Newbie question - Researching Tech

Dan Dare

Chieftain
Hi,

I am having problems researching technology. I have tried playing the game with the research slider at 100% for the whole game and I still can't research all the things before the game ends. How do I research things quicker?

Also, as I was on 100% research I always had 0 money and was losing loads of money every turn, but as I never go into a negative balance and I didnt notice any difference from never having any money, is there any point in being profitable?

Cheers

One issue is playing on chiefatin and warlord lead to slower advancement, because the AI civs are handicapped. An experienced player can reach the later age and launch the spaceship. But, for newer players this is difficult on these two levels. Trading techs along the tech tree is important to moving through the ages quickly. But, if the AI civs cannot reach a tech before you, then they have nothing to trade with you.

Try moving to warlord and make sure you trade techs with the AI.

To improve your tech rate:

(1) establish a republic, or democracy, ASAP

(2) build tech facilities (libraries and universities)

(3) improve your revenue (gpt) to keep research at a high rate, by trading with the AI civs for gpt and building a network of raods

(4) assimilate at least one other civ, more cities = increased tech rate

Btw, welcome! :)

If you can't discover all 'til the end, try expand the end.Put the time limit to 1000 turns . In warlord you can trade your techs, dont forget to be alive at the end of the game( ALL dificulty levels 'ill be increased)(' dont recomend to change level just bcause of one thing) :sad:

It's good to use democracy but you can have problems with Rep.
If you use all your money with sience you wont have it to other things(that stupid warnin' "treasure is runnin' dangerously down" :mad: )

Trade techs with your neighbors early in the game (first 3000 calendar years) if you feel you are able to out-produce them militarily. If they have not made contact with any other civs, you can trade techs until they have none left, then take out all of their cities.

My guess however is that this works best at lower levels. I play the game at the lower levels and I find that teh AI trades techs as soon as they are discovered -- no one want to take the advantage. The civs that have larger populations and more natural resources wait several centuries, then start a war of conquest.

Dan Dare said:
Also, as I was on 100% research I always had 0 money and was losing loads of money every turn, but as I never go into a negative balance and I didnt notice any difference from never having any money, is there any point in being profitable?

There should be an impact of having negative income, as it will disband your units! At least in 3C3!

i think you should either move up a level or try this tactic on for siize
0 research. set slider on 0. try to trade - or take - all the techs away....
works wonders and will improve your game play.
you will get all your tech from your rivals.
excelent variant if you need some improvment

Luthor_Saxburg said:
There should be an impact of having negative income, as it will disband your units! At least in 3C3!

I don't believe you get penalized on chieftain for running a deficit. Should, but don't. i think this allows the human to play sloppy and not need to improve game-play.

soul_warrior said:
0 research. set slider on 0. try to trade - or take - all the techs away....
works wonders and will improve your game play.
you will get all your tech from your rivals.

This will not work unless he bumps to Regent, and then I think he'll be overwhelmed in trying to fight the AI since he's got little experience in warring at that level.

Yeah, but everyone has to start somewhere. My first several cheiftan games (in Civ1) I kept losing. It took me a few more to realise I could switch governments. Ah, to be a newbie again... :rolleyes:

dojoboy said:
I don't believe you get penalized on chieftain for running a deficit. Should, but don't. i think this allows the human to play sloppy and not need to improve game-play.
I just recently moved up to Warlord. You can run a deficit in Chieftain (vanilla CivIII) up to ~ -50gpt...then it starts disbanding units. It was quite a shock to me when I couldn't do that in Warlord. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way. :rolleyes:

Dan Dare said:
I am having problems researching technology. I have tried playing the game with the research slider at 100% for the whole game and I still can't research all the things before the game ends. How do I research things quicker?

Build more cities! And create more scientists! Btw, libraries and universities are nice to have around the core cities, but they are really no match in compare to the power of the scientist.

Top Bottom