AI leaders and their personalities - who are you most likely to lose to?

Sakla222

Chieftain
I've read plenty of discussions on this forum on which leaders are good to play with and why, so I'd like to turn things around and ask, who is your least favorite leader to play against? As far as arch rivals go, Huayna Capac tends to be the king in my opinion. He's excellent at teching, and unlike other scientifically inclined leaders like Mansa, he does not neglect his military at all. In my experience he tends to rush towards a space race victory with a decent military to fend off any attempts to stop it. So unless one has been preparing for a cultural victory early on, or have a military equally advanced and powerful to his, things aint looking too good for the human player.

Any opinions? Who do you most often lose to and why?

Sent from my RM-914_im_south_africa_243 using Tapatalk

Shaka is the worst AI to have on your borders. Even if you don`t lose to him, he`ll force you to use early hammers on a pointless war. Nowhere near my borders, Huayna Joao and Willem can be annoying. Suri isn`t always threatening, but sometimes he seems to make a massive stack. He's had the single largest stack I've ever had to thwart at ~225 units.

As far as arch rivals go, Huayna Capac tends to be the king in my opinion.

True, I also had some tough games against Huayna Capac or Willem - but my most favourite reliable troublemaker seems to be Napoleon, both in many Civ IV games, but also in the few Civ V games I really finished so far. He has a strange habit of always declaring when it really does not fit my plans, and always seems to be where he better shouldn't. Not necessarily leads to me loosing, but (for me at least) he sure is one of the most annoying AIs around...
Btw., has anyone here followed Sullla's AI championship?

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/civ4survivor.html

^^^Nappy it is for me too. He is just a much better leader than the other psychos, and he has the highest unitprob along with Shaka, Rags and Mehmed.

Capac is awesome to have as a neighbor. He's pretty much a big fat Christmas present that you can steal later. He tends to a some enemies, so you can always bribe AIs on him.

Rags for me since you know he will come for you and with lots of units.
Shaka is annoying also.
It's hard to get them to friendly before they're ready. (especially without tech trading)

I would say Shaka, particularly when he's on an undiscovered continent, or New World, and has vassals to tech for him such as Gandhi or Mansa. He can afford a big army, and he's not afraid to use it. When he's also equal or advanced tech level, he can become more than a challenge.

Hannibal manages his money well enough to be a military threat, or a space race rival.

While I enjoy playing as these guys, I think the A.I. plays them better than most alternatives, so I include them in most every game, one way or the other.

HC is competent, too.

Whoever starts as my nearest neighbor is going to be eradicated BC.

The biggest threats to me over the years have been Shaka as mentioned above. Especially in my current game as I play exclusively on earth maps where everyone starts at there IRL location. After seeing tons of Great General pops I got curious and looked in World Builder. Shaka has already conquered Mali and Egypt. And with me as America I can not stop him until Nukes.

Anyway the other biggest threats to me besides him are Bismark and Cyrus. Never had a game where either spawn and they do not either backstab me with huge armies. Sometimes winning. Or they always either become a threat for culture (Bismark) or space (both) the other games they can't backstab me due to distance. They are a pain in the ass.

And to include mod added AIs Mackenzie King of Canada is the worst. All the quirks of Bismark and Cyrus listed above, + the massive armies and backstabbyness of Shaka, + being both Philosophical and Industrious (one of only 2 AIs in the mod along with Khufu of Egypt with that combination). This makes him a juggernaut unless either killed or boxed in early.

At lower levels - and provided you are not a neighbour, Kubali Khan is a pain to me - city spammer, tech whore and friend to everyone (someone declare on him!).
Funny when that happens I'm usually a neighbour to either/both Monty or/and Genghis...

:dubious:

At lower levels - and provided you are not a neighbour, Kubali Khan is a pain to me - city spammer, tech whore and friend to everyone (someone declare on him!).
Funny when that happens I'm usually a neighbour to either/both Monty or/and Genghis...

:dubious:

Try playing a Pangaea map surrounded Shaka, Monty, and Suly of the Khmer. Monty, and Shaka DOW against you, while Suly is spamming cities and gaining a tech lead.

Shaka and Montezuma are a nightmare to deal with, Shaka especially since he spams units like no other and has a severe hate-on for the human player. In one of my first Monarch games Shaka from half the world away sent a nice fat stack right towards me, straight through Alexander's territory. And he was PLEASED with me. I was lucky enough to get Alex to fight a war with Shaka, but then I had to help Alex from getting HIS ass kicked.

Unfortunately Montezuma's land was right on my border, but he was too busy fighting someone else for over a span of basically forever.

Last game I planned Shaka declared war on me even though he was at Pleased with me. Luckily I was already preparing an Elephant+catapult army, so I managed to curbstomp him off the continent and leave him to his one city on a different continent. He still declared war on me too, even though he had no navy to send his units over. Shaka makes every game considerably more scary.

---

Shaka is the only AI I've ever seen declare war on someone while at war with someone. I didn't think it was even possible the way it was done. He was already fighting a losing war against Charlie and his 2 vassals (#2 in score) when he declares on lincoln and his two peace vassals (#1 in score).
It was weird too, because I knew they could do it if they already planned a war and were bribed in in the mean time, but when he declared on lincoln, it must have been north of 30 turns in, and Charlie and his vassals had him completely boxed in, so he had no chance of ever invading Lincoln...

I've had numerous games where an AI leader has started another war while already at war. Each time it was an aggressive leader, and always against me. Not sure if game coding for AI leaders allows them to make simultaneous wars against other AI's, but damn sure they can against the human player. As for the thread title, I no longer allow a diplo victory condition. To many games I have had the Incan get the AP then use it to win. I hate losing a diplo win to HC. Anyone know if HC is hard coded to exploit the AP?

My three greatest "Lemon will lose the game" leaders are, in order:

1. Ragnar
2. Shaka
3. Louis (Culture whore who sucks up all of the land in sight.)

If I see these fellows in my games, I have to kill them right away or I'm a goner by the Renaissance.

If I'm going for a space victory, Ghandi is often the biggest threat for sneaking a cultural victory while being the vassal of someone I don't want to go to war with.

My least favourite neighbours are probably Catherine and Gilgamesh, both are creative and spam cities in my face, Gilgamesh also spams units, and Catherine is probably the worst backstabber.

Justinian always seem to be my main problem, not sure why. Always taking up lots of land and teching hard I guess.

/\________That pretty much sums up my current game. 14 cities and a peace-vassal he has. But then he is a religious loner and shares a border with Ragnar.

update: Oh well, hope dashed, Justinian ended up vassaling Ragnar after Ragnar DoWed him. To top it off, he proceeded to DoW Stalin and nuked him defenseless on the first turn of the war. All the while building space ship parts . . .

Top Bottom