Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Sury is all alone with with enough room to settle 8-10 cities, yet has only 2 cities including his capitol. Is Sury's isolation to blame for his lack of expansion?

This happens sometimes, a civ just stops founding new cities. It can really mess up your game if it allows another AI to gain too much territory. I don't know if it is a bug, or an odd strategy decision, or just the RNG selecting other builds than settlers, but it is very strange when you see it.

How do I go to war? Honest question on noble, like with what units. I played ciV religiously and have ben trying to get into 4 for the last few months, what are the tiers for warfare? Like in ciV its cbows, then x bows, then artillery and so on and so forth but in four it seems like every unit is innefective at warfare and you need TONS of them just to take one city, even with siege.

What units have you tried so far, and what units were defending at the time? There are so many possibilities it seems smarter to discuss your specific experiences up until now.

And since the answers probably aren't going to be quick, it would probably be best to start a thread in the Strategies and Tips forum.

Sisiutil has a couple of really good strategy guides: This one specific to fighting wars, and this one which covers the basics but has a section for military/conquest.

Burning question: now I have an one tile island that has a resource (iron for example) within my border. Provided that I have Sailing researched, if I mine the tile will my cities have iron? Or I have to road it also? Or the only way is to settle on it? Tks in advance for quick answers.

Burning question: now I have an one tile island that has a resource (iron for example) within my border. Provided that I have Sailing researched, if I mine the tile will my cities have iron? Or I have to road it also? Or the only way is to settle on it? Tks in advance for quick answers.

You need to settle it. If it had a river then that would connect it to your network, otherwise any island needs a city to connect it.

Or you could put a fort on it if this is BTS.

I've never mined a hills pig before, is it a good idea instead of a pasture?

Normally no. Food it the most important resource in this game, and pig pastures are a great source. However, if you have a city with too much food and not enough production then mining a hills pig is a reasnoble option. It gives only 1 fewer (hammers + food) until railroad with is better than most other options.

If you have Mining and don't have Animal Husbandry, yes. If you need more hammers than food at that moment, yes.

Does the march promotion work, or is it broken? Numerous times I have given march to super-medics, but notice no effects.

I'm not sure what you expect of the March promotion - it allows the unit to heal itself without having to stand still to do so. There's no synergy with having it on a super-healer, as the healer will heal others on the same square (or on an adjacent square) with its promotions, and March has no effect on that.

Does the march promotion work, or is it broken? Numerous times I have given march to super-medics, but notice no effects.

I'm not sure what you expect of the March promotion - it allows the unit to heal itself without having to stand still to do so. There's no synergy with having it on a super-healer, as the healer will heal others on the same square (or on an adjacent square) with its promotions, and March has no effect on that.

The wording of the promotion is easily misinterpreted. Until understanding how it works (as correctly stated by georgjorge), it is common to think the promotion would heal a moving stack if the healer had it.
"Can Heal while Moving" does not mean that you can heal others while moving (but it sounds that way).
Healing occurs at the end of the turn, for units that haven't moved (or have March). A healer (and/or culture and/or city) provides additional healing at that time.

I am a bit frustrated by this problem. when I start a game it refers to me using my e-mail name (part prior to the @ symbol. I went to the advanced portion of the opening menu. I change my i.d. to reflect my name. When I go back to the set up of the game it again places my e-mail name to the setup menu. What gives? how can I get this stupid problem fixed?

You can edit that in the CivilizationIV.ini file, which you usually find in your My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword folder. Towards the end of the file you find In-Game alias.

Problem is that it will, at some point in the future, revert back to your other name and settings. At least it always does that to me. Don't know why it does this, and yes it is annoying.

Problem is that it will, at some point in the future, revert back to your other name and settings. At least it always does that to me. Don't know why it does this, and yes it is annoying.
Agree, this is very annoying. :mad:
And keeps happening and I don't know why. For Game of the Month, settings should be autosave every turn; but it reverts frequently.

My two theories:
- something to do with Steam (unlikely since I don't have steam version of Civ IV)
- perhaps occurs when disc is inserted in drive and read (when switching between Vanilla and Warlords). But this doesn't explain why it happens to BtS.

Happening to me too on Windows7, like once a month. Never happened in years with Vista. Not experienced Windows8 enough to say.

Somebody mentionned somewhere to read/write protect the ini file. Never tried it as I don't really play on Windows7, just playtesting.

Top Bottom