's a perfectly fair view, but DRM's nowhere close to as bad as what Amazon's doing.

Valve doesn't actually have a monopoly, but it isn't for lack of trying. How they would use it if they succeed in getting it is open to question, but the level of deceit they have demonstrated in attempting to acquire it bodes ill if they do.

Actually, I haven't made my purchase yet. I had to buy a couple of things for the yard.

I don't care about playing online at all.

I will go recheck all the prices I guess...

Well, today is the day. Everything CIV is 75% off on Steam for just under the next 40 hours, so you can get CIV complete for $7.49. Daily Deals last 2 day because, why not? A quick check showed that Amazon apparently isn't matching the sale. Additionally, Civ III is also 75% off at $1.24. Most CiV content is also 75% off, but CiV complete is a mere 67% off.

In summary, if you're looking to buy Civilization games on Steam in the near future (and not wait until the next sale in a few months when the prices will be the same or lower), today would be the day.

Years ago during the age of civ3 I purchased the game and its expansions. When civ4 complete was released I bought it. From the forum link to Amazon I found civilization complete containing both civ3 complete and civ4 complete. Got it a few days ago, DVD version and yes it's updated to patch version 3.19

Top Bottom