Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been stated before, but the installer I used installed it to ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.

The correct path should be ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

... so if you've got a "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder in your "Rise of Mankind" folder, move it to the "Mods" parent directory, and run the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" mod instead of the "Rise of Mankind" mod.

Edit: Also, generally a good idea to run a "play now!" game to let the mod cough up a defaults file and whatnot. Doesn't need to be anything special, could be a duel map playing as a random leader.

Nope it installed directly to the mods folder, I can't try "play now!" because the game won't even start.

I recently bought Civ IV Complete and I´m just finishing patching the games. I want to enjoy the most complete versión of Rise of Mankind: a New Dawn.

Do I need to install RoM 2.92 and then install AND 1.75, or I can directly install AND 1.75 (this file)?

Also, do I need to have Warlords patched too?

Thanks a lot!

OK, one question is AND supposed to be an application file because that what it is when I downloaded it. If I try to open it, it will install (or so that what it says it's doing) but after it's done nothing actualy installs. What do I do? I have a Vista if that is important or changes anything.

Yes, AND 1.75 is an executable (application file) because it uses an automated installer. If nothing happens after you install it, you probably installed it to the wrong directory. You can change the directory during the installation process. You'll want C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS (replace C: with the right drive letter and <Name> with your login name, of course).

Yes, AND 1.75 is an executable (application file) because it uses an automated installer. If nothing happens after you install it, you probably installed it to the wrong directory. You can change the directory during the installation process. You'll want C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS (replace C: with the right drive letter and <Name> with your login name, of course).

Yeah that's were I installed it. I don't know if this means anything but a the end of the install it says "cleaning up install". But after that it does tell me that AND has been sucessfully installed. :sad:

Did you try to load the mod inside of Civ4? Does it appear on your list of mods available? If not, it's in the wrong directory.

Did you try to load the mod inside of Civ4? Does it appear on your list of mods available? If not, it's in the wrong directory.

No, it doesn't show up but i'm pretty sure I installed it to the correct directory.:confused:

Check again. Make sure that you don't have Beyond the Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn or something similar. Only two paths will generally work.

C:\Program Files\...\Beyond the Swords\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn
C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

If it's installed to one of those two directories, it should show up on your list of mods inside BtS.

Check again. Make sure that you don't have Beyond the Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn or something similar. Only two paths will generally work.

C:\Program Files\...\Beyond the Swords\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn
C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

If it's installed to one of those two directories, it should show up on your list of mods inside BtS.

Thanks, I got it now. You were right I put in the wrong directory.
Oh, great! The mod crashed, here's the information it gave me if this helps:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.0.0.86
Application Timestamp: 467d16e8
Fault Module Name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Fault Module Version: 3.1.9.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c9eb1b5
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00087670
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: eb4b
Additional Information 2: f0ba61663ed0456e746fa8052330fe73
Additional Information 3: 1ebf
Additional Information 4: a5079e2b868eee0379c75b158b73e4bf

I now have 4GB of memory, however the game can not handle anything beyond large maps. How much GB does one need for the really big maps?

BTW, is the rumour true that Civ 4 won't run in Windows 7? Surely not!

First of all, the game Civ IV is a 32-bit game which means that it can't address more than 3GB. However if you have a 64bit OS like Win7 it can use any memory above that so it wont be compeating for memory (as much).

I play on huge maps on my XP machine, no worries. However have to have the 3GB switch on and graphic settings at the lowest level.

Civ 4 does play on Win7. I believe it is best not to install it in the "c:\Program Files\..." directory but elsewhere eg "c:\Games\...". that way you avoid all the security problems caused by the OS assuming that you and your will do things its way.

Being slightly silly:

Here is a new FAQ...
Afforess, will you or will you not have 1.76 version of RAND out any time soon?

First of all, the game Civ IV is a 32-bit game which means that it can't address more than 3GB. However if you have a 64bit OS like Win7 it can use any memory above that so it wont be compeating for memory (as much).

I play on huge maps on my XP machine, no worries. However have to have the 3GB switch on and graphic settings at the lowest level.

Actually, I think 32-bit applications are limited to 2GB of memory in Windows 7 unless you edit the binary to enable the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag. This flag lets the binary address 4GB of memory. I haven't yet needed to do it for AND, but I only play on standard-sized maps.

Civ 4 does play on Win7. I believe it is best not to install it in the "c:\Program Files\..." directory but elsewhere eg "c:\Games\...". that way you avoid all the security problems caused by the OS assuming that you and your will do things its way.

You can install Civ4 to the normal directory in Windows 7 and it will work just fine. C:\Program Files (x86)\whatever

However, you'll want to install AND to C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn. That will let you avoid any UAC troubles.

Yes, it works when I added the 3GB flag back.

After experimentation, I found I could run a gigantic map on medium graphic settings, and also with anti-aliasing maxed out to 16. Of course. I don't know if it will run the entire game with thse settings. I just did a few turns.

You won't get past the industrial age (my experience w/ 32-bit OS, 3GB switch, 4GB total RAM and a Huge Map with 8 remaining Civs). Once everyone sports an airforce (with all those unit animations), the MAFs will get you. I'll start another game now with a 64-bit OS and 8GB RAM and see how far I'll get. However, I'm a bit pessimistic. Even though BtS is apparently IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE, that's still just 4GB it can access as a native 32-bit application.

If anyone has attempted to play on a Giant or Huge Map on a 64-bit system and survived to see the Modern Age, please let me know. It'd make my game more enjoyable knowing I stand a chance to see it through...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom