any ideas for "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: The Movie"?

Random, I agree. I think that before we get cast members we gotta have a good plot. Sure smac is awesome but to the average soda slurping, action minded moviegoer, it's a bit of a yawn. So we gotta either make this an indie, or a bad action flic. Though a parody ain't bad.

Thinking about the idea now it would seem impossible to translate this into a film or TV adaptation given that there may be budgetary and technical boundaries but if such a translation could be and is possible to do then here's my idea on this

The whole story would be spread across six films like the Star Wars series and the plot could be adapted from these 4 literary sources attached to SMAC:

Spoiler :
Journey to Centauri (which is the prequel build-up to SMAC detailing the events on the SS Unity prior to Planet-fall)
Centauri Dawn (set decades after Planet-fall and details the conflict between the Peacekeepers and Spartans)
Dragon Sun (set some time after Centauri Dawn and details the conflict between Gaia's Stepdaughters and Morgan Industries as well as the Human Hive's break-away from planetary isolation - and both the Stepdaughters and Hive are seeking immortality which Morgan Industries already possesses)
Twilight of the Mind (set some time after Dragon Sun and details the conflict between the Lord's Believers and The University of Planet as well as that conflict's effects on the rest of the factions on the planet - and the ending to this novel is... well... not so pleasant but definitely a thought-provoker)

Done rightly, I think this series could evoke the feeling that this is "Star Wars meets Avatar meets Firefly meets Game of Thrones" which does sound like a bit of a bold and ambitious statement; if you want to appeal to the "average soda slurping, action minded moviegoer" then maybe make it have the feel of The Dark Knight or No Country for Old Men i.e. full of action and suspense yet filled with great in-depth characters, a gritty dark neo-noir atmosphere, believable romance and philosophical themes

As for cast, I read through this as well as thinking about it myself and I have come up with the following member ideas:

Spoiler :
Lady Deidre Skye - Jennifer Lawrence, Keira Knightley or Emma Watson for any parts of the movie that occur in the past (i.e. young Deidre Skye) and Rachel Weisz for the older Deidre Skye seeking immortality
Chairman Sheng Ji-Yang - Daniel Dae Kim for young Yang and Chow Yun-fat for older Yang
CEO Nwabudike Morgan - Denzel Washington for young Morgan and Morgan Freeman for older Morgan
Sister Miriam Godwinson - Emily Deschanel or Stana Katic for young Godwinson and Julianne Moore for older Godwinson
Provost Prokhor Zaharov - Brendan Gleeson or Gary Oldman (the age difference here doesn't matter)
Colonel Corazon Santiago - Michelle Rodriguez for young Santiago and Salma Hayek for older Santiago
Commissioner Pravin Lal - Irrfan Khan for young Lal and Ben Kingsley for old Lal

Now just to clarify, the reason for the inclusion of old and young versions of the same character has to do with what may be the story's structure in that Journey to Centauri would be woven into the main plot of Centauri Dawn, Dragon Sun and Twilight of the Mind possibly as flashbacks which give the young cast members ample screen time as their older counterparts

I actually also think this series should be co-directed by various directors one per entry in the series like James Cameron does one entry, Steven Spielberg does one, etc

This is just my opinion though on what the movie should be like should a project like this come to fruition. If only Sid actually had someone propose the idea to him and see what he does with it - either he could turn it into a TV series or a film series.

PS If the idea of weaving in a prequel to the main plot is a bit too fidgety and stupid then maybe the events of Journey could actually be more like a TV mini-series and Centauri Dawn, Dragon Sun and Twilight of the Mind could just be the main entries in the film series with original stories featuring the SMACX factions as a sequel series if initial series is successful

Yey! Let's revive this thread!

The whole story would be spread across six films like the Star Wars series and the plot could be adapted from these 4 literary sources attached to SMAC:

Spoiler :
Journey to Centauri (which is the prequel build-up to SMAC detailing the events on the SS Unity prior to Planet-fall)
Centauri Dawn (set decades after Planet-fall and details the conflict between the Peacekeepers and Spartans)
Dragon Sun (set some time after Centauri Dawn and details the conflict between Gaia's Stepdaughters and Morgan Industries as well as the Human Hive's break-away from planetary isolation - and both the Stepdaughters and Hive are seeking immortality which Morgan Industries already possesses)
Twilight of the Mind (set some time after Dragon Sun and details the conflict between the Lord's Believers and The University of Planet as well as that conflict's effects on the rest of the factions on the planet - and the ending to this novel is... well... not so pleasant but definitely a thought-provoker)

Yeah a series of movies would be nice. I started this thread before I even started my first game of SMAC, so I didn't realize how expansive the world of SMAC is, and I think around four to five movies would be enough for everything. I also started this thread when I was 12, and since then I have matured. So forgive the ignorance I have shown in the previous posts.

Done rightly, I think this series could evoke the feeling that this is "Star Wars meets Avatar meets Firefly meets Game of Thrones" which does sound like a bit of a bold and ambitious statement; if you want to appeal to the "average soda slurping, action minded moviegoer" then maybe make it have the feel of The Dark Knight or No Country for Old Men i.e. full of action and suspense yet filled with great in-depth characters, a gritty dark neo-noir atmosphere, believable romance and philosophical themes.

I was thinking the same thing - "Game of Thrones in Space" :lol:

As for cast, I read through this as well as thinking about it myself and I have come up with the following member ideas:

Spoiler :
Lady Deidre Skye - Jennifer Lawrence, Keira Knightley or Emma Watson for any parts of the movie that occur in the past (i.e. young Deidre Skye) and Rachel Weisz for the older Deidre Skye seeking immortality
Chairman Sheng Ji-Yang - Daniel Dae Kim for young Yang and Chow Yun-fat for older Yang
CEO Nwabudike Morgan - Denzel Washington for young Morgan and Morgan Freeman for older Morgan
Sister Miriam Godwinson - Emily Deschanel or Stana Katic for young Godwinson and Julianne Moore for older Godwinson
Provost Prokhor Zaharov - Brendan Gleeson or Gary Oldman (the age difference here doesn't matter)
Colonel Corazon Santiago - Michelle Rodriguez for young Santiago and Salma Hayek for older Santiago
Commissioner Pravin Lal - Irrfan Khan for young Lal and Ben Kingsley for old Lal

Now just to clarify, the reason for the inclusion of old and young versions of the same character has to do with what may be the story's structure in that Journey to Centauri would be woven into the main plot of Centauri Dawn, Dragon Sun and Twilight of the Mind possibly as flashbacks which give the young cast members ample screen time as their older counterparts

I know there are several lists of possible actors for the roles. I think it would be great if some of the actors come from the countries or regions themselves where the leaders come from:

Spoiler :

Lady Deidre Skye - Kelly MacDonald
Chairman Sheng Ji-Yang - Chow Yun-fat
CEO Nwabudike Morgan - Morgan Freeman! Or Idris Elba if Morgan's too old for acting.
Sister Miriam Godwinson - Jessica Chastain
Provost Prokhor Zaharov - Some old Russian actor. Have any ideas?
Colonel Corazon Santiago - Salma Hayek
Commissioner Pravin Lal - Amir Kapoor (that guy from Slumdog Millionaire)

I was also thinking that the promotional posters for each of the leaders would look like how those leaders posed in the artwork for the game. Each would have their frames or artwork style decorated with designs that fit their ideologies (Diedre with flowers around her and Scottish tartans, or Lal with Greco-Roman columns and laurel wreaths, etc.).

I know there are several lists of possible actors for the roles. I think it would be great if some of the actors come from the countries or regions themselves where the leaders come from:

Spoiler :

Lady Deidre Skye - Kelly MacDonald
Chairman Sheng Ji-Yang - Chow Yun-fat
CEO Nwabudike Morgan - Morgan Freeman! Or Idris Elba if Morgan's too old for acting.
Sister Miriam Godwinson - Jessica Chastain
Provost Prokhor Zaharov - Some old Russian actor. Have any ideas?
Colonel Corazon Santiago - Salma Hayek
Commissioner Pravin Lal - Amir Kapoor (that guy from Slumdog Millionaire)

I was also thinking that the promotional posters for each of the leaders would look like how those leaders posed in the artwork for the game. Each would have their frames or artwork style decorated with designs that fit their ideologies (Diedre with flowers around her and Scottish tartans, or Lal with Greco-Roman columns and laurel wreaths, etc.).

:goodjob: Good idea with the posters

As for the casting, I know the region thing is a nice touch and all but I am sticking to some of my ideas especially Julianne Moore as Godwinson - besides, Gary Oldman, with his chameleon acting skills, I think can pull off a decent Russian scientist role; also I never thought of Anil Kapoor as Lal so good call

Do you agree with:

1. the idea that the individual entries of the series should be made by different sci-fi directors (e.g. Scott, Spielberg, Cameron and Abrams)

2. the idea that the prequel story (Journey to Centauri) be integrated into the main plot or be a separate TV series (like Agents of SHIELD) as opposed to it being a separate film entry altogether

Also, if 4 or 5 films can be made and Journey to Centauri is not one of the entries (which in my mind most likely is not) then I think Dragon Sun should be the entry split into two films as opposed to Twilight of the Mind, the last entry in the series

Do you agree with:

1. the idea that the individual entries of the series should be made by different sci-fi directors (e.g. Scott, Spielberg, Cameron and Abrams)

Best if all of the movies are directed by one director

2. the idea that the prequel story (Journey to Centauri) be integrated into the main plot or be a separate TV series (like Agents of SHIELD) as opposed to it being a separate film entry altogether
This is Sid Meier. This isn't Marvel. XD

Also, if 4 or 5 films can be made and Journey to Centauri is not one of the entries (which in my mind most likely is not) then I think Dragon Sun should be the entry split into two films as opposed to Twilight of the Mind, the last entry in the series

I'm thinking something unorthodox. Instead of basing the movie on the books, why not the game itself? Like the script would come from one of ten games of SMAC played. The game with the best ending gets to be the script.

Best if all of the movies are directed by one director.

Fair enough although I'm torn between Scott, Abrams, Spielberg or Cameron (or even Whedon) as to who should be the director

This is Sid Meier. This isn't Marvel. XD

I know but methinks the concept could work nonetheless... maybe

I'm thinking something unorthodox. Instead of basing the movie on the books, why not the game itself? Like the script would come from one of ten games of SMAC played. The game with the best ending gets to be the script.

I haven't played through too much of the game so I cannot tell what scenarios of the game can be used. And in any case I still stand by the idea that the books should be the source material although it would be useful to perhaps incorporate elements of the scenarios into the film. Just need to run through the scenarios and see which ones would work.

Also I did read that the first novel Centauri Dawn is essentially The Iliad but in space and I reckon that would be something original for Hollywood to look into.

Top Bottom