Indonesia discussion

And so, Indonesia is the Resource civ with (at least) nutmeg... Great!

Nutmeg... I mean really?

Nutmeg... I mean really?

Yes. Historically it was a rare and extremely valuable spice that, up until the mid 1800's, could only be found on a specific chain of Indonesian islands.

You know how the Dutch UA is called the "Dutch East India Company" ? It was created specifically for the purpose of obtaining a monopoly on international nutmeg trade and is the reason why the Dutch colonised Indonesia in the first place.

They fought multiple wars with other colonial powers and slaughtered the native inhabitants of the islands for control over nutmeg supplies because of how ridiculously rich selling it could make you.

To give you some illustration, the first Dutch expedition to Indonesia which was led by Cornelis de Houtman netted a 400% profit.

And the Dutch later ceded Manhattan to the English so that it could keep the nutmeg-producing island.

And American merchants made %1000 profit on Ginseng, Furs, and Silver because Swedish custom houses were desperate for it and their European clients would kill for it. Give them a mega + bonus when it comes to Spices while adding tea, obsidian, etc.

See where I'm going with this?

Nutmeg can probably be banned becouse it can be used as a drug... (We got another truffles guys) Unless all luxurys are bannable, which I'm not sure of..

Nutmeg can probably be banned becouse it can be used as a drug... (We got another truffles guys) Unless all luxurys are bannable, which I'm not sure of..
Pretty sure you can ban any lux, it's supposed to be a strategic means to get at one of your opponents.

If nutmeg is in, cloves and mace should be too. (Or maybe cinnamon.) Having two copies of three spices just makes the most sense, design-wise. I think the general spices resource will be deleted.

I think the general spices resource will be deleted.

I would hope not. Remember, Nutmeg and whatever others they have are exclusive to the Indonesian civ. If "Spices" were removed, it would mean that there would be no spices at all in any game without Indonesia, and even in games with Indonesia, no one else would control a source of spices. There are a lot more spices in the world that aren't from Indonesia than ones that are. "Spices" can represent any or all of those. "Nutmeg" etc. represent the Spice Islands specifically.

If nutmeg is in, cloves and mace should be too. (Or maybe cinnamon.) Having two copies of three spices just makes the most sense, design-wise. I think the general spices resource will be deleted.

That's my thought. It would fit the description well and would be more interesting.

I would hope not. Remember, Nutmeg and whatever others they have are exclusive to the Indonesian civ. If "Spices" were removed, it would mean that there would be no spices at all in any game without Indonesia, and even in games with Indonesia, no one else would control a source of spices. There are a lot more spices in the world that aren't from Indonesia than ones that are. "Spices" can represent any or all of those. "Nutmeg" etc. represent the Spice Islands specifically.

While true, it would also open the door to a new luxury. For example, coffee. Yes, you'd miss out on spices, but you'd still get a luxury used world-wide.

That being said, I doubt this is the case.

While true, it would also open the door to a new luxury. For example, coffee.

Why is that a door that needs to be opened before you could go through? They added new resources to G&K without taking any out. If they wanted to add Coffee or Tea or anything else, they wouldn't have to take away Spices to do it.

I think the reaason why they haven't added much resources is due to happiness mechanic, too many individual luxuries would make an excess amount of happiness which in turn would make the game too easy.

And American merchants made %1000 profit on Ginseng, Furs, and Silver because Swedish custom houses were desperate for it and their European clients would kill for it. Give them a mega + bonus when it comes to Spices while adding tea, obsidian, etc.

See where I'm going with this?

but if the cost of transport between america and sweden is 1$, then cost from south east asia to europe could be easily 3$. So 1000% of 1$=10$, while 400% of 3$=12$. Giving same 9$ margin.

Top Bottom