3d reconstruction of Byzantine Thessalonike

Kyriakos

Creator
An awesome local work, showing how this city used to look. The second most important of the Byz Empire :)

Currently the models only present the westernmost edge of the city in those times (now it is just a bit to the west of the central municipality)

Main monuments depicted are the Hippodrome, the Palace of Tetrarch Galerius, and the Rotunda (church of St George; originally a greco-roman temple).

Anyway, the Rotunda (and area around it) today:

Bring back the Byzantine form :mad:

Looks good. When will the rest of the city be modeled

Don't know, but it will likely take a lot of time... Considering that is a small part of it there, and that analogous modelling of Constantinople took huge loads of time for the byz1200 site.

It is very cool that locals are modelling this one, though :) By the looks of it quite good architects. The first two images remind me of de Chirico ;)

Have all the insides of buildings been modelled.

That looks awesome. I hope the artist continues the work. And I'd love to see regular houses. I'm always fascinated by how normal folk lived in bygone eras. We usually only hear about or see the big structures, because those are frequently all that remains, but once in a while archaeologists score something wonderfully mundane, like the Bronze Age village they're excavating north of London.

Top Bottom