Japan post-patch = Awesome

What about France?

Though the Musketeer can lay claim to the title of best boring unique, it comes too early for the game plan I'm talking about (this really isn't something you would start before Artillery/Bombers/Battleships, pick one) and competes with the wonders that France is obligated to build. Japan doesn't need to build any wonders to maximize its culture bonus and can just conquer them without losing out on a large part of their bonus.

Yes, but Chapeau gets like what, +2 culture? Seems about equal to fishing boat bonus.

It's better, actually. :p

France's bonuses are almost entirely tourism related. Japan is the only civ that is strongly encouraged by its uniques to both build culture and go to war (you could argue Brazil but the Pracinha is worse than Bushido). You could absolutely follow this strategy with France and see success but the game isn't straight out telling you through its design to do it like with Japan is all I'm saying.

Yes, but Chapeau gets like what, +2 culture? Seems about equal to fishing boat bonus.

More importantly, French Hats give Tourism once you get Hotels. Given that France is a Tourism-based civ, that's what Chateaus are for.

Japan is a militaristic civ which now gets cultural fish. Hooray?

I guess now we see why they were given that fishing dependency, so you`ll end up with a Faction that is actually LIKE the real Japan (an island). I don`t mind that, emulates reality of Japan.

Unfortunately allowing Japan no oil for Zeros is stupid though. Aircraft needed Oil. In fact Japan went to war because it needed more stuff like OIL. And no, `it`s a game not reality` excuse people come out with won`t cut it. Wish they`d chosen a different and more realistic solution there.

You're going to have an aneurism when you notice that Camel Archers require horses and War Chariots don't.

There are far, far, far too many ahistorical factors in Civ for you to start pulling out the realism card now.

You're going to have an aneurism when you notice that Camel Archers require horses and War Chariots don't.

There are far, far, far too many ahistorical factors in Civ for you to start pulling out the realism card now.

I know.

Xcom units and GDRs are two that I already went to hospital about.

I agree that a mountain jungle city can potentially be extremely strong late-game, but the problem is that the most crucial turns are the earliest ones, and that's when jungle sucks. Also, your listed potential yield relies on you finishing Commerce and Rationalism - unless you're Poland or playing a culture game, how on earth are you gonna finish a starting tree, Commerce, and Rationalism, and still have any culture to dump into Ideologies (which are generally some of the strongest policies)?

Sacred paths will push you through tradition super fast, I recently started a jungle/mountain game where I even though I beelined Universities and Observatories I still needed to dump 4 points into Patronage its foreseeable that you could have gone into commerce for the additional gold but I didn't.

I know.

Xcom units and GDRs are two that I already went to hospital about.

You could probably fairly easily make a simple mod that changes resource requirements about. I personally wouldn't mind seeing something like knights requiring both Iron and Horses, but being significantly more powerful than their current incarnation.

1+Culture a tile is a big deal...and not for nothing guys, but we are talking about sea resources, that guarantee a food tile of at least 2-6 Food, 2-5 production, and 1-3 gold with work boats on them. Maybe I'm playing wrong but sea resources are always worked in my game as soon as the light house is built, and unlike the Chataue, Kasbah, and Jungles, its a priority tile that is boosting Growth (Fish, Whales, Crab). And did we forget that Airport and Hotels factor in tile culture yield for tourism?

Japan has been changed for the much better and I look forward to playing them :)

Unfortunately allowing Japan no oil for Zeros is stupid though. Aircraft needed Oil. In fact Japan went to war because it needed more stuff like OIL. And no, `it`s a game not reality` excuse people come out with won`t cut it. Wish they`d chosen a different and more realistic solution there.
A frigate contains as much iron as a company of swordsmen, and both of them contain infinitely more than a battleship.

Also, I heard George Washington might not have been alive in 2000 BC.
1+Culture a tile is a big deal...and not for nothing guys, but we are talking about sea resources, that guarantee a food tile of at least 2-6 Food, 2-5 production, and 1-3 gold with work boats on them. Maybe I'm playing wrong but sea resources are always worked in my game as soon as the light house is built, and unlike the Chataue, Kasbah, and Jungles, its a priority tile that is boosting Growth (Fish, Whales, Crab). And did we forget that Airport and Hotels factor in tile culture yield for tourism?

Japan has been changed for the much better and I look forward to playing them :)
Exactly; an extra 2-3 culture in the early game makes an enormous difference, on par with settling a natural wonder in your capital, and later in the game, that gets boosted by buildings and wonders, and these tiles are huge food producers to boot. I can't imagine how someone manages to play this game more than a couple times without realizing that.

It is highly dependent upon the map, though. If you only have like 2 sea resources in your initial cities, it is not even worth mentioning. True, a small continent/island type map with a lot of atolls and resources around, and 3-4 culture per city is pretty significant.

I only add, because I interpret many of the "Japan changes are worthless" comments to basically mean that on most map types it will see very little to no use.

It is highly dependent upon the map, though. If you only have like 2 sea resources in your initial cities, it is not even worth mentioning. True, a small continent/island type map with a lot of atolls and resources around, and 3-4 culture per city is pretty significant.

I only add, because I interpret many of the "Japan changes are worthless" comments to basically mean that on most map types it will see very little to no use.

Most map types meaning Pangaea here. I play Pangaea more than any other map type, sure, but I'm willing to make an exception for playing civs that get expressly nerfed by it. I wouldn't play the Mongols on Large Islands, either. :crazyeye:

There are only a small number of civs that don't drop a tier when they're on a less favorable map script and I don't think anyone is going to argue that new Japan is on par with Korea.

I just played Japan last night and totally dominated a 6 man FFA. Their new abilities are not really their main buff. Their strongest buffs are indirect.

The fact that they start on a coast is extremely good because trade ships are pretty much OP. I had 6 of them going to and from cities giving massive food and hammer boosts the entire game.

The fact that their UA involves fishing boats is also good because it seems to give them a lot of fishing boat resources. This means +1 hammer from fishing boats is very strong with them. They are now really cool and fun to play. Before they were not fun to play and that was the biggest problem.

For those knocking the extra culture, it is significant in BNW because culture is much harder to come by in BNW.

I agree that a mountain jungle city can potentially be extremely strong late-game, but the problem is that the most crucial turns are the earliest ones, and that's when jungle sucks. Also, your listed potential yield relies on you finishing Commerce and Rationalism - unless you're Poland or playing a culture game, how on earth are you gonna finish a starting tree, Commerce, and Rationalism, and still have any culture to dump into Ideologies (which are generally some of the strongest policies)?

Ohh man you have no idea, I'm probably playing my most favourite game I've played in a long time. I've got a coastal river mountain city surrounded by dense jungle with one atoll of the coast. For resources I got two crabs, one gems, two sources of bananas, two fish, 9 iron in one source, and finally 4 coal in one source. I'm playing on archipelago, as soon as I moved my warrior three tiles away; Mt. Kilash comes into view. Put down a settler there as it was about 6 tiles from my capital. Ended up grabbing Sacred Path and with the other 3 cities I've settled near me and racking in like 40-50 culture from the terrain only. That's between fishing boats, atolls, and jungle. It awesome!! Not to mention science and gold from universities and trading posts on jungle.

Top Bottom