Rallying call for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

Rhye, I understand completely if there are some outside life, mod, or other issues going on right now but some sort of an update on what's going on would be appreciated. Not only will us fans know whats going on but we might be able to help. Anyways, kind regards.

:bump:

Sorry. I have been busy moving to a new house/new country and I'm busy working and studying every day.
Recently I have collected city names map and integrated into the game, done some tests and have been working on the collapse code.
However, without the SDK, we won't get any far. I've heard that after July and a new patch, it could be released. Is it correct?

Sorry. I have been busy moving to a new house/new country and I'm busy working and studying every day.
Recently I have collected city names map and integrated into the game, done some tests and have been working on the collapse code.
However, without the SDK, we won't get any far. I've heard that after July and a new patch, it could be released. Is it correct?

HOORAY! I was worried that something had happened to you.

I don’t know about the Civ V DLL coming out, but I’m just glad that you’re safe.

:D:D:D

I look forward to playing this once it is released. Your Civ 4 mod was about 70% of my Civ 4 experience and i look forward to the same with this one.

*shortlyLookingAtTheEndOfTheManual*...ooohh :(.

Er...no, nothing known about that, no hints at all.

For me rhyes' and fall of civilization has always been 95% of my civ game experience. That's why i haven't played civ 5 since some months now :D !

Yea same here. Due to the lack of scenarios, notably Rhye's I haven't had
any interest in playing the game.

Though I do have a question that might've already been asked.

Rhye, What are you going to do about the many extra DLCs? Being as only 3 or so have been released as an official 'pack' there are many variations to who has which DLC.With a sizable amount of people not having any.

Or are you just going to cut them all out?

Rhye, What are you going to do about the many extra DLCs? Being as only 3 or so have been released as an official 'pack' there are many variations to who has which DLC.With a sizable amount of people not having any.

He’s making a version with the DLCs and then one without.

Though I doubt he’ll add the Polynesians.

I hope he does add it because i hate the whole area being uninhabited unless the player settles it, then it being unchallenged and uncontestedly yours unless you collapse.

i don't have DLC but i would sure like to use it if i did. That said, i also hope he makes new civ's or uses Hukkak's Extra Civ Pack or something to help but i will be happy just to play RFC again and i think civ 5 has great potential for RFC.

I often settle the pacific early as Japan, China or Khmer as a high priority just to deny euro-civ's who almost never go after it anyway - though it is fun when one euro empire sweeps the continent and another successfully settles elsewhere.

Rhye's usually tends more heavily towards the simulation of history than "equal opportunities" that's why for example the NAtive Americans were not represented in the Civ4 version and I found that very reasonable. If you take the Iroquois now, they did not have a lasting impact on "Global Empire History", but rather were pushed away rather quickly. For them to have a realistic gameplay, they'd need to spawn shortly before the English and French arrive, and then succumb to these two civs and the Americans in - I don't know - 50 turns. Plus, depending on the map, they would not have many cities. Now the question is if this is good gameplay enough to add them. An additional civ makes the game slower and it is probably the same way in civ5 ;-). The same fate btw. happened to the Sumerians, Koreans (map too small) and Zulu.

For the Polynesians, historical gameplay is difficult as they are a amalgam civ of Hawaii, Maori, Easter Island, Tonga and so on... Do you start them on Hawaii to just sit there and so the Americans can take them over quickly? Do you start them on New Zealand which is small and have them fight the British? Let them colonize Australia then -which I would do as a human player, awfully unhistorical)? In any way, they would start in the 1700 sometimes with stone age tech and face against cannon wielding Americans and British on Hawaii and elsewhere. Compared to the Americans who have a similar start date, they however have no prospect of world dominance. Their UHV would have to be awfully simple for them to achieve it which means it's just a race to take them out for the others (not a challenge). This is pretty similar to the Zulu, so what's the point?

It's all in the the question of balance betweeen simulation (historical feel) and gameplay (technical and fun factor). That said, Imo a three way split would be best, as it is probably way too complicated to make different versions for every DLC-Civ!

Classic: Includes the civs of the original release (and free ones) minus the ones that don't contribute to gameplay or historical feel (Iroquois who would hamper the rise to world power for America too much).
Empire: The way it is supposed to be played, Balance is sought for this mode. A selection of the big empires from all the DLC's available to tilt the balance towards simulation the most (so no Polynesia either).
Cultures: Includes all civs (that are possible: no sumeria AND Babylon). Intention is to offer different playstiles with f.e. the Polynesians. If it slows the game too much, minor "empire"-civs can be cut (the Zulu instead of the Dutch who colonize South Africa?).

EDIT: @ Thadian, is it rewarding to settle the jungle cities of Polynesia in Civ4 RFC? I can't imagine the benefits to be higher than the costs. Or are you speaking of Indonesia? I guess that this region would be an interesting place for a civ to oppose Siam/Khmer, as long as its eastwards and Australian expansion is cut off by Papua-New Guinea Barbarians

EDIT: @ Thadian, is it rewarding to settle the jungle cities of Polynesia in Civ4 RFC? I can't imagine the benefits to be higher than the costs. Or are you speaking of Indonesia? I guess that this region would be an interesting place for a civ to oppose Siam/Khmer, as long as its eastwards and Australian expansion is cut off by Papua-New Guinea Barbarians

Yes, Indonesia but sometimes i take hawaii itself - now im more clear on why polynesia is difficult.

Yes, those pacific islands have a lot of luxuries and about 3 big cities in the islands + 2 in asia usually keeps you strong against all fronts.

I always wished for natives in civ 4, maybe turning Iriquouis into Lakotta or Sioux or Anasazi to have a good native cultural civilization. that whole debate aside, you normally didn't pay money to buy hiawatha seperately from the other civ's so there was no real loss.

I think there is sooooo much potential in Civ 5 RFC that i want to play it quite a bit.

To answer you, i would start them in hawaii, give them X turns to build X settlements on X islands, expand the land slots of a few islands to make them a little more feasable (and to discourage auto-indonesia settlements). the second goal once "unified" would be to fend off a foreign invasion and the third - to establish a cultural point goal. to overcome their challenge in history, they would have needed to fight off a foreign invasion and develop a culture that is unappealing to foreigners while trading for secrets and technology.

In real life, they should have pulled a viking-esque stint - conquer wake island to use as waypoint to alaska to get timber during the summer months. it was a lack of protien and a lack of lumber that caused them to be disadvantaged in their growth.

Any "Survivor" scenario would have the nice feel of the inca or aztec from civ 4 RFC where you need to "overcome your historical collapse" rather than "conquer the world". i read about the polynesian culture quite a bit lately, and the building of the stone heads and while it was not a civilization, It's a culture group that behaved in a successful way for hundreds of years until they were unable to continue. when it became unsustainable, they failed to overcome adversity.

That said, ive also always favored the idea of changing a less practical civ to a more practical replacement if meritable and viable.

While these civilizations did not survive or make a mark on our age of human - or on our culture does not mean they were not important people who did wonderous things for their limitations.

I thought of going forward developing the complete version (Babylon, Mongolia, Spain, Inca, Danmark so far) and once it is settled, release a DLC-free version (with possibly a placeholder for Spain)

HOORAY! I was worried that something had happened to you.

I don’t know about the Civ V DLL coming out, but I’m just glad that you’re safe.

:D:D:D

Thank you! Actually something has happened to me. That is, you know, packing your stuff and going to live at the other side of the world is quite a big change. One of the consequences is that I have very little free time, and usually when I have that time I'm very tired. I hope that once settled completely, things will go a little better.

Thank you! Actually something has happened to me. That is, you know, packing your stuff and going to live at the other side of the world is quite a big change. One of the consequences is that I have very little free time, and usually when I have that time I'm very tired. I hope that once settled completely, things will go a little better.

Yeah, I find moving 2 KMs is hard enough! :lol:

I think that I might buy the DLCs if I can get my internet to work better by then. I would buy the DLCs, but the thing is that I have really bad internet. 6GB download limit per month. Ouch.

:D

btw the last patch has changed something and the auto-play is now broken... I hope I can fix that
ok, I think it's because the waiting unit ID has changed, I'll send you the fix when I'm back from work.

Top Bottom