East Indiaman thought

Dregor

Warlord
Since the Dutch UU East Indiaman can explore enemy territory, and can carry military units, does this mean you'll be able to move a force in boats deep into an enemies territory and declare war from within their borders? Seems like an amazing way to get a jump on someone...

No, you are still evacuated from their borders. It does give you a head start when it comes to destroying their sea resources though. Even though espionage will make that near usless.

Sure you can.... but there's no difference to doing the same while your troops are in his territory using an open borders treaty. As soon as you declare war, they pop just outside his cultural borders AND lose all remaining movement.

So its actually pretty useless to do that.

That's an interesting thought, but I don't think it'll happen. One of the games predictable qurks is the big boot when you decalre war. On a similar note, I recently played a game where I was at continous war with Alexander. Only, it was a war of caravels. I was initially amazed at how Alex wasn't razing my fishing boats, but then I realized that he had to have caravels to get to me (I had an ally between me and him). Anyohw, BTS will be interestingin it's changes

Well if it happens with Caravels, then it should happen with the Indiaman. In any case, that is rarely a problem usually when doing a naval invasion, I'm able to declare war right outside the borders and then land that turn.

you can put several boatloads of units inside the borders of the civ next to your war-target (which will not normally work unless you can get open borders with the 3rd party civ)

you can put several boatloads of units inside the borders of the civ next to your war-target (which will not normally work unless you can get open borders with the 3rd party civ)

Why wouldn't it work? As long as you're not at war with the 3rd party civ they can sit there for the rest of eternity. East Indiaman's are supposed to have the caravels' ability to scout ALL territorial waters, open borders agreement or not.

Why wouldn't it work? As long as you're not at war with the 3rd party civ they can sit there for the rest of eternity. East Indiaman's are supposed to have the caravels' ability to scout ALL territorial waters, open borders agreement or not.
Yes, but Galleon's can't, and without an Open Borders treaty would have to start from international waters.

The subject is East Indiaman, and they are the dutch UU-replacement for galleons.
Unless you meant something else?

normally = you dont have the east Indiaman..

The subject is East Indiaman, and they are the dutch UU-replacement for galleons.
Unless you meant something else?
No, I meant exactly what Gyathaar said.

East Indiaman - station your invasion fleet as close as possible to your target (but not inside your target because it'll be booted out), even if in another civ's waters.

Regular Galleon - you can only pull this trick off if you have Open Borders. If not, you're out of luck.

Top Bottom