The Deity Challenge Line-up #21 - India

Yeah the map is quite difficult and the odds are stacked against you.
The map is doable if you just clench your teeth and do a standard science turtle up. Also, I kind of enjoyed no ruins.

Anyway. I stopped playing Civ last December after that Netherlands map with Dido 10 tiles away, and ever since I did not feel the urge to pick a game... and this playthrough reminded me why. You will see in the North-West my city Varanasi. It was founded on the ruins of Beshbalik. I kind of knew it was a bad idea to drop a city there, but I really wanted the salt and extra spices and Cocoa. In the end, Shaka grabbed Salt right before my eyes and then proceeded to drop 6 (!) citadels to make that city unworkable. I just sold it to Assyria who was kicking Shaka's butt, and I barely squeezed a science win before Ashurbanipal moved his army to my borders. Most City-States were either conquered or married away to Austria. Pretty typical deity game: no fun and annoying AI behavior.

Hey adcarrymaokai. Welcome back! I hope you stick around. I enjoyed reading about your games. You've unluckily chosen a couple of quite difficult and (IMO) unenjoyable challenges as your last two DCLs. The Netherlands map had an awkward start that it wasn't much fun to turtle in. Probably the same for this one. I played til about T40 or so when I had scouted the continent and saw there was no good dirt and two psychopaths for neighbours. Not saying I couldn't have won, but turtling science and diplomatic on bad dirt are not usually my thing and I'm probably not versatile enough for CV or DomV on this map.

But why not give one of the other maps a try? How about #17, an interesting Germany start? There will also be another one released in a few days, which could be an interesting Brazil map.

the most difficult thing about this map is the severe lack of production until Factories, psycho neighbors are kind of manageable. Also, this is the third different scenario now, maybe the next one will have the last remaining possibility :D

The map is doable if you just clench your teeth and do a standard science turtle up. Also, I kind of enjoyed no ruins.

Anyway. I stopped playing Civ last December after that Netherlands map with Dido 10 tiles away, and ever since I did not feel the urge to pick a game... and this playthrough reminded me why. You will see in the North-West my city Varanasi. It was founded on the ruins of Beshbalik. I kind of knew it was a bad idea to drop a city there, but I really wanted the salt and extra spices and Cocoa. In the end, Shaka grabbed Salt right before my eyes and then proceeded to drop 6 (!) citadels to make that city unworkable. I just sold it to Assyria who was kicking Shaka's butt, and I barely squeezed a science win before Ashurbanipal moved his army to my borders. Most City-States were either conquered or married away to Austria. Pretty typical deity game: no fun and annoying AI behavior.

I will do varying degrees of difficulties. Stick around if this one didn't fit your liking. Also you could try some of the previous ones.

FWIW i won't finish this one. At least not now (maybe if i get better at Deity but i doubt it)
Spoiler :
Crazy neighbors make a difficult game, but i think they can make an interesting game
OTOH, production starved start makes for a difficult and boring game (at least for me)
Both makes a very difficult and boring game

Fluphen Azine : do you want me to try and find last save so i can tell you about what turn i resigned? I'm still alive, could probably last much longer, but i don't enjoy this map.

I still have to find an enjoyable India map BTW :confused:

roll one yourself, pick all friendly neighbors and reroll until you get mountains, rivers and salt ;)

Well salt is nice but i don't ask for salt everywhere, however on this map production really sucked. Or did you actually manage to have a good production? If so i made something really wrong.
Spoiler :

I settled on the Gems (early :c5production:, :c5gold: and :c5happy: + hill defense seemed good but seeing some of your screen-shots (especially Acken's) i realize it removed a good expo site next to the NE mountain.
Maybe i didn't go Bronze Working fast enough. Do you beeline that immediately even before writing when you get an all jungle start like this?
Maybe going out of the jungle like KB(whatnumber?) did would be better, don't know. Jungle-mountain in cap can really put lots of science. My biggest issue is lack of production for a good part of the early game. Even after Bronze Working i still had :c5production: only in the capital. Other cities were producing next to nothing :(
Of course i fell in the trap of trying to grab Sinai

I will do varying degrees of difficulties. Stick around if this one didn't fit your liking. Also you could try some of the previous ones.
I am doing the Babylon OCC. It's only t210, but France is taking almost a minute for its turn. I always watch youtube on my second screen while playing Civ, but even then I really don't have the patience to grind through these turns anymore. Something is bugged with France on this map.

Well salt is nice but i don't ask for salt everywhere, however on this map production really sucked. Or did you actually manage to have a good production? If so i made something really wrong.
Spoiler :

I settled on the Gems (early :c5production:, :c5gold: and :c5happy: + hill defense seemed good but seeing some of your screen-shots (especially Acken's) i realize it removed a good expo site next to the NE mountain.
Maybe i didn't go Bronze Working fast enough. Do you beeline that immediately even before writing when you get an all jungle start like this?
Maybe going out of the jungle like KB(whatnumber?) did would be better, don't know. Jungle-mountain in cap can really put lots of science. My biggest issue is lack of production for a good part of the early game. Even after Bronze Working i still had :c5production: only in the capital. Other cities were producing next to nothing :(

No man, I didn't even break 200 for SS parts, it was that bad all game

I am doing the Babylon OCC. It's only t210, but France is taking almost a minute for its turn. I always watch youtube on my second screen while playing Civ, but even then I really don't have the patience to grind through these turns anymore. Something is bugged with France on this map.

Do you know about Quick Movement? :confused:

Thru t103

Spoiler :

I settled 1 hex East next to the mountain and sent the Warrior South where he met 2 CS (Yeah! +8 faith). Because of the lack of ruins, I skipped building a Scout and went Monument > Shrine > Settler (to grab Mt. Sinai before Valetta could claim it) > Library.

I got a 15 faith pantheon and took Sacred Paths. 2nd religion, with Sinai's help and I took Tithe and Pagodas.

Given the poor production, I made up my mind early to go Petra gambit and opened Tradition before going Liberty Opener > Republic > Citizenship > Meritocracy > then timed completion of Oracle with natural SP to grab last 2 tenets and my free GE on t82. Researched Currency t83 and marched the GE down my road to pop Petra.

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 7.41.39 AM.jpg

I marched the free Settler SE and it looks like I'll settle for a 3 city tall SV goal. I could have grabbed a 4th city in the NE near Old Faithful, thus securing another coastal city and a monopoly on Cocoa, but didn't really want to settle in the face of Genghis AND Shaka. I freed an Assyrian settler (already had enough workers) and Ashur marched him up to the Old Faithful spot. I'm guessing this is going to trigger some hard feelings and I'm hoping to let those 3 warmongers fight it out while I'm their main trade partner.

T93 Shaka DoW's me out of the blue, but I had a couple of foot soldier gifts from Valetta in hand and my 3rd Battle Pachyderm almost finished. Shaka only sent 2 Impis my way so this was easy to repel. Genghis DoW's Shaka about 5 turns later, and I made easy peace. Big problem was that Shaka fancied himself as some sort of a naval genius and sent about 8 triremes after my coastal cities and kept plundering about 10 GPT which kept me just under the 400 gold I needed to buy my library in Vijayanagara, thus delaying NC an additional 10 turns (it will go around t110 and Unis will be t120ish).

Genghis has already taken out 2 CS but Shaka took Beshalik from him before the two made peace. The central part of this continent is going to be a freakin bloody bathtub and I'm just hoping to stay out of the way.

Time to focus on growth and culture and hopefully I can finish Tradition in time to avoid delaying opening of Rationalism. This should work with 3 cities, but I'm not liking my chances to win World's Fair given the lack of production. I don't really want to be chopping my jungle and don't have much forest, so I'll just hope the world is at war when WF is proposed.

It's turtle-time……here's my current "empire":

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 8.11.21 AM.jpg

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
-You'll have to wait until Factories and chemistry for good production. At that point my capital was making an artillery in 6 turns so that sounds reasonable to me. But yeah you'll have to forget about wonders on this one.
-The start could be worse in production. There are some hills and some food bonuses, it's not all barren flat jungle :p
-Yes bronze working is top priority, just beeline for it (can take pottery first).

Do you know about Quick Movement? :confused:
Of course, I do. But even with quick movement, it is just too long for me. I have been playing match-based online multi-player games where every second of your actions counts because you are going against humans... I guess I am just too used to fast pace. Though.. you know. I started playing Civ 3 back in 2004, and lategame turn times have always bothered me. All these years.

Thru t103

Spoiler :

I settled 1 hex East next to the mountain and sent the Warrior South where he met 2 CS (Yeah! +8 faith). Because of the lack of ruins, I skipped building a Scout and went Monument > Shrine > Settler (to grab Mt. Sinai before Valetta could claim it) > Library.

I got a 15 faith pantheon and took Sacred Paths. 2nd religion, with Sinai's help and I took Tithe and Pagodas.

Given the poor production, I made up my mind early to go Petra gambit and opened Tradition before going Liberty Opener > Republic > Citizenship > Meritocracy > then timed completion of Oracle with natural SP to grab last 2 tenets and my free GE on t82. Researched Currency t83 and marched the GE down my road to pop Petra.

View attachment 390384

I marched the free Settler SE and it looks like I'll settle for a 3 city tall SV goal. I could have grabbed a 4th city in the NE near Old Faithful, thus securing another coastal city and a monopoly on Cocoa, but didn't really want to settle in the face of Genghis AND Shaka. I freed an Assyrian settler (already had enough workers) and Ashur marched him up to the Old Faithful spot. I'm guessing this is going to trigger some hard feelings and I'm hoping to let those 3 warmongers fight it out while I'm their main trade partner.

T93 Shaka DoW's me out of the blue, but I had a couple of foot soldier gifts from Valetta in hand and my 3rd Battle Pachyderm almost finished. Shaka only sent 2 Impis my way so this was easy to repel. Genghis DoW's Shaka about 5 turns later, and I made easy peace. Big problem was that Shaka fancied himself as some sort of a naval genius and sent about 8 triremes after my coastal cities and kept plundering about 10 GPT which kept me just under the 400 gold I needed to buy my library in Vijayanagara, thus delaying NC an additional 10 turns (it will go around t110 and Unis will be t120ish).

Genghis has already taken out 2 CS but Shaka took Beshalik from him before the two made peace. The central part of this continent is going to be a freakin bloody bathtub and I'm just hoping to stay out of the way.

Time to focus on growth and culture and hopefully I can finish Tradition in time to avoid delaying opening of Rationalism. This should work with 3 cities, but I'm not liking my chances to win World's Fair given the lack of production. I don't really want to be chopping my jungle and don't have much forest, so I'll just hope the world is at war when WF is proposed.

It's turtle-time……here's my current "empire":

View attachment 390385

Interesting. Petra was gone on t59 in my game. Austria always builds it... because... for some reason, Austria almost always starts near desert (and Germany, as well). I don't understand it. Austria is located on grassland along the Alps, why does it have desert start bias in the game? :confused:

Well, hopefully i won't be that bad with the Brazil map (i guess there will be jungles too). I actually never played a map with a start that was almost only jungle/marches so i actually liked jungle before, something like 6-7 jungles in the capital radius (3 rings) and didn't really understood why everyone complained that jungle starts sucked. Now i know what a true jungle start feels like :p

I recently took the time to actually watch some Pedroelms DCL2 vids and decided to give that map a try myself so hopefully
Spoiler :
Attila will pay for the annoyance caused by Gengis and Shaka. Those 2 were at war, made peace and joined against me in one turn :wallbash: That didn't help my production of course as the hills were between Shaka and my cap so even thought they barely scratched my walls, their pitiful attack was annoying as hell

Am I the only one who actually got the psycho to be an actual friend, like DoF and everything :lol:

Am I the only one who actually got the psycho to be an actual friend, like DoF and everything :lol:
Even if I did, I would never accept. People claim that Shaka is a loyal friend, but I have been traumatized by Dido's betrayal on several occasions, so I never trust anyone anymore. I also never give embassy to certain leaders ever.

Well, hopefully i won't be that bad with the Brazil map (i guess there will be jungles too). I actually never played a map with a start that was almost only jungle/marches so i actually liked jungle before, something like 6-7 jungles in the capital radius (3 rings) and didn't really understood why everyone complained that jungle starts sucked. Now i know what a true jungle start feels like :p

I recently took the time to actually watch some Pedroelms DCL2 vids and decided to give that map a try myself so hopefully
Spoiler :
Attila will pay for the annoyance caused by Gengis and Shaka. Those 2 were at war, made peace and joined against me in one turn :wallbash: That didn't help my production of course as the hills were between Shaka and my cap so even thought they barely scratched my walls, their pitiful attack was annoying as hell

No worries, Brazil is the map I've submitted, and I'm nowhere near as sadistic as Mr. Acken is :lol:
Actually the Brazil start is quite easy.

Interesting. Petra was gone on t59 in my game. Austria always builds it... because... for some reason, Austria almost always starts near desert (and Germany, as well). I don't understand it. Austria is located on grassland along the Alps, why does it have desert start bias in the game? :confused:

Spoiler :

Well I hadn't met Austria by this point, so they weren't a consideration. I can't specifically recall Maria T being a Petra-wh*re, but I'll take your word for it.

I was worried about Arabia, given that their desert start looked pretty production strong, but it appears that they went the Theology route instead……not to mention that I bribed one of the warmongers to distract them from any nonsense like wonder-building.

t84 is a bit late for a Petra gambit, but given the slow starting terrain, it was worth the gamble for me. The worst thing that can happen, other than seriously delaying Tradition finish/Rationalism opener, is that someone builds it while your GE is making his way to the desert city. In that case, you still have a GE to help out with another solid Wonder (I would have beelined Printing Press in this game) or even to plant in Delhi to help with the early game production issue. If it were built shortly before Liberty finisher, I'd likely opt for a GS.

Top Bottom