News: Game of the month for Civ V - feedback appreciated

We won't be finished with training games until the staff finishes building a GotM mod. Speaking of which, I wonder how close they are to finishing it.

Not sure if this is a spot for suggestions - please move if it's not. How about start one off with the VC only specified after t100? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is a spot for suggestions - please move if it's not. How about start one off with the VC only specified after t100? :)

You mean we would have to play up to T100 without knowing the VC, which is then revealed in another thread (or trust everyone not to peek)? Interesting idea, would be fun to try I think.

You mean we would have to play up to T100 without knowing the VC, which is then revealed in another thread (or trust everyone not to peek)? Interesting idea, would be fun to try I think.

Precisely. The idea being to develop an all round approach and see what you can do if suddenly put on a different path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the GotM mod is finished some day, then stuff like this could be implemented, to create interesting situations with custom VC. E.g. in a game with 9 opponents, first capture 5 captials and then win a science victory.

Great idea, but it might make some games too hard or uncommon. If you want to mod even further, you could make custom scenario's as a GotM.

I'd like to see some Classical era starts and 200 turn time victories. The reason for 200 turns, is most VC's take at least 200 turns. The exceptions are domination and the few outstanding players on other VCs that can break the 200 turn barrier.

Classical era starts give 2 spearmen, 1 settler, 1 worker and no free buildings.

Edit: Also playing on the Tiny Islands map with sea level set to high could be good for forcing more naval warfare.

I'd like to see some Classical era starts and 200 turn time victories. The reason for 200 turns, is most VC's take at least 200 turns. The exceptions are domination and the few outstanding players on other VCs that can break the 200 turn barrier.

Classical era starts give 2 spearmen, 1 settler, 1 worker and no free buildings.

Edit: Also playing on the Tiny Islands map with sea level set to high could be good for forcing more naval warfare.

I would like to see more naval warfare, tiny islands high seas could be a good idea. Perhaps with Venice?

Open solicitation for input on an idea for GOTM. What would opinions be about policy restrictions or mandatory inclusions? This should lead to different victory paths, in the case of Diety games it might even challenge the highest level players. At this point its just an idea, but one id like to try.
Thanks for the input.
KT

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I like these ideas. It brings more variation and makes me try things i haven't before. For example, Piety (no trad/lib) Science or Autocracy Culture.

I would like to see more naval warfare, tiny islands high seas could be a good idea. Perhaps with Venice?

I tried a few games with all those settings on the Tiny Islands map with high sea level as Venice.

Open solicitation for input on an idea for GOTM. What would opinions be about policy restrictions or mandatory inclusions? This should lead to different victory paths, in the case of Diety games it might even challenge the highest level players. At this point its just an idea, but one id like to try.
Thanks for the input.
KT

Here is my idea. Standard map, 4civs, 12CS, Pangaea, raging barbs, freedom ideology mandatory, DOW forbidden unless it is to liberate CS or someone else`s capital. On finishing turn, all civs and CS must be alive. VC diplo or cultural.

I like the idea of a mandatory policy tree. For the most part I feel we as a group mostly just finish Tradition or Liberty and then Rationalism or Aesthetics depending on our victory condition.

Commerce, Exploration? I can't remember the last time I actually finished one of those policy trees. Let's hunt for those hidden sites.

Another random idea, would be a time finish but compete for something non-standard like highest happiness, most religious cities, most great works, most policies, or most wonders. (Not sure if any of that is something you can actually pull out of the save)

Final idea is to make score part of the goal victory condition. For example the winner would be the Science victory with the highest score. So we need to try and balance the turn speed with building wonders and land grabbing. Although maybe that already sort of happens by just listing both scores and turns, and people sort of compete for one or the other as is their preference.

Here is my idea. Standard map, 4civs, 12CS, Pangaea, raging barbs, freedom ideology mandatory, DOW forbidden unless it is to liberate CS or someone else`s capital. On finishing turn, all civs and CS must be alive. VC diplo or cultural.
The ideas here are interesting for a scenario, but there isn't any way to verify the DOW portion of the game :( The map settings with the number of civs would lend to large empires, which is not something that we tend to see in non Domination games.

I like the idea of a mandatory policy tree. For the most part I feel we as a group mostly just finish Tradition or Liberty and then Rationalism or Aesthetics depending on our victory condition.

Commerce, Exploration? I can't remember the last time I actually finished one of those policy trees. Let's hunt for those hidden sites.

Another random idea, would be a time finish but compete for something non-standard like highest happiness, most religious cities, most great works, most policies, or most wonders. (Not sure if any of that is something you can actually pull out of the save)

Final idea is to make score part of the goal victory condition. For example the winner would be the Science victory with the highest score. So we need to try and balance the turn speed with building wonders and land grabbing. Although maybe that already sort of happens by just listing both scores and turns, and people sort of compete for one or the other as is their preference.

Some of this can be had (happiness, policies) others I am not sure about. It would definitely change how we play the games. We have done Score as the VC before and will surely do so again. Doing that does reward building wonders, cities, founding a religion, and to a lesser extent great works. :thanx:

Actually all score does is encourage ICS style empires filling up the map while leaving 1 AI capital alive. That's why I'm generally not interested in score as VC.

Scoring is a very bad idea as there is limited strategy involved. It's only about unlimited expanding and conquering. I don't like it.

A good game is about finishing as soon as possible with the current map and conditions. Making decisions about what to build and what not. Not about building everything nonetheless.

Sent from my 2014813 using Tapatalk

All of the defined VC have limited strategies, mostly because we've had 2+ years to refine the best methods for getting the fastest results.
The score results factor in speed to the results. Listing them gives builders an option to play for, while still emphasizing speed.

As to my original question about policy inclusion or restrictions what do you think of that idea?

The ideas here are interesting for a scenario, but there isn't any way to verify the DOW portion of the game :(

I believe there is. If I am not mistaken, in replay we can see if anybody declared on somebody and notification on capital lost. Player could only declare on those who captured that capital. I am completely unsure if that applies on CS.

The map settings with the number of civs would lend to large empires, which is not something that we tend to see in non Domination games.

Hence the raging barbarians. More empty land = more barbs spawning... Try it - for fun.

Top Bottom