Always War Challenge #2- China Immortal

Good Luck to you. Please feel free to post it as AW #3 to keep an AW series going. I have no doubt of the ability of players and the rules are flexible. I have played AW quite a bit on all the Civ versions and am not half bad myself and I do not think this is possible. If you want to use the pillage repair exploit feel free it may be the only way esp. for the $$ support I still don't think anyone does it.

If you want to use the pillage repair exploit feel free it may be the only way esp. for the $$ support I still don't think anyone does it.

Huh?? Sorry, did I miss something? What is $$ support? Gold?

I won't make MUCH use of pillage repair, but it's sometimes handy ;)

I'm an Honor-Commerce guy for war, and never have troubles with gold. Pillage-repair is a last resort for me.

The problem for everything in deity AW is the early game (I have never gotten to the late game). The flood of units before you can get yourself up and going is just crazy. Think of being next to Oda and Shaka at the start. Now declare war on them on T5 and tell me you won't get crushed. By T80 if you survive you can be facing longswords and trebs or Xbows in great quantities. If you pumped only units what is your $$ situation. Do you have the $$ to upgrade even 3 archers. You can take out 1 civ early but I find you get bogged down really fast and good luck finding the $$ for upgrades. It takes quite awhile to complete honor and even then the $$ is a trickle for early units. On what turn do you complete honor and enter commerce? You won;t get there. I've seen people write well if I'm next to Oda or Shaka on deity I just quit or "tell me how to keep them from attacking". Well any civ you declare on and don't make peace with is going to build up units and come after you just like those 2, and they will be more advanced and in huge numbers. I think it could be done if you got the right map. Say you and 1 other on a continent. Take him out early and build up economy/science. I also think you would need all other victories disabled or you will lose to a launch before you can get domination.

The problem for everything in deity AW is the early game (I have never gotten to the late game). The flood of units before you can get yourself up and going is just crazy. Think of being next to Oda and Shaka at the start. Now declare war on them on T5 and tell me you won't get crushed. By T80 if you survive you can be facing longswords and trebs or Xbows in great quantities.
Well, even if you don't DoW them T5 you'll be facing the Impi/Samourai flood before T80 ;)
DoWing them will simply make it so they don't come all at once :lol:
I've already said this : when you are close to a big Warmonger it's often better to DoW them yourself as they tend to throw smaller groups at once most of the time and you can defend better. Conquest is another story of course as i'm not such a great warmonger :rolleyes:

DoWing them will simply make it so they don't come all at once :lol:

Not necessarily true. I did that to Shaka once and was fending off his spearmen with composite bows -- goal was to avoid them all turning into Impis. I thought was I doing fairly well, picking a unit off every turn or two with no losses and nearly pushing to take a city of his.

Then like 10 Impi appeared out of nowhere.

Yep, but maybe you would have had 20 if not for this ;)
It's true that Shaka and Oda are the worst of the warmonger neighbors. Shaka tends to spam cities like crazy (always goes liberty) so he can produce a lot at once (probably what happened in that game) while Oda seems to be pumping nothing but units all game long from his (often fewer) cities and can cripple you quite badly while he often does poorly against other AIs.

Turn 391 victory.

Processing/uploading 4th and 5th videos, will hopefully be done by tomorrow for the full playthrough.

Anyone else beaten this yet?

Congrats on your win LordBalkoth!! I know how you feel since I have been in some long war games on stand/stand Diety taking around 5 mins or more per turn and not winning until very late around turn 396. After I finish this game it will be fun to go and watch your whole LP of this game. I commend you for making such a long LP. I know the game was time consuming enough but to compress and upload all video files to youtube!!! Just WOW... I mean WOW! Just so I am clear you can pillage once but not repair correct? Or is it that you can't pillage at all??

Turn 0-19

Spoiler :
I didn't open or look at any games on this map yet so I am playing it HOF/GOTM style with all the rules listed for the AWC. It was nice to be able to trade embassies first but since I didn't have writing before meeting Pacal I didn't get to do that. However, I did find him and his capital around turn 14 I think. Very late but I scouted up North first and found the NW later than some of you have.

I was thinking about going Full Honor First but with this Desert and some variety of Luxes and it is Immortal I am going to try to make Full Liberty first work and move onto Full Honor later. I may have to change this plan mid-game but that is the idea in my head for now at least.

I had to back up my warrior and scout but a nearby Barb distracted Pacal's Warrior and allowed me to swoop in on this worker. I hope I can get his settler as well. I might not even make it back with the worker but I thought I would post up this worker steal even though I had to DOW on the turn that I met the Maya. Of course this is Immortal and I am sure it is harder to worker steal on Deity by far.

My Build Order was... Monument, Scout, Settler

Screenshot

Spoiler :

Edit: Up to Turn 92 ... I had to hard build Petra since cpt was too low and I did not try for Oracle.
I did not pillage/repair but I did pillage one hex since I think that is within the confines of the rules. You should be allowed to pillage in your enemies territory but I understand not being able to repair and pillage over and over and over. It makes sense that you could do it the first time only. If I am wrong about this rule I will change my tactic to No Pillage on the next AWC # 3 Ethiopia Deity.

Spoiler :
I built archers, markets and mints. I did throw in a caravan asap to send to Genoa who I was allied with for a few turns but lost them so I bombed them with a citadel to get the Silver. I am pressing into the Mayans and doing a little boot camping but I think that it is not needed since I will be warmongering taking down cities a lot! I took MoG to help with early spt and Tithe/Mosques this time. Holy Warriors was gone and I decided not to take Rel Community for the production but it was a tough choice. I went for the faith, cult, happy instead.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

After I finish this game it will be fun to go and watch your whole LP of this game. I commend you for making such a long LP. I know the game was time consuming enough but to compress and upload all video files to youtube!!! Just WOW... I mean WOW!

The whole Let's Play is about 10.5 hours long overall, though, so you may want to skip around a bit. Very long game.

Most of the compressing/uploading is done automatically, it's only 5 videos overall. I just leave my computer running overnight -- the catch is that it takes about 3-4 hours to process every hour of recording, so that's over 30-40 hours of processing total that eats up 100% of CPU (or as much of it as it can) so I have to pause the job if I need to do something else. The uploading takes a bit but still significantly faster than processing and doesn't hog CPU.

Just so I am clear you can pillage once but not repair correct? Or is it that you can't pillage at all??

If you pillage a tile, you cannot pillage it again unless another civilization repairs it.

Best of luck in your game!

Game seems easy to me but that is because I usually play this type of style anyway but I never have tried a game where you insta-Dow the Civ as soon as you meet them. I have had this idea though for a long time and it is nice to see some players giving it a go. I wanted to get into Honor but I think Commerce might be better for me.

Up to Turn 127

Spoiler :
Not much to say... I just kept beating the war drum and Razed two cities but most of these cities were really good with extra luxes or a NW for faith! I did use Liberty Finisher for NC. I just got Machinery a turn or so ago but did not really need it. I guess now it is time to get to Navigation and try to send this army overseas!

I built all the Gold Buildings. I just finished Machu Picchu which is very nice. I am currently working on EIC. I enhanced my Religion and it is going to take some time to convert all these cities but it is going to be very nice. I have enough gold for upgrades or allies. Seems like a fun easy game but I am sure it is going to get harder since I need to cross the Ocean but I guess I could just hunker down and tech up and go invade after I get the edge if I can get the edge. Of course you could argue that Cho's are plenty enough of an edge! I did not see any rule about not annexing so I will be doing that soon.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Can annex anything you like, it's your empire!

Curious to see how your game goes from there, you cleared your continent 21 turns faster than I did. Science is about 20-25% better at the same turn. I did go full Honor, though, which wound up paying dividends later in the game, I think, on gold for kills.

Up to turn 170

MoG is nice for some early spt when you are going to go wide and have a lot of roads (IMO).

WC has now been founded. I traded embassies for a lux and DOWed same turn on all Civs met. I like that because you find your CS's instantly :)! However I am being very lazy and just deciding to turtle to get the lead and go kill all Civs with things like Rocket Artillery, Nukes, and Paratroopers.

Spoiler :
I really messed up the Social Policies. I wanted to go Honor but with this land it seemed like Liberty was the better play. After that I wanted Honor but I was worried about gold so I went Commerce. After having decent CS allies I switched into Patronage which is where I should of went in the first place but going Commerce isn't so bad since I might get Big Ben and get into mercantilism to buy 930 gold nukes. I only met Theodora before anyone else and gave her the Instant DOW. After that I built things like Universities and Workshops and the usual. I was going to go for Pisa but was way off for it and glad since it changed my tech path. If I was ambitious I could go to Navigation and build up a force and go crush but I am playing it safer with all my units as outposts to kill any invading settlers/troops. I am working on building up my faith and taking over the landmass for the lord and savior of the world... Yeshua or as some of you know him Jesus!

Screenshotshots

Spoiler :

Yeah, my science on turn 170 was...75. Didn't even have education yet. Was banking on basically rolling everyone with the Chus before realizing that I was blocked by ocean.

I didn't even break 220 science until 214...at which point I got Secularism it seems and jumped to 270.

I also never exchanged embassies and luxuries in the spirit of the challenge..."I CARE NOTHING ABOUT YOUR CIVILIZATION OTHER THAN THAT IT WILL BE CRUSHED BENEATH MY HEEL!"

Am I doing it right?

"I CARE NOTHING ABOUT YOUR CIVILIZATION OTHER THAN THAT IT WILL BE CRUSHED BENEATH MY HEEL!"

Am I doing it right?

That is the general idea but you can trade for embassy if you like. Not much else you can really do.

I have not finished yet and will not be able to for a couple of weeks but I am in about your situation. Took the available land early with CB and spears. Then built and defended. I just invaded the other land mass and it will be a slog and take a fair amount of time but I think I should be able to do it.

BTW the always war idea has been around for a long time. I have played it with Civ2-Civ 5 and you can find some very exciting games in the succession game sections of civ2-4. The highest level beaten on 4 was I believe Emperor. On civ3 I won an AW OCC on Sid level:lol:

Well I don't think the embassy exchange is needed for this map but it was allowed in the rules so you know I am just kinda following how the OP formatted the challenge/series. However, I understand that you did not take them to be more true to the spirit of the challenge. Perhaps I could do it in the future or with Ethiopia.

I think you are doing it Perfect!!

Edit: I did not trade Luxes... what I did was trade a lux for an embassy and after that when I went back to the trade screen I DOWed and got my lux back which I didn't need anyway since I had many copies of each. It would of worked the same for 1gpt but it was faster to just click on a lux and click on an embassy instead of typing in 1gpt.

Up to turn 235

Spoiler :
In my mind this game is over. It was sort of over after taking out my Cont since it is on Immortal. However, I think stronger players like Acken and others could win this type of game on Deity. Although I only have this game to compare and it is on Conts which is easier.

So I have been just relaxing and teching up and building things like Big Ben, EIffel, Forbidden Palace and what not. I seem to have good control of the WC and I passed Science Funding and WF which I won by about 200 hammers to be able to close out Rationalism and got 4 deep into Order taking 5 year plan first for more production. I wanted to go Freedom but happy looked like it was going to be a problem so I chickened out and took the easier road. I spread Christianity all over my land mass and was able to buy a lot of happy buildings like pagodas, monasteries, and mosques since I had Pacals church in my cities for a good amount of time which worked out great since I was able to buy those along with my Religious Buildings.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Edit: Up to Turn 272

Spoiler :
Still playing slow and low. I have the ability for Rocket Artillery and Nukes now so the fun begins. I only seem to have 3 aluminum on this map so far so I need to go get more. I do have 3 Battleships doing damage and now it is time to go get Egypt and Theodora first I suppose. Time to take a break as I think the end of this game is just a matter of next turn next turn but since I am going to post up a Leaderboard for this series it will be fun to see what turn I finish on although I am sure it is going to be over 300 but I think this map is doable pre 250 perhaps other stronger players can finish pre 200 for sure!

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Edit: Thebes Falls Turn 286

Spoiler :
My worker is for vision/baiting but I almost started to repair a hex I pillaged but had to slap my hand away lol!
I didn't need to nuke Memphis but I did it for some fun and to make it a little easier killing some troops.
Also I am not timing things or playing very good so if you were to really focus you could finish this game
much faster but as usual I am not worried about speed.

Yeah, I didn't even launch my attack on Egypt until probably around turn 325 (with Battleships, Great War Bombers, and Carriers), got Thebes on turn 342. You have a large tech advantage that I didn't have, though, due to cascading effects of you not ignoring science early on like I did.

Why did you raze the western city, though? Going to have difficulty connecting Thebes to your capital now without a harbor there. Or did he not settle there in your game?

Time to take a break as I think the end of this game is just a matter of next turn next turn but since I am going to post up a Leaderboard for this series it will be fun to see what turn I finish on although I am sure it is going to be over 300 but I think this map is doable pre 250 perhaps other stronger players can finish pre 200 for sure!

Yeah, my time was pretty terrible due to my low science and not realizing I'd need to invade overseas initially.

@ Lordbalkoth & Up to turn 317

Spoiler :
LOL ... I am not playing very precise. Since this game was in the bag on about turn 127 I kinda just do whatever I want not thinking and making a lot of mistakes. I didn't think about the connection until I seen your question!! I am probably missing out on a lot of gpt since these cities are unconnected but I am focused on the War and trying to capture all capitals so I can end this game :)!! However, I never play an optimal game and I never finish fast but I try to finish and win.

I have to admit that it is a very relaxing game though. This is a good game for me after I got overrun on the DCL 21 India :)

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Deity was too hard for me, but i knew it before trying so if you can post another Immortal one without DLC maps i'll be interested to try it.

Top Bottom