Treatise on the implementation of ideas on Civilization V and beyond

Von Falkenheyn

Chieftain
Disclaimer: I am brand new to this forum (although I have been reading stuff from here for quite a few years now) and English isn't my mother tongue so please be gentle.

With the recent installment (Brave New World) of the latest expansion for Civilization V, the game feels nicely polished and complete. Yet, as it is often said, a good product's enemy is a perfect product and to that we should all aspire. Without further delay, I will lay out some ideas of mine (which I'm sure others have laid out here or elsewhere) which I think will push an already great game towards perfection.

1) Tile Space, One unit per hex and combat changes

The introduction of hexagons in Civilization V was a superb idea, as this allowed for maps in better detail and for more strategic maneuvering from units. Hexes have been used in board game war games for quite a while now with great success. However, with the current implementation a problem arose; how much surface area does a single hex represent? This may seem as a trivial question but from this unanswered problem rise all manners of issues, such as the ranged unit discrepancy (where you have crossbows shooting further than riffles) the need for ranged units in antiquity to always have a range of two hexes for protection and the cluttering of the map in the end game. To be fair, this problem has much to do with the one unit per hex rule which forces ranged units to have a minimum range of two hexes if they are to be at all relevant in the early game. However how does one reconcile the fact that a machine gun has a lower firing range than a bow?

The answer here has to do with determining the area of a hex. If your map has 200 hexes in a world which simulates earth size, then you can easily determine the area that a hex simulates. This information in turn can help you determine how many units you can stack in a hex. Stacking units in a hex will lead to the creation of armies and thus into far more strategic and logical combat.

To elaborate further, units could have a new value attached to them, say UNIT WEIGHT. A melee unit could have a high weight since, in order to be effective it needs a lot of frontal space to attack efficiently. But a ranged unit, such as archers doesn't need to be in the front lines to be effective. In fact, ranged units have always been protected and shielded in combat by other units. So an archer could have a low unit weight. If for example a hex can accommodate units with a total weight of 10, then a melee unit of weight 3, a horse unit of weight 4 and an archer of weight 1 could form a stack/army and coexist in the same hex. Combat could thus be split in two phases; ranged and melee. In the ranged combat armies would exchange volleys and then melee would follow. Perhaps later, cavalry (mobile) elements of an army could pursue. This idea is not entirely new to the civilization series either; in Civilization III warlords, your general would merge with a unit forming a super unit. The implementation could work along those lines, replacing existing unit graphics with an army graphic (perhaps attaching a general as well). For those fearing the return of the stack of doom, if an army's weight surpasses the hex's capacity then that army should receive severe combat/movement penalties. The rationale here would be, that an overcrowding of units in limited space hinders their ability to function optimally.

The above idea would eliminate the need for archers have a range of 2 hexes and it would rationalize the ranged unit concept as a whole.

2) Customization

Allow for unit customization, for example units could have slots just like the new culture buildings have with brave new world. These slots could allow for weapons upgrade (for instance the forge could produce better swords, iron better weapons than copper, etc). Players simply love RPG elements in their games; it makes them feel that they have created something unique which they own. Also, units should receive multiple talent trees which should be visible to players, just like you can view the tech tree or the policies tree.

Leader customization. Besides unique buildings, units and civilization specific abilities, leaders could have RPG style qualities which could expand over time. For instance, a leader could have administrative skills, strategic skills and diplomatic skills (just like the Europa Univerallis Series) which could increase over time, depending upon civilization achievements. Also, a leader could have a court of advisers; great people could receive a new role as advisers to the leader, thus offering global modifiers to the realm. And besides, who wouldn't want the return of the council just like in Civilization II?

3) Health, Happiness and Corruption

Local Happiness instead of Global. As it is now, it’s virtually impossible to control a large empire or to initiate one until well into the medieval times and again, this is highly situational. Unless you sequence-build the proper wonders (Notre Dame, Circus Maximus etc) there is no way I can think of, through which you can have, say 4-5 cities early in the game. The penalty for capturing cities is insane early on and practically irrelevant later in the game. Via corruption and local happiness this could be more accurately simulated. Historically, when a leader returned from a successful overseas campaign a “triumph” was organized and the spoils were exhibited in front of the populace. How can the capital be unhappy if Rome captured the neighboring city state? How can you allow for strong military units early on to some civilizations when they can’t effectively use them due to a lack of happiness? Local Happiness could allow for civil wars and local revolts without this being dependent on global modifiers.

Corruption – Loss of productivity. The bigger an economy, the more corruption you have. The bigger the distance from the capital, the more corruption. Also, the more oppressive a regime, the more corruption you tend to have. The re-introduction of wasted production through corruption would allow you to have a large empire from early on without optimal productivity. It would give usefulness to such buildings as the courthouse, the police station, Forbidden Palace etc.

Health was a superb local modifier which really made city management interesting and offered diversification to resources, buildings, Wonders and civilization abilities. Aqueducts would gain a true meaning, you could add a whole new array of buildings (public baths for instance) and technologies (Sanitation), great doctors (Hippocrates, Galenus), Hanging Gardens could give health and resources (such as the citrus fruits, spices and salt) could increase health. I simply find a hospital giving out food as a bit bland to be honest. I understand that food simulates the growth rate of the populace but I think that health could be added without complicating the game too much.

War weariness. Essential. Nowadays we have the AI declare wars which last forever. Also, human players especially in the later game when happiness starts to be irrelevant can be on a non stop rampage with impunity. Likewise, there should be some sort of human capital upkeep for units in war. Gold upkeep is fine, but there should be some consideration about manpower too.

4) Economic Issues

Colonies/Trade Outposts. This is essential I think. You desperately need a resource (be it strategic or to fulfill a city-state quest). No one will trade with you, or the cost of trading is exceedingly high. There is a resource at a medium distance or on a remote island that you could use but you don’t want to build a new city. Why not build an outpost or a colony? Coupled with the new trading system this could create all manners of new opportunities for game play. The Portuguese Feitoria is a great step towards that direction but it's only for the Portuguese. Why not let others do something less powerful instead?

Resource Cache: I believe that resources (especially fossil fuels) should have capacities per turn and a finite life. Instead of just receiving a resource, you should receive resource units per turn allowing them to be stockpiled. This could allow for all manners of diversification in buildings and techs. Salt could be used to stockpile fish, Refrigeration could increase your stockpiles, Wharfs could do the same etc. For instance to create a legion you could need 20 iron units. If you don’t have iron mines you could import this from another civ without them being reluctant to trade it because it’s in short supply. The same is true with oil and uranium. No one will trade them as the game is today but they could trade you part of their stockpile without relinquishing the whole resource for 30 turns. For example, a large iron mine could generate 20 iron units per turn and depending upon your civ technology, you could store a maximum of 200 units. Also, I believe that manpower should be cached as well. If you're running a war with heavy losses then at some point your units will simply not heal anymore. Historically warfare is all about blood and treasure. Gold upkeep simulates treasure; there should be something about blood as well.

Buildings, Resources and their interaction: Building and Resource interaction is a great idea; it really gives a purpose to otherwise bland buildings such as the stable or the forge. We should see more resource - building interaction instead of just plain map modifiers. Also I think that composite manufactured goods (for instance turning sheep, cotton and silk into textiles, iron and coal into steel which could lead to high grade weaponry) would be a great addition to the game's economy and could lead to all kinds of new buildings and the enrichment of the tech tree.

5) Map Customization

I believe that there should be more map tile subcategories which would make for vastly enhanced maps. For instance, hill tiles could have subcategories as a) rolling farmlands, b) highlands c) alpine valleys. Mountains could have impassable Himalaya - like qualities to more gentle and passable qualities such as the Ardennes and the Apennines in the US.

There should be water canals added to the game, which could work just like a road does, allowing ship units passage over land (not to mention the irrigation of infertile terrain). We should have mountain tunnels making roads and rail pass through mountain chains.

I'm quite sure others have suggested this many times, but please give us more Terra forming abilities. For example, reclaiming land from the sea (the Dutch), making desert tiles fertile, planting forests and flattening terrain.

Allow for airfields, naval bases and land bases in remote locations. You shouldn't be required to build/capture cities just because your air units aren't properly situated.

6) Revamping the Tech Tree

As it is right now, I fear that in single player games at least, those civilizations specialized upon research (Korea, Babylon, Maya) have a distinct advantage over others. This seems to have been alleviated with Brave New World as there is science trickling via trade routes but I think it's too early to tell. I propose a radically different idea for the tech tree. I think that the issues could be split into broad categories, such as Cultural, Economic, Military, Growth, Foreign Affairs, Internal Organization . Each category would have it's own tech tree and research could be siphoned into each one as the player sees fit. In order to avoid rampant leaders in a certain category, cross category dependencies can be devised and also time penalties as well (you're trying to research something which is too advanced for your civilization, your research is impeded by a penalty). This would lead to the abolition of the social policy tree as it is and the implementation of such policies within each new branch. For example, honor policies could be spread inside the military branch and so on.

Also, the new pyramid system used for ideologies could be used to create a non linear tiered tech system thus greatly diversifying the game.

The diplomatic game could be further enhanced; apart from the ideological struggle, the concept of the three traditions (as suggested by Martin Wight), rationalism, idealism and revolutionism could be introduced. For example, a rationalist AI player would be much more calculative about balance of power issues; an idealist AI would help out a fellow player with the same ideology and an autocratic revolutionary would wage war under any pretext in order to enforce his world vision over you. This somewhat exists when dealing with city states; they have characters. I'm proposing that this be built in to civilization AIs.

As far as military issues are concerned and in accord with what I wrote earlier about fielding armies, military formations could be researched (for instance the phalanx, the legion formation, combined arms, the Spanish tercio formation, the Brittish square etc).

7) Random Events & Other Random Ideas

Random Events. I think that there could be an array of both positive and negative events. Some could be unavoidable (such as a volcanic eruption or an earthquake. You could have the chance of volcanoes or earthquakes increase in mountainous regions for example) while others could be avoidable depending on circumstances (you could be immune to the plague if you have high health or have researched sanitation, immune to floods if you have dams and canals etc., bribing off a barbarian horde or a pirate fleet). Positive events could include mercenary units which are looking for an employer, traveling great people, bountiful crop season etc.

Unit Special abilities in combat. We would like to see more abilities such as the Polish Lancer's ability to push back. Units could have a unique - timer based - ability, for example Archers could have a bull's eye ability dealing out massive damage once, cavalry could have a blitzkrieg ability allowing pursuits or second attacks etc.

Well I hope I haven't tired you all with my rather lengthy text. I eagerly await your feedback!

Let me say that this is an excellent if wordy post, and I wouldn't have guessed that English was not your first language if you hadn't said anything. As for the content, there are a few things I might disagree with you on, and I must apologize for attacking it piecemeal.

The main argument I have is "Keep It Simple, Stupid" (K.I.S.S.). This isn't directed at you persay, but at everyone that wants to add some sort of complexity to a game. And that's not to say that complexity is necessarily a bad thing! It's just that many of the people on this forum that are voicing their opinions have some degree of mastery over the game. They have a handle on the choices they need to make or have a preferred set of decisions in every game of Civ V they play. Just adding more systems may increase complexity, but it may not necessarily increase depth.

The military system you propose is an example of this. While it would definitely be helpful to have a limited stack of units, how will different parts of each army separate for combat? Either a new battlefield would be opened up or the composition of each army would determine outcome. Yes, the current system for Civ V is far from perfect but it makes sense in an intuitive way that the stacks lacked for me. The main solution in my mind isn't necessarily customizing or stacking but expanding the battlefield so some actual maneuvering can be done. Promotions cover "customization" fairly well already, there just needs to be more occasion to use them and an easier way to see how units have been upgraded.

War Weariness, Health, and Corruption have a similar but deeper problem: back in Civ 3, 4, etc. the only way I found to circumvent these problems is by actively avoiding decisions that would otherwise benefit my empire or required a degree of management I wasn't particularly skilled at, and the way that they were presented seemed to say that I was a bad leader for trying to be a good one. I didn't see an easy way to improve city health for example without limiting my growth or waiting for distant techs and buildings. Seeing that green miasma rising from my cities, knowing that there was little I could do without letting people die is really upsetting.

Yes, these are excellent limiting factors, but there's not much a player can do when they show up except reversing their current strategy. War Weariness is definitely a nice addition, but tricky for Civilization as compared to something like CK2 because how do we define major battles versus small skirmishes when all the units are on the map at the same time? And how will it affect overall/local happiness?

This is something that needs to be remembered as a general rule. New systems should be added with a lot of consideration of how they effect the current mechanics, while more options within existing systems are always desireable. I'd LOVE to have canals, resource outposts, and more varied terrain. But completely retooling combat? Making resources combine or putting them on timers? Not necessarily good additions to the game and would need quite a bit of consideration before being implemented. At this point though, I'd be looking more towards what features will be in Civilization VI instead.

I agree with most of the points here. There are a lot of good systems stated but I think it is too complicated to put in all at once.

My favourite though is the army system. I've often wondered about it but now you've mentioned military weight, I get how that could work. Each unit gets a value for that and also a flexibility value which are new. Weight determines how much of the space it uses; flexibilty for how quick it can react to things.

For example:
Total military weight allowed is 50/Flexibility (Out of 10)
Swordsman - 15/3
Composite Bowman - 10/5
Spearman - 15/4
Horseman - 10/8

Flexibility of an army could be worked out by the average of the individual unit flexibilities with a 5% decrease (except the first/lowest) for each separate unit on the tile so an army of one horseman would have full flexibility while an army of five, while stronger, would only have flexibilty of 6.4 (8*5)/5 =8 0.05*(5-1) = 0.2 from 1 = 0.8 8*0.8 = 6.4

So the army would have higher strength but lower flexibility which means it can do more damage in an outright battle but the other unit is more likely to be able to withdraw. Terrain can also change this so a river beside a battle may reduce flexibility slightly. Less units also means experience is shared between less units so promotions are earned quicker which lets elite groups form quicker while standard armies take longer to become skilled.

A policy in honour may be able to reduce this and maybe Khans can greatly improve flexibility for armies so they can kill more and leave enemies in worse positions. Maybe if you win by strength and your flexibility is high enough you can either choose where the enemy retreats to or inflict even more damage like the Winged Hussar does.

The 3 biggest issues for me in civilization 5 right now is to Revamp the Tech Tree, fix the science progression, and fix/revamp the combat system. It's amazing that the last issue goes ignored when it comes to the combat in this game. Spamming archers/artillery/bombers should not be the only good war strategy.

Thank you all for the time you took to read and comment upon such a lengthy text. Yes I understand the reasoning behind simple solutions and that this is a game and not a historical simulation such as the Europa Universalis series is. I'm certainly not looking for such a level of complexity in the Civilization series but I would like to see a more logical functioning of certain mechanisms. The proper scaling of terrain for instance, (i.e. that hexes represent a rational amount of real space) is a logical request.

About warfare in particular, I don't believe that the creation of armies would create undue complexities. The Europa Universalis system of armies graphically simulates two armies fighting and alternates between different phases. First you have ranged combat, followed by melee and so on. Think of the new Impi unit. First you have it's ranged attack and then you have the melee. You could have armies functioning this way as well. First a ranged attack conducted by its ranged units and then a melee attack.

Another problem I have singled out in warfare, is it's prohibitive early relative cost. As has been said in other posts, it's not that early warfare is impossible, it's just that the cost of opportunity in order to wage war (especially an early war) has risen. As has been said by others, you either go all out, keep raising/puppeting cities in one great push, or you try to consolidate at least on one continent and hope to slug it out with another victory type. However, for the first one only a few civs can really pull it off (Huns, Mongolia, Assyria perhaps) and the second just doesn't pay off anymore (research penalties for the number of cities, massive unhappiness at first etc).

The fundamental problem behind this is the way the game awards victory. These should have been game ending conditions instead of game winning conditions. And besides, this may be a game after all, but it is a bit absurd to go specifically after enemy capitals. Another flaw of the game is that victory conditions don't scale up in accordance to map size. In small sized map, domination is the only way to go. In huge or large maps, it's an exercise in supreme patience to go after a domination victory.

Warfare is certainly a costly proposition and you should feel some pain when you decide to go down the warpath. However, in the early to mid-term game, war is prohibitively expensive. You slow down your production of vital buildings in order to build units. Your expenses skyrocket. You can loose vital trade routes either through the friction of war or because your geographical location does not permit alternatives. You may have to neglect other crucial aspects (such as your science, or culture game). The way I would have it, is to separate your war economy from your civilian economy in the way the Total War series does, or the way Warlock the Master of Arcane does. This way your city can split it's building capacity between building a unit and constructing a building simultaneously (using a slider perhaps). In fact, you could give this capacity dependent upon specific technologies (say engineering as is done in Sid Meier's Civilization, The board game by Fantasy Flight). This way you could arrange for a portion of your production to go towards the build up of your army without blocking the crucial construction of say libraries. During a war, the economy could be directed to aid the war effort via a surge in productivity with a penalty in happiness. Also, as I've said before, wars should cost in manpower as well. The notion that by plundering your unit returns to full health is just plain nonsense. Plundering should offer good amounts of gold (more gold if you take the Honor tree) and not health to raiding units. Units should recuperate by reducing the growth rate of cities. Your units drain manpower to replace casualties. Battles should destroy improvements by default. Imagine conducting a battle inside a grain farm, what do you think happens to the trampled grain? Units besieging cities should also destroy terrain improvements. Artillery and bombers should cause massive collateral damage (in the form of destroyed buildings and reduced population). War weariness should be re-introduced. I think that these should be the penalties for war and not just the prohibitive cost of opportunity via lost trade, lost research, lost global happiness and lost buildings.

Top Bottom