1.0.2.21 Game deals weird with don't expand near me promise

Optional

Deity
Here are 2 images from the same case; Russia had asked me to refrain from any more settling near her. As a result, at turn 86, I'm getting this message:

Another 10 turns later, Catherine has a different opinion:

That's contradictory, isn't it? Was I in the wrong or not?

What had happened was this: much earlier in the game I settled my first city, Adrianople, north of my capital, in the direction of Russia. We were friends, but Catherine was upset, and asked me not to continue settling near her. I apologised and said I wouldn't.
But Catherine denounces me and at turn 58 she declares war. I have not expanded any more before that, I didn't even buy a tile. Only on turn 61 I've settled Nicaea, after the war had already started.
I made a save at turn 82, here's the geography at that moment:
Spoiler :

I had forgotten about my promise when I was playing, but yeah, Nicaea is placed in a sensitive area. Moscow can't be seen, but it has to be in that north-western corner of the map, and then Nicaea isn't far away.
That message of "you may consider your promise to be fulfilled" is misleading. It's probably just meant to say that my promise has expired and that I don't need to worry about it anymore. I'm still at war with Catherine. At turn 95-96 we sign peace. It's then, now we're on speaking terms again, that she comes with her complaint about me breaking my promise. She's right about Nicaea being sensitively placed, fair enough.

Except, and here's probably the biggest gripe I have about this; what does it matter what promise I have made to someone who has in the meantime chosen to attack me? War cancels all other obligations - lux deals, research agreements, defense pacts - and this should be no different in my opinion. We made an agreement as friends, but she turned the tables when she attacked me. I can't be expected to respect the interests of someone who has declared war on me!

Save attached. When pressing next turn, Cath will make her complaint. In the notification logs the message about me having fulfilled my promise can be read. When retiring (which I haven't done) a full rundown of the history should appear. No mods, just DLC.

Top Bottom