The Always War Challenge #3 - Ethiopia Deity

consentient

Domination!
Following on from Mark1031's idea, here is a map at Deity difficulty for testing by anyone who wants to follow one simple game rule:

The turn you meet an AI civilisation, you must DoW them, IMMEDIATELY, and never make a peace deal, even if they ask for it.

• Suggested VC is Domination, mainly because the other VCs will be significantly more difficult than normal with no peace. Pushing tourism into civs you are at war with basically doesn't work. Trying to Ally all the CS when most of them are your permanent enemies is also near impossible (you'd have to wait for their alliance to expire, which might not happen). Science victory is possible but without RAs, and with having everyone hate you, it would be even more painful than the usual 'Next Turn' mundanity.

• Ancient Ruins and Barbarians are both off to compensate slightly for the horrendous handicap one would have not even being able to scout peacefully and miss out on all the pop, faith, culture, gold, etc that would be in the ruins, and having to deal with barbs too. I mean, it's you vs. the world. Not all-vs-all. If the AI civs can, on top of being able to trade with one another, sign RAs with one another, etc, and all their usual OP advantages, get an insane headstart like T5 writing etc, then this would probably be unwinnable.

• I think Mark1031 is right that this challenge should be at least quite difficult, but not, I think impossible. I've personally never tried it, so am giving it a go as a test. I chose Ethiopia because they aren't bad for warmongering, have a UU that could be handy later, give options for Religion, and give a reason to go Honor, which is the only way I think this map is ever going to be won.

• AI civs have been chosen for an average to above-average strength bunch, and a good mix of personalities.

• I've not looked at the map except to remove some ice in case anyone cares about boats (I usually don't bother as I don't like losing tiles to ocean).

T66 THIS IS REALLY HARD

Spoiler :
The three closest neighbours are attacking all at once. Building mainly archers was obvious, but one of those neighbours has a golden age bonus that won't go away :(

Keeping the workers safe, the caravan safe and, above all, the cities safe, is not very easy. This could get nasty when you-know-who gets pikes :(

Prize of a Snickers bar to the first player to successfully steal a worker from an AI when you have to DoW before the steal :D

May give this a map a go in a day or two, but just finished the Immortal version with a turn 391 victory. And when it takes 6 hours to proceed 60 turns...ugh.

Spoiler :
Taking a wild guess that you're referring to Darius and Shaka.

T109 Resign

It has been bloody hell even getting this far, but I cannot go any further. Anyone who plays this and wins is far, far better than I am.

Good luck everyone!

I'd be curious to see how you did on the Immortal map. I'm not sure this is beatable on Deity AND Pangaea.

I think you'd best start with Mongolia or Arabia :lol:
At least Zulus cmon... or Huns.

Ethiopia is a turtling, religious-spreading civ... once you have the most cities (which you will, going domination) the UA is useless.
UU is also useless if you're fighting AWAY from your capitol (which you will, invading all the time)

So, I know better than to even attempt the challenge... only people who will succeed probably will be the likes of Acken or Ironfighter.

So, I know better than to even attempt the challenge... only people who will succeed probably will be the likes of Acken or Ironfighter.

I think this is probably beyond even them. And I think that even the Huns or Mongols will struggle if you have to fight 3-4 wars simultaneously from T10 or so :(

OK, I'm foolishly giving this a try. :crazyeye:

Turn 65:

Spoiler :
Settled on the hill next to the mountain. Build order: Stele - Warrior - Archer - Worker - Granary - Settler - Archer - Library - Caravan (to Geneva for a whopping 2 gpt) - Walls - NC up next. Techs: AH - Archery - Pottery - Mining - Masonry - The Wheel - Calendar - Philosophy. Policies: Tradition through Landed Elite. Pantheon - Goddess of Protection (I never take this, but sounded like a good idea with the Ethiopian UA to complement).

Moved my first warrior in a big circle around my capital. Stole a worker from Florence and one from Geneva. At war with 6 AI's that have met me so far, but none have sent any army my way yet (they keep trying to make straight peace). I have killed a few roaming scouts and warriors, that's it. Also at war with Florence but not with Geneva, so I sent a caravan there. Settled a second city on the south coastal hill next to the cocoa and 3 fish. Plan on a 2-city NC, then we'll see what happens. There is room for more cities, but gold is going to be the biggest problem. There is only one workable tile with gold yield in my entire capital (marble) and one in my other city so far (cocoa). I am currently running at 0 gpt with 2 garrisoned troops. It would also be nice if my capital had more than one lux, but it will have decent growth and good production with 4 stable resources and 2 stone.

I'm not expecting to win this thing. Just trying to see how long I can hang on.

Turn 120:

Spoiler :
Built the Mausoleum in my capital, which helped a lot with gold. Missed the HG by 2 turns. Settled city 3 to the west (wine spot) - didn't realize how close it was to Venice and Polynesia due to fog of war, but not threatened so far. My horseman is having fun pillaging tiles over there. Quickly got another religion in that city and was able to buy a monastery. I got my own religion as well and took Tithe and %production belief (I always forget the name).

Geneva was finally allied by another civ, so that's it for trading partners. Internal routes only from now on I guess. Lots of iron around. Slowly building up an army. Rome has expanded near me now too. Gonna be T128 Education, which is very late. Only 9% behind in tech though. Screenshot below:

Spoiler :

First time I heard of this idea, really interesting. I haven't read any of the spoilers yet, thinking of giving it a shot tomorrow and recording it as a Let's Play. Figure it will only be an episode or 2 at the most, but could be interesting :blush:

Yeah, I haven't looked at the actual game yet but Ethiopia is really bad for this. The UA can help with the first civ sometimes but that's it and their Rifle UU is just for defense. They're actually a great domination civ if you do the 4-city Tradition -> Military Science/Dynamite thing but they're awful for this circumstance.

I may give it a try to take a break from the "pure peaceful" (gross) stuff I've been experimenting with lately but yeah, wow, I think this would be brutal.

Okay I just took a look and found something that's kind of a huge deal:

Spoiler :

About 7-8 tiles north of the mountain near your starting location...is El Dorado :crazyeye: Throwing this one out because El Dorado is dumb even in something as insane as this :p Will send my Warrior elsewhere

Since my Defeat on the recent DCL, I might as well give this new Series a few tries. I suppose I should start with the China Immortal game to get a feel for it. I do not plan to last long on the AWDCL but will give Ethiopia a go for some added misery which I find fun for my games! I love getting overrun and not being able to get out of it!

I decided to run a Leaderboard for this Series as well for some added enjoyment. Players that post up the turn they are defeated will be on the board for the turn they get defeated. Replays/Reloads can not be verified so they will be allowed. One Victory per map posted. You can't improve your victory turn time but defeat turn times can be improved and will be adjusted as posted. A player that has a victory will be ahead of any turn time that was defeated no matter how much higher the turn time is. This is more of a fun competition rather than a serious one!

By the way... really nice to see ElCee (plays civ) or Light Cleric back on the boards and hope to see some recent LPs soon and I do not think I seen an end to the Denmark LP but I haven't checked on that for some time but last I saw the game was in the bag!! Don't give up on those LPs if you have the time because some of us actually watch and enjoy every minute!

Yeah LC one of the best warmongers out there (I watched some of his videos)
Surely, he thinks having El Dorado was too much of a handicap despite the all-war rule :lol:
Just shows he's in a different league than the average player.

Well I appreciate that but I mostly threw it out because it kinda kills the point of the challenge. I have serious doubts about being able to beat this now that I have seen the civs that are your neighbors in this game.

Spoiler :
That's pretty funny. If you look at my SS above you will see that on turn 120 I haven't even found El Dorado yet. I doubt I would have settled up there anyway (Mayans got it early), but that early 100 or 500 gold would have been nice (but not game-breaking in this case probably).

Spoiler :

Remember it's 500 gold if you find it first, nothing otherwise, you only get 100g if you find it not-first as Spain. If it was only 100g I wouldn't have thrown it out.

Also I'm only like turn 25 and I'm already tired of being asked for white peace 6 times in a row.

Yeah I think I remember watching a Poland video you did where Gandhi offered you a Settler. Will be sure to go back and finish it, since the others are praising your warmongering. I want to improve mine.

As for ED, it's quite likely players won't find it. I found it when I settled my expo kinda near it but there was no gold for me. I don't think 500g would make a difference to how well you can simultaneously fend off
Spoiler :
Legions, Immortals and swarms of Atlatists.

Played through the first 130 turns or so, lots of fun! Recorded it here if anyone is interested:

Part 1

Part 2 uploading but will be up soon, should be this link.

Or better yet the Playlist I'll add to:
Playlist

Spoiler :
My strategy for the game is to turtle up with a few very defensive cities. I thought honor would be weak without barbs so I went with tradition. As of now I'm going to sit on only 3 cities as I have happiness concerns as they grow (if they ever grow).

Biggest regret: I didn't go after the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus! It would have been perfect for this game where gold is hard to come-by. Also Hanging Gardens went very late, I'm thinking someone who goes after the Mausoleum and HG would have a real good game.

Only issues I'm having on defense is with the city state in MY corner. Thinking if I want a 4th city I'll capture it, should be easier to defend my empire that way.

Saw El Dorado but could tell it was a crowded part of the map, not even a second thought on passing it up.

My approach may be too conservative and I'm going to bank on the fact I can still out-tech this group of AI's at the end of the game and set off for Beyond Earth (and declare war on everyone there also).

Spoiler :
Troops from Rome, Persia and Polynesia overwhelmed my capital. I killed off all siege that got close, but couldn't kill enough crossbows and melee. They kept suiciding large numbers of melee into the city and completely blocked the area around it so I couldn't get any more troops there to defend. I only held out this long because of Ethiopia UA + Goddess of Protection + Oligarchy + Defender of the Faith. I don't think any other civ would have a chance on this map. Too many fronts to defend. To have a chance I think you would need to start in a corner with some room to expand and a natural barrier, with only one or two immediate neighbors attacking from one front. In this game I was fighting Polynesia and Venice from the west and south (galleas/frigates), Persia and Rome from the north and east and Geneva from the east. Their units weren't even that strong compared with mine, they just had a massive number advantage.

Here's a SS from the turn before losing my capital. So close (not):

Spoiler :

T66 THIS IS REALLY HARD

Spoiler :
The three closest neighbours are attacking all at once. Building mainly archers was obvious, but one of those neighbours has a golden age bonus that won't go away :(

Keeping the workers safe, the caravan safe and, above all, the cities safe, is not very easy. This could get nasty when you-know-who gets pikes :(

Prize of a Snickers bar to the first player to successfully steal a worker from an AI when you have to DoW before the steal :D

Spoiler :
I could off Persia around T25-30. The cows south east of him are really exposed.

Currently giving it a try. Biggest problem is gold.
Spoiler :

Edit: I'm on turn 111, just got machinery and finally back into positive gold. Maybe I can make something happen here. Policies use: Republic + full honor.

Edit: Gave up around T180. I was nowhere dead but my game was going nowhere. I was able to capture some persian cities but fighting riflemens and strength 80 cities with crossbows is way too slow. My science is abysmal I'm looking at a T230 artillery or something. My biggest problem was that persia was way ahead in tech, getting riflemen fast and strength 60cities. I think a possible solution is to farm really hard on experience and take him out quickly with crossbows. All my guys are fully upgraded though :p
Or you can attempt to turtle and launch in T350 I guess but that's a snoozefest.

Edit: well maybe I'll try to continue see where it goes

Edit: The constant flow of units is too much I don't feel to continue even though I can probably survive for a while with artilleries and super gatling guns.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom