Is it a bug? I encounter it in every game!

pthieu1986

Warlord
It occurs to me countless times. I purchase lands near my borders with AIs and they ask me to stop doing that and i agree. But after some turns when my cities expand by culture accumulation, they tell me i break my promise. I don't think it makes sense coz it's out of my control actually.

This is an ooooooooooold bug. I don't think it gives you diplo penalities with other civs so i wouldn't worry too much.
BTW, i had this after i told them to "go to hell" when asked to stop buying tiles too.

If they are my neighbors, I usually tell them not to bother me anymore. We're gonna fight eventually anyway over territory, so who cares? :D

Same for CS complains, especially when AI from another side of the map tell me not to ally CS anymore since they fall under "their sphere of influence". :rolleyes: Yeah right. :rolleyes: Go get a cookie Lizzy.

Nice to know its an old bug that's not been addressed :p

In the same vein, if you got caught spying and promise not to again and respected that,you can get the "broken promise" modifier if the AI's spy gets killed trying to steal one of your techs.

In the same vein, if you got caught spying and promise not to again and respected that,you can get the "broken promise" modifier if the AI's spy gets killed trying to steal one of your techs.

I wondered about this!!!

My last game I played very diplomatically, and worked hard to not break any promises. When Washington caught one of my guys stealing, I promised not to do it again, and immediately relocated my spy. I noticed later in the game that I had a diplomatic penalty for "You promised to stop spying and didn't!" I was like... Waaaa?

That must have been what happened. Once I became tech leader, everyone sent their spies to my empire, and I know I caught Washington a couple of times, along with a few others.

I had no idea... seems like something that would be an easy fix (along with the land purchase/expansion issue). But I'm not programmer, I could be wrong.

Almost certainly a bug, but posting a counterspy in your capital is spying on them (sort of).

Almost certainly a bug, but posting a counterspy in your capital is spying on them (sort of).

Yeah, I've wondered if this was intentional or not so it's only after a few occurrences I've finally reported it as a bug and uploaded a saved file.

I told myself if it didn't seem very logical because the whole set up when you catch an AI spy, killing or just identifying it, results in the AI coming to you pitifully and asking to be forgiven (some are a bit more shameless, but the options remain the same). It's only then that you can get a diplo hit if you ask them not to spy anymore, or a small bonus if you forgive them.

It's not so much that an AI that extracted such a promise shouldn't have the possibility to also retaliate hypocritically by stealing a technology from you. It's just that using the "broken promise" modifier for this doesn't make any sense. You never promised to let the AI steal back from you without trying to stop it, you promised not to steal anymore. In fact, though, if an AI who exacted a promise then gets caught stealing, it should void the promise if you forgive them, or anger them if you don't let it slide.

If that's an intended situation and not a bug, they should at least relabel the negative modifier you get.

It's definitely a bug that needs to be addressed.

In my latest game I bought tiles near Egypt and he complained about it several turns later. I kindly told him where he could put himself, knowing I'd be buying more tiles later. I did promise not to settle any more cities near him, however.

By mid-game he spammed complaints that I'd broken my promise not to buy tiles near him. I NEVER EVEN MADE THAT PROMISE. I definitely had the negative modifier for it, and he kept complaining about it every 30 turns or so. It was even after I received a notification that my promise to not settle cities near him had concluded (which, again, is not the same promise, but might be related to the bug somehow?).

This needs to be fixed.

It's definitely a bug that needs to be addressed.

In my latest game I bought tiles near Egypt and he complained about it several turns later. I kindly told him where he could put himself, knowing I'd be buying more tiles later. I did promise not to settle any more cities near him, however.

By mid-game he spammed complaints that I'd broken my promise not to buy tiles near him. I NEVER EVEN MADE THAT PROMISE. I definitely had the negative modifier for it, and he kept complaining about it every 30 turns or so. It was even after I received a notification that my promise to not settle cities near him had concluded (which, again, is not the same promise, but might be related to the bug somehow?).

This needs to be fixed.

Since it affects a few different situations it looks almost as if the AI was passing to a new level of anger but that level has no programmed modifier and so the situation gets the worse modifier of the category which is the "broken promise" one. For me it was using a spy in defense after I stole technologies from an AI then having killed its spy trying to steal, while in your example it's the normal acquisition of tiles from culture that exacerbated border tensions after you had bought tiles near the AI previously and refused to stop. In both cases it should probably have triggered a denouncement (I really wish those would list the motives clearly and instead of a global diplo hit it would affect how the other AI perceive you in regards to the motives... eg: seing you as an expansionist, or Wonder monger etc.), but instead it picks the worse diplo modifier in the category even though it shouldn't apply.

If I keep receiving complaints for things I never did, I look at it as they are spreading lies about me and must be removed from the game.

Top Bottom