Night of the Werewolves XXII: The Road to Ruin (Game Thread)

Backwards Logic

Emperor Palpatine
The men gathered in a small ditch next to the road. Across the street was a small village where the Insurgent Leader reportedly was. The reconnaissance scout got back to where the huddled group temporarily resided.

"It's quiet. A ghost town of the old west made more noise than this."

Commander Logic quickly ran through the scenario in his head. Four day old intelligence at this point, so it's possible he'd cleared out. On the other hand, total silence was too suspicious. A trap.

He couldn't back out now, especially since Command had promised him two things. One, he had air support which after giving the the four-word order would have a pair of Apache gunships streaking their way over to the village within five minutes. Second, he knew if he pulled back without at least checking out the village meant he'd never get another opportunity to command a mission such as this. It'd be desk duty on another backwater station again.

He pulled out a map courtesy of a satellite image of the village. Four days before had a half-dozen pickups, at least 50 soldiers, and a handful of RPG's. Now, if the scout was correct, nothing that existed prior existed now. Mapping the route, he gave orders to each of his men. The Sniper moved on the roof overlooking the town's makeshift courtyard, which consisted of scattered dirt with a giant rock as its centerpiece. He had his machine gunner set up in an alleyway opposite, so between the two the courtyard was covered in cross hairs east to west. The rest of his troops set up flanking positions on the large central structure dominating the village. Commander Logic reasoned that if any resistance existed, that's where they'd be.

As the remainder of his squad advanced slowly towards the courtyard, Commander Logic gave the hand signal to hold up. As he crouched up against the nearest building, he surveyed the scene. Something wasn't right, his gut told him. And indeed something wasn't right.

"Crack"

The man next to Logic dropped like a stone, a lone gunshot wound through the temple as the rest of the team advanced towards a small stone wall about shoulder height for cover. On the roofs of the largest building stood a pair of Insurgent Snipers, pinning the team it its place.

"Get me air-support"

The Radio Operator quickly got the message out to Command. "Inbound, E.T.A five minutes" came the expected response. Holed up for the time being, Logic and his crew found much to do, as a large number of insurgents came at them left to right, spraying automatic fire from their Russian Ak-47's. A few of his soldiers had taken the initiative and started to flank the enemy, cutting down the untrained men with relative ease. Logic heard the familiar sound of his sniper, calmly reducing the insurgent's numbers one man at a time.

After what seemed a lifetime, the sound of the Apaches soon filled the sky; the pair slowly strafed the building with machine gun fire and rockets, knocking out the machine gun protruding from one of its windows and at least one of the snipers. But the victory was short-lived.

"Whoosh"

Two missiles streaked up from another nearby building. The pilot heard the warning over his headset before he saw the shot and had moved to evade the danger. One passed harmlessly by as the bird's counter-measures gave it something else to lock onto. The second wasn't so distracted. It impacted with a bang that resonated in between the closely-spaced buildings. As the metal around the rear rotor was tortured into a ball of scrap, the pilot desperately held onto what remaining controls he had and brought the wounded beast into the courtyard for an impromptu landing.

Without thinking, Logic and a few of his men charged out to rescue the pilot from the increasing number of insurgents. Like vultures to carcasses, they flooded the courtyard to take their prize. The machine gunner opened up on the insurgents, spraying automatic fire indiscriminately as man after man fell to the bullets. Commander Logic managed to dislodge the pilot from the cockpit just as more wild-eyed insurgents ran towards him.

"Crack"

Commander Logic suddenly felt numb all over. He raised his right hand to the back his head and felt the warm sensation of his own blood pouring out of him. He collapsed in the courtyard, face first into the ground. A few of his men pulled him up and screamed for a medic, but it was too little too late.

The wounded Commander made one last effort to make one final command:

"Fall Back"

Even in death he knew they didn't have manpower to salvage the mission. Both birds had fallen, the second exploding in a spectacular ball of orange and red as three RPG's had found their mark. Already a large number of his own men had fallen without ever even getting a glimpse of the Insurgent Leader, if he was even here to begin with.

His squad fell back across the street to safety, the machine gunner last to run as he provided a near constant stream of lead to persuade any pursuers. It was chaotic at best, a disorderly retreat from a hot zone deep inside enemy territory. The Radio Operator made one last transmission to Command: Mission Fail, requesting evac. The response was delayed, not from the time it took to send a radio signal from here to HQ located almost 4000 miles away but rather from the leaders of Command trying to grasp what had just happened. They gave the navigator the coordinates of the extraction point, and when plotting the distance out on the map it looked like it would take 11 days to get there, give or take. The men knew they needed a new leader fast, otherwise they would be overrun in a matter of moments. Night was falling fast.

Welcome to Night of the Werewolves XXII: The Road to Ruin

This will function as the game thread. The rules can be found >>HERE<<. To reiterate, the game will be structured as follows:
Days: 48 hours with a midday post 24 hours in
Nights: 24 hours

To give an idea of the current time, treat this opening post as a midday post. Night will fall in roughly 24 hours. No accusations or votes, Role Play only at this point.

PM's have been sent
.​

You May Post.

Last edited:
Player Status Post

Healthy ((Have survived until the end))

CCRunner
Nahkarma
Chandrasekhar
thomas.berubeg
D'Artagnan59
Love

Bound

Injured

Deceased

sirtommygunn, murdered night 1
ZPV, murdered night 2
Bigfoot3814, murdered night 3
Charles Li, executed evening 3
rhwan, murdered night 4
Renata, blown up evening 5
Niklas, murdered night 5
Frozen in Ice, executed evening 6
reverend oats, blown up evening 6
J-man, executed evening 7
Lightfang, murdered night 7
Icekommander, executed evening 8
Stuck in Pi, murdered night 8
Methos, poisoned evening 9
Ekolite, murdered night 9
merciary, executed evening 10
Tasslehoff, executed evening 11
Izipo, murdered night 11

((Number in parenthesis is number of nights remaining until effect ends))

Number of Players Remaining: 6
Current Over/Under: NONE

Updates

Night 0, Morning 1: The Coroner is found dead. There's at least one traitor in the squad.
Midday, Day 1: The vote to install Niklas as Platoon Leader gains steam while the vote to accuse anyone goes nowhere.
Evening, Day 1: The squad gets a tad carried away and ties up both sirtommygunn and D'Artagnan59 on suspicion of treason.
Morning, Day 2: D'Artagnan59 is found untied in his tent and sirtommygunn is found dead.
Midday, Day 2: D'Artagnan59's release from yesterday's binding causes quite a stir, leaving him in dire straits.
Evening, Day 2: Once again, D'Artagnan59 sleeps with the rocks as he narrowly misses being the first executed.
Morning, Day 3: ZPV is found dead in his tent. The wire cutters go up for a vote.
Midday, Day 3: An ambush injures four while Charles Li leads the accusations.
Evening, Day 3: Tasslehoff is tied up while CCRunner and Chandrasekhar are healed from their injuries. The wire cutters will be voted on tomorrow.
Morning, Day 4: Bigfoot is found murdered during the night. The squad faces a crucial decision regarding the route they take to the extraction point.
Midday, Day 4: The squad votes a large number of things and added to them is a mysterious crate sent over by Command.
Evening, Day 4: Charles Li is executed on suspicion of treason. The squad decides to take the shortest route, while Niklas takes possession of the crate.
Morning, Day 5: rhwan is murdered during the night. Tasslehoff is united, and a pair of drones cover their route for today. Charles Li's radio is to be voted on as well.
Midday, Day 5: Another crate lands in the vicinity of the squad. Renata leads the radio vote, and no one seems inclined to accuse anyone.
Evening, Day 5: Renata's tent explodes with him inside. There are no survivors. In lesser news, Tasslehoff is tied up again while the second crate goes to Niklas.
Morning, Day 6: Platoon Leader Niklas is found murdered. A vote to elect a new Platoon Leader begins, as well as voting for an M16 rifle, found in Niklas' tent.
Midday, Day 6: Another ambush injures four while Frozen in Ice leads the accusations.
Evening, Day 6: Frozen in Ice is found an Insurgent and executed. A bomb goes off, injuring D'Artagnan59 and killing reverend oats. Izipo is the new Platoon Leader.
Morning, Day 7: Tasslehoff is untied, Lightfang and Nahkarma are healed, and no one has died during the night. Votes for the hand-held explosive begin.
Midday, Day 7: For the second day in a row, another ambush claims two. No one seems inclined to vote for anything.
Evening, Day 7: J-man is executed and Stuck in Pi receives the explosives.
Morning, Day 8: Lightfang turns up dead and another radio to vote on turns up as well.
Midday, Day 8: Icekommander leads the accusations while Love leads the radio vote. Other than the sparse voting, everything else is quiet.
Evening, Day 8: Love receives the radio and Icekommander is executed.
Morning, Day 9: Stuck in Pi is found dead. His explosives and flak jacket go up for a vote.
Midday, Day 9: A storm begins to gather as the men begin their march through a mountain. Love holds a slight lead over thomas.berubeg in the accusations.
Evening, Day 9: Love and Tasslehoff are tied up, but that isn't the biggest news: Methos was poisoned and dead. The storm is gathering in intensity.
Morning, Day 10: Ekolite is found dead. The explosives go back up for a vote and some strange documents are found.
Midday, Day 10: thomas.berubeg leads the accusations while Izipo leads the Document vote and D'Artagnan59 leads the Night Vision Goggles vote.
Evening, Day 10: merciary is executed and found a Rogue Agent! Izipo receives the documents, Nahkarma the explosives, and D'Artagnan59 the Night Vision Goggles.
Morning, Day 11: No one is found dead this morning. Tasslehoff and Love are untied. Four days remain until extraction.
Midday, Day 11: Love leads the accusations by two.
Evening, Day 11: Tasslehoff is executed and found a loyalist.
Morning, Day 12: Izipo is murdered during the night and is found the Insurgent Leader. A new vote for the Platoon Leader begins. Three days remain.
Midday, Day 12: An air strike obliterates D'Artagnan. thomas dies from his wounds, Love is killed with a sniper round, and CCRunner has his neck snapped. Rogue Victory!

You May Now Post!

While certainly not necessary, I would like to be kept in the know of what is going on behind the scenes. While I don't need to be a recipient of every PM you send, perhaps taking the time to put together a separate pm of who you've talked to, what you are thinking, any long term plans, or whatever else you want to mention would be appreciated. This would just add to my enjoyment of hosting this game. Thanks.

"Gods what a disaster. Poor Backwards Logic, one of the better commanders I served under. Reminds me of Captain Hegamu, served under him back seventeen years ago when I was just a Corporal. Now that was a military genius. Died in a jam like this one too though. These wars have wasted so much military talent, all sorts of incompentants are rising too the top. And now another of the good un's are gone."

*stops talking and surveys the remaining soldiers. Seeing most of their demoralized state, the recruiter realizes he has to take steps.*

"Come on lads, hop to. Now let's see here. Charles Li, Thomas.Berubeg, glad to see you survived. Can I get you two too collect some firewood? Need a fire, second thing I was taught in the army, after how to march in a straight line. How important fire's are. Well third thing actually, after how to say "yes sergant." Boy, those were the days. Old Drill Sergeant Smedley, never let you get away with anything. Man must have neveer slept, always showing up for inspections at two in the morning. What the hell would we be doing at two in the morning anyway?"

*The recruiter slowly assigns tasks, constantly talking about commanders he used to have, or battles he had seen.*

OOC: Very nice start! Out of curiosity, what rank am I, for role-play purposes? I assume master sergeant or so, but just checking*

Edit: Charles! Open up some PM space.

{OOC : Excellent start (story), talk about a botched mission :lol:.
Will be back later (tomorrow morning) with a better IC post.}
{And btw, I've changed my computer and haven't bothered to reinstall MSN yet}

OOC: Looks like a nice little situation we have gotten into...

IC: What the hell! Somebody check our six. I'd rather NOT be ambushed by those insurgents again. Those trucks gotta be somewhere, so everybody keep an ear out for those damn things. Hopefully we'll be able to get the hell out of here any more of us die...

My dear IceKommander, surely something slipped your mind. I Cook for this command, which, naturally, is a task far beyond any and all of you... It takes all of my time, and most of my effort. I have a Cordon Blue Culinary education. I served as Cook in the most prestigious restaurants. I do not collect Firewood.

But i'm sure some of the lads who go out for wood won't begrudge me some to prepare some of my usual sumptuous fare for all of you.

With all due respect, sir.

"Sir? I ain't no sir. You call an officer sir, not the Non-Coms. Now then if your absolutly convinced you are above such tasks like firewood collecting, you can go ahead and start cooking. Being such a fine cooker as yourself, I'm sure you can whip us up a fine dinner with our iron rations and the provinder of Mother Nature."

*Hears Stuck in Pi's request"

"Good point. But before we assign sentry duty, lets start off with a role call. Name, Rank and Position. I'll start off. Ice, Master Sergeant, Recruiter. Next!"

"Bloody recruits, filled with fantasies. What the hell is a cook who is one of the nations finest cooks, supposedly doing in the army. Seemed so much more intellegent when he signed up. I swear, not like my squad mates. May god rest their souls. Wonder if Gerold ever survived? Never saw him after Oslo."

OOC: I've just initiated the role call for Role Play purposes. Little bit eaiser if to role play if we know who each other are.

"I must say that a fire would be a little bit dangerous, wouldn't it? I mean we just ran into and ran out of what was supposed to be the insurgent leader's hideout and you expect us to give our location away to any possible pursuers? They defeated us and now must no doubt have a thirst for our blood, as we delivered quite a few of them to their maker. I say that we should at least prepare some sort of sentry system that gives us a lot of advance warning before we do something as reckless as that. Although I would prefer no fire at all."

OOC: Just wondering if we are to vote on a new leader.

Edit: some time later...

"Sorry about that, I was just a little high strung from the day's events. However, I do stand by what I said. I just wouldn't have said it in such a mean way if I was thinking clearly."

Bah, build the fire. They already know our position, so why should we suffer more than we need? Standing guard is the sensible thing to do though... I'll even volunteer for first shift

And where is that god dang chef when you need him? I'm feeling the need for some grub.

OCC: My parents informed me about an hour ago that we're going skiing tuesday-thursday. I'll try for internet access but it looks like it's not happening. So if I don't answer PM's or anything, It's not suspicious, it's skiing. Sorry about that :(

and another thing: I do have an MSN account if anyone want to IM me. available upon request.

"Hey, knucklehead, don't bag on the chef, awright? I'm hungry too, but I don't think food's a big priority right now. What's important is getting outta here. You understand?"

He looks around a bit nervously before spitting out more words at a brisk clip.

"This is a real frickin' embarrassment! Let's go, let's go, let's go, before night sets."

((GM Comment: No, there are no votes of any kind until morning))

&#8221;While I agree that we need to hurry, I think we should plan out our movements and decide on the best path for speed and cover before moving out. I didn't hear any thoughts on the best route while we were calculating how long it would take, only the quickest."

The Chaplain rushes to cover under the fire of his squadmates. After seeing that the danger has passed, he walks over to the fallen Commander, but even he can see that this soldier is too far gone. The Chaplain solemnly says the Commander's last rites, then stands up, slipping the Commander's sidearm from its holster and putting it in his own belt.

"Chaplain Chandrasekhar here. I've served with most of you one time or another, so I won't bother with further introductions. We need to get a secure position before nightfall. I don't know just how these insurgents were so prepared for us, but I don't want to say goodbye to any more heroes until we're well away from here."

"What a brutal trap we fell into! I am devastated by the loss of our Commander and so many lives."
*sees Lightfang and CCRunner squaring up*
*walks over*
"Calm down, you two! There is no point cutting each other's heads off!"

*Frozen In Ice sits off in the corner looking quite pale and mumbling to himself.*

Oh, man. I've seen death before, but never so up close. My mate Jenkins, next to me one second, on the ground with a bullet wound in the chest the next. The whole thing just makes me want to puke! Slow, deep breaths, slow deep breaths...

*After the New Recruit Frozen In Ice calms himself down he turns to Icekommander*

I'll go collect some firewood. Even if we decide not to use it, I just need something to do to take this off my mind.

*The grizzled commando stands up*

C'mon, boys; we've been in worse situations before. I know this land like the back of my hand. We'll get out here no problem. That Backwards Logic lacked the chutzpah to do the job. Without his weakness it'll be like a camping trip.

What the hell is a cook who is one of the nations finest cooks, supposedly doing in the army. Seemed so much more intellegent when he signed up. I swear, not like my squad mates.

Oh No! I Did not sign up. I was forcefully conscripted... And never have i had a better experience. i'd really like to personally thank whoever put my name down

Top Bottom