How to modify GameFonts.tga for FREE

..yes, this was the problem! Thank godness :)

After correction of the external Editor in DXTbmp (GIMP instead of Paint) and new creation of both files, i'm now being satisfied! No gibberish Text, no Pixelation =)

Thank you very much, both of you deanej and The_J

(i hope my english wasn't so horrible) :crazyeye:

I'm trying to edit gamefont for the first time and I have followed the tutorial. But after I have edited it in paint and saved it as the tutorial says (it saves it as norm.bmp) and I try to refresh from edit, nothing happens (ofcourse 'cos I haven't edited the original, just created a new). So what I'm missing here?

EDIT: Never mind this. Somehow it now works.

I need to resize the the Gamefont to add more symbols. Not sure how to do this exactly. I have paint of course and I also am familiar with Gimp. I used Paint to stretch the image but that will not work as the game wont load with the new Gamefont tga.

Anyway help?

Without .dll modifications, you just can't stretch them, the sizes are fixed.

What do you want to do?

Well I figured it out I believe just using Paint. First I copied "All" then I resized it longer so I can add more symbols. Which of course made the current symbols larger. I then selected all of those stretched symbols then hit delete. I then pasted in the copied font symbols thus making them just as small as they was to start with. Now the fonts are all the normal size but my canvas is larger so I can add more font symbols.

Which I did and all seems to be working ok atm.

While trying to import special characters i've found an easier way with DxtBMP and Gimp:
- Open DxtBMP and the input tga file
- Send the main image to paint
- Save it as a bmp
- Send the alpha to paint
- Save it as a bmp
- Open the main bmp with gimp
- Open the alpha bmp as layer
- Play with opacity on layers to check the alignment
- When you done with modification, make one of the layer invisible and click on the other
- Select all the image
- Paste as a new image
- Make the same thing with the other layer
- For the alpha layer, convert it to greyscale (Image > mode > greyscale)
- Save both images as bmp
- Open DxtBMP again (but not your tga)
- In the main pane, use "Load extended 16bit image" to load your modified main bmp
- Import the greyscale alpha bmp with "Import alpha chanel"
- Save the result as tga and you're done !

This is longer to write but much faster in the workflow !
Thank you for the initial instructions !

Top Bottom