Can't install on modern setup?

WTH?! Autorun.exe and/or setup.exe on the SMAC disc aren't initializing setup? This is Windows 7 x64. Had SMAC/X installed last fall. Don't have a clue why this is happening. Here's some basic system info:

Gigabyte X79-UP4
i7 4820K@4.4Ghz
Nvidia GTX 670
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600

Anyone else seen this? When I click setup.exe it runs in task manager but does nothing. Ending the process gives the "did this program install correctly" prompt box. Gonna try a reboot I guess.

How about a manual install by just copying the files to a folder? That might work but i don't remember how SMAX goes? Just in its' own folder called "Alien Crossfire" or "SMAX"?

Are you trying to install Alpha Centauri (SMAC) or Alien Crossfire (SMAX)? SMAX requires SMAC to be previously installed. If that's not the issue, what version of the game do you have? (original release, planetary pack, SOS, something else?)

It was SMAC, then SMAX....from original discs from '99 copied to HD.

Nevermind, I figured out the manual install. It's simply copying the "programs" folder from the disc to wherever you want, then the "fx", "movies", and "voices" folders into the same folder. Then for SMAX simply repeat from disc. Then patch as normal and tweak alphacentauri.ini as desired.

Top Bottom