The Deity Challenge Line-up #20 - Spain - Valentine day Resurrected

Thanks to consentient and Acken for reposting the save. I was able to get it.
Spoiler :

So this is my first time playing Deity. And I'm bad at Immortal, but I wanted to take a crack at these DCL's. Now is as good a time as any. My goal is to try and get a win, so I plan to turtle with a science victory.

I'm thrilled to see coastline. I usually do terrible in land, especially in jungle starts (I'd throttled myself playing Brazil, while easily winning CV's with other civs)

Head west with my warrior. Kilimanjaro! 500 gold, but I am paranoid about the city state engulfing it. And a ruin on a mountain. Huh. I guess the only way to get it is to extend borders around it, or something? Buy a settler, and grab the wonder. Love altitude training.

I hear that stealing workers is the way to go, which I've never been good at. Lhasa is right next door, and I nab a worker. Hey, that was easy. I hang around and nab another one. Soon, my scout is circling Lhasa like a pervert circling a middle school. The workers are the kids, and Barcelona is the windowless van they disappear into. This is easier than I thought.

My other scouts are grabbing stuff, and I meet a bunch of religious city states, and pop a hut with 60 faith. Nice. I don't usually aim for a religion, but a pantheon falls into my lap. One with nature? Religious idols? Stone circles? I honestly don't know what to choose. I go with religious idols, there is a lot of silver lying around. Ultimately, stone circles might have been the better bet.

I found Scientology, with tithe. Because I really don't see the other founding things as being effective, unless I want to put a lot of effort into spreading my religion. And I don't, because I suck at religion.

Turn 53, I notice that the capital of the Celts is way in the south. Yet Dublin was founded just to the East of my capital. Wtf. I found another city to the north, to grab all the cotton that is around. Hopefully I won't piss off Elizabeth, but she seems to be settling west.

I've found Barringer, and I decide this is as good a place as any for my fourth city. An Austrian settler shows up. Screw that, I take the settler, and hope the decision doesn't bite me in the ass. It doesn't, and I get peace soon afterward. Get the NC on turn 82. A new record for me. By about 40 turns. Things sure move faster on Deity. Get the oracle in Barcelona two turns later. Kilimanjaro is making it like I have two capitals. Halicannarsus(?) goes on turn 85, which seems way late. Interesting.

Hey, Deity is easy! I say screw it, might as well go for a cultural victory. I hate being bossed around culturally, and having all those angry faces around. I think I have a pathological need to be liked. More to the point, I'm getting cocky. I settle near Barringer, and buy a bunch of tiles.

Miss Chichen Itza by 3 at turn 99. I love wonders. And that is not a good thing. First minor setback. Take that in stride. Colossos goes on turn 116, which seems late. AI's seem to be slacking.

I've been getting Wu to attack everyone to the south, and everything is in an uproar. That is good. West is another issue, I can't get anyone to DoW anyone else. So they grow unchecked.

I get Sistine Chapel at turn 132, and Pisa at 153. I oxford into Industrialization. No coal. I hate that.

Everyones been real friendly, but that breaks with Elizabeth attacking me. I have a bunch of gatling guns at this point, and her army is mowed down. She's also fighting Russia, who is quickly snowballing out of control. Twice the number of points as the second highest (me). Elizabeth makes peace quickly.

I lose the world fair on turn 180 to Russia, and it isn't that close. This is the first indication that things are starting to go wrong. Catherine is grinding ahead, and getting bigger and bigger. Friendly, but she is piling up some serious culture.

I've gone Tradition, Aesthetics, and Rationalism. I bulb into radio, and choose Freedom. I build Eiffel, Globe Theater, and get the Statue of Liberty. I can't lose now, can I? I don't build the musicians guild, I plan on bombing Russia at the end. I end up bulbing my way to internet. I build CN Tower and Sydney Opera House. I go back and get airports, and my tourism is rolling. The problem: I have to melt through something like 80000 culture of Russia. Ultimately, I can't.

I follow up my plan, and essentially max out at around 500 Tourism. With the other modifiers, I am looking at about 850 a turn, and it isn't enough. Even after five musician bombs (5000+ each), I am over a hundred turns away. In desperation, I attempt to switch to a Science victory, but Catherine steals Hubble, even though I checked every turn until the last, which had me beating her to it. However, the turn before I would get Hubble, her number went mysteriously down, and she built it. I grabbed spaceship procurement, planning on buying parts, but my science simply didn't reach all the parts in time. Long story short, she launched on turn 332.

I would have won a science victory likely dozens of turns earlier, if I had stayed with the intial plan. And I shouldn't be letting a game drag out like this anyway. My first deity game, and it was a lot of fun. Had plenty of science, gold, and production (with tons of culture), which I don't always have. So some things were going right.

Still, I want to win next time.

:lol: at first I thought 80k? No way... :lol:
And then I just finished a game with the Celts and this happened... to the most unlikeliest of AIs...
(mind you I still managed to win... barely...)

I would like to see 6-digit lifetime culture for once in my civ career; perhaps someday I'll run into a super-runaway who got every wonder and conquered everyone else. :lol:

Yeah, the most I've seen is 95ish. 100k would be well beyond me. The most I've managed to overcome is around 60-70. When it goes more than that, I'm not a good enough CV player to win.

And actually, in my experience its the warmongers who chew up half the map who have the highest culture, oftentimes. In the France ICL Dido had a really high lifetime culture after swallowing virtually everyone.

The most I've seen in a game was around 50k on Quick which is practically impossible to deal with due to Firaxis failing at maths

I've also seen around 65k but that was on Epic and the numbers work in my favour then :)

All of this is the reason why I think if you can't win the World Fair, then it MUST NEVER HAPPEN

Yes, but how do you stop it if you don't have control of the WC?

Spoiler :
England was the culture runaway in my game, though I did get almost all of the wonders I wanted. England, Russia and Austria boxed me in immediately after I settled Barcelona, so I couldn't really build more than two cities. Fortunately this Petra spot is so ridiculous that it was OK. OCC might be doable on this map, although the food cargo ships help a lot.

I built Temple of Artemis on t35, Petra on t64 and the Hanging Gardens on t70. I picked up Philosophy and the NC after that, then grabbed Machu Picchu on t94 and the Alhambra on t99 with a naturally spawned GE. I had to go back to the top of the tech tree to get Education and then built the Leaning Tower of Pisa on t132, using the GE to pop the Sistine Chapel on t133. The Globe followed on t140 and the Uffizi on t152. Elizabeth was a couple of techs above me and loves Exploration, so unfortunately she took the Louvre from me, but I was the first to ideology (Freedom) and built the Eiffel Tower (faith GE) and Broadway.

Having picked up almost every relevant wonder I figured it would be a simple turtle to the Internet, but Russia and China double-DoWed me. They didn't send more than a couple of units each, so the main annoyance was their city state allies pillaging my cargo ships. Eventually I got a city from Russia for peace, and white peace with China. I tried to sell the Russian city to an AI, but nobody would pay more than 5 gpt for it, so I just kept it as a puppet.

England had taken Order and hated me, but I had convinced almost everybody else to adopt Freedom, other than China who went Autocracy. I had to overcome 51k culture from England, which required me to get airports before buying my GMs. I got second place at the World's Fair, but first place fortunately went to Austria. If England had won the WF I am not sure how long it would have taken me to win the game.

I bought an inquisitor early on in the game because there were so many missionaries and GPs running around, and without it I don't think I would have kept my religion. Barcelona was converted back and forth about a dozen times, but my religion was really only for the benefit of my capital, so I didn't care about that. I had desert folklore and +2 faith from each wonder, neither of which do anything in Barcelona.

Once I hit radar, I bought two airports and started buying GMs. 4 GM bombs later and the game was mine. Carthage only had 5100 culture over the whole game, which was strange.

This is my first cultural victory (actually first non-science victory) on Deity. The start is about as good as it can possibly get, and I can't imagine going for a cultural victory on a poor Deity start. Even with Petra and nine desert hills my spy was showing me that I just barely beat England to some of the Renaissance wonders. In a capital with poor production I don't know how you'd win.

Attachments

• Spain Deity 3.jpg
    Spain Deity 3.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Spain Deity 1.jpg
    Spain Deity 1.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Spain Deity 2.jpg
    Spain Deity 2.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Spain Deity 4.jpg
    Spain Deity 4.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 189
I decided to go back in and play a few more turns since I seen some players ran into some problems with this map and I kinda wanted to see how many units I could get with Heathen Conversion + Holy Warriors.

Up to turn 157

Spoiler :
I was pressing into Russia and she offered me 3 cities for 10 turns of peace and I took it. I wanted to take the cities to let my empire fall into unhappy to convert spawning barbs. It looks like they are going to be knights but that isn't so bad. It really doesn't matter what unit but obviously I'd rather have Range. Either way you can get a large army of these knights and do a lot of damage. Once the treaty is up I can use the knights to plunder and pillage more. I have the Pyramids so ... you know!

I got Machu Picchu as well and was at about +140gpt but took out some big loans recently. Anways... after I decide to get back into war I will sell one or two of these cities to get back into happy so I do not get the penalty. I almost was able to finish Piety before Rationalism but decided to open Ratio first to be able to build the PT. I am not going to finish fast but I think I will use this game to complete all the VC's and force a CV with war.

I took one with nature as my Panth, Tithe, Holy Warriors, Pagodas, Rel Texts, & Heathen Conversion for some fun instead of Jesuit Education.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Up to turn 201

Spoiler :
Almost leading in all Demos. I liberated Russia after Zurich destroyed her. The mighty Zurich has 3 cities total now!! I am pressing into Theodora and once I wipe her out I will work on the other side of the world. I have another large army just waiting to press in as soon as I get Artillery up. I only got to convert 4 Heathens before I decided to get happy and war it up again. Maybe I will do some more converting after I secure the West.

Screenshot of the Mighty CS and Demos

Spoiler :
It looks like Zurich is gonna keep all these cities and that is fine with me!

Yes, but how do you stop it if you don't have control of the WC?

You can't. You just hope nobody proposes it or pay people to vote against it. Never happened though but it's possible.

Also, sweet baby Jesus those are crazy tourism numbers! How on Earth did I pull off a culture win three times less I'll never know :D

Reserve Army turn 218

Spoiler :
I upgraded the Reserve Army and sent some of the troops over to join up after taking down Constantinople. I plan to take two more cities in the North but this army will be pressing into Austria, and China for now.

This is the largest Second Army I have ever had by far on Deity. I am 2:1 over the average and almost lead in all Demos for now. Sorta like playing in reverse. It does take some time to move all these units though.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Up to turn 245

Spoiler :
It is not going to be under the 240 turn limit but it is going to be a CV eventually. I found a city over by Mt. Sinai for the 16 extra faith but I guess it is overkill since I am over 200fpt which is a first for me on Deity. I made peace for now with the Celts after taking the capital on turn 245. I feel like a little Chinese food so I guess onto Dublin lol... Oh after taking this capital that is 21 cities and counting! Heathen Conversion was not needed and I think To the Glory of God would of been better on this map.

Cultural Victory Turn 278

Spoiler :
Not very fast but I wasn't going for speed and never do. I did find it interesting that I was the only Civ on this map to get to an Ideology, sorta proving that even if the AI can win by turn 250 that you can use Warmongering to push your game into much later turns. The tech rate is tough on the AI on this map because it is a big cluster and no room to expand. As you can see on my map I am the only Civ to plant one city on the other Cont. The Celts actually planted a city near two of my CS's and I used them to wipe her out for good. I didn't want to kill Russia but she denounced me and I used 5 Cavalry units to take out her only city. I actually got these 5 units from being -20 happy and they all were converted because they are Heathens! I never took a city with only mounted units before so that was another first. Anyways... this completes my own personal Cycle for all VCs on the new revised DCL so I guess that is something.

Final Screenshots

Spoiler :
Since I can not play a kb27787 style of game this is the only way I can win CV!
You can't see it on the pic but Carthage only had 6433 total culture in the end.

:lol: one city away from domination and total wipe-out of the map :lol:
(DomV is worth more in my eyes anyway... you should've just wiped her out!)

Well of course I should of but I needed the Cultural Victory to complete the cycle for the spreadsheet! Oddly enough I find CV to be the most difficult and worth more, especially your peaceful no bribe style... I guess it is just our styles clashing.

Well of course I should of but I needed the Cultural Victory to complete the cycle for the spreadsheet! Oddly enough I find CV to be the most difficult and worth more, especially your peaceful no bribe style... I guess it is just our styles clashing.

Well done. You're top of the list now with the most finishes. I guess you're glad you finished that game after all ;)

Playing HoF/GotM style -- absolutely no reloading, but do as you please in-game.

I did a 3-city Tradition opener, took a fourth city with Crossbows, and then founded four more cities post-Astronomy. (Conquistadors are fun.) With eight cities, endgame science gets crazy high. I managed to exceed 2,000 beakers, which has been a longtime goal of mine -- and I did it without a single Observatory!

The go-wide midgame plan plays out pretty interestingly. National Wonders had to all get squeezed out in a tight window, which meant I had to be frugal with World Wonders, even with great hammers and a tech lead. I built Forbidden Palace for happiness and Angkor Wat (!!!) in order to help out late city development.

The late city timing ended up such that Oxford wasn't going to be available in time for Radio, so I decided to go for Industrialization pre-Scientific Theory because I realized I would need Factories for Ideology. Those little deviations from the "standard" blueprint can be really satisfying. Did get Ideology first, went Freedom, grew big.

More spoiler-ish stuff:

Spoiler :
I sent my starting Warrior out to the NE, and then kind of looped back around westward when I didn't immediately hit anything. This meant that I missed the Barringer Crater for a long time, but I was at least able to find Kiliminjaro first around Turn 10. I was kind of scared that I might be too late and lose the tile to a city-state, but fortunately I raised the cash in time.

The AIs in this game were all super pious, and I didn't even get a pantheon -- I delayed Pottery to get early Bronze Working and it cost me, even with two Shrines. It wasn't that huge a deal, though, since the AI religion was gonna take over sooner or later. AI religions passing through my land also led me to prioritize alliances with the neighboring city-states, which seemed necessary for security reasons anyway. In turn, this led me to go into Patronage, and I went as far as the science policy before opening Rationalism.

The pious AIs were also very bad at science, and were so slow and backwards that I was unable to steal even a single tech with my spies. The lack of tech-steal kind of canceled out a lot of the fast science start I had.

The Celts gave me a pretty absurd forward-settle, which looks like it was a common occurrence. The isolated flatland city right in my front yard was too much of a gimme to leave alone, so I took it easily at Crossbows. My city-states probably could've taken it even without my help.

Attachments

• Spain1.jpg
    Spain1.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Spain2.jpg
    Spain2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Spain3.jpg
    Spain3.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 230
I'll try to play this one. Because cultural victory seems to be most popular and I don't want to play by yourself probably choose it.

@Acken Please consider to not choose terra maps anymore (I know you didn't chose this one), they only (due to size) slower late game and can by unplayable by people with slower computers
and give you nothing since nobody gonna plant cities on this new land unless roleplaying, but then maybe better play Skyrim? :rolleyes:

Are they that much bigger than a standard continents ?

Well, I don't know exactly, but for sure for me they make slower late game than continents.

Quick hello, as I finally have internet access after several days of diving in the cenotes in Mexico with no electricity at all. I've managed a very good start up to t120 and have a semi-entertaining story to share once I get back to civilization and can finish.

Checked out some Mayan ruins today in Tulum……..kinda fun to see that stuff and imagine how it would look on a Civ5 map.

See ya'll in a week or so.

Top Bottom