DLC: Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia

V. Soma

long time civ fan
As we could read it:

The map pack will let players experience the traditional Western and Middle Eastern “Cradle of Civilization.” The pack will include the Fertile Crescent with the Nile River valley to the west and extending east down the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys to the Persian Gulf. Leaders will be able to explore new terrain, cultures and conquests.

What is this eaxactly?

Just a map? Scenario? What can be new and tweaked in it?

Do I understand correctly that Babylon is not needed for this?

As I underestand it is only free if I pre-order from Steam...
Does this imply this will be otherwise a DLC for a cost?
Pfff...

I would assume it is a scenario - but I wouldn't expect it to be too ground breaking.

It's fairly standard these days to create some extra content as a preorder incentive. They probably just put together a scenario map pack for the region as a "thank you" to anyone who preorders.

Preordering on steam is cheaper than buying the game as soon as it is released so I wouldn't consider this to be anything more than a minor bit of icing on the cake.

I'm still confused on this; if Civ5 is really as moddable as Civ4, and maps and scenarios are just files/folders in easily accessible directories, what's to stop a deluxe pre-order from copy-pasting the relevant folders into another version.

I'm still confused on this; if Civ5 is really as moddable as Civ4, and maps and scenarios are just files/folders in easily accessible directories, what's to stop a deluxe pre-order from copy-pasting the relevant folders into another version.

My guess is "absolutely nothing".

Fallout 3 had pay for DLC. I bought Fallout 3 on steam but apparently the DLC is only available via the microsoft market place or something stupid. So I simply downloaded the files from a certain website, stuck them in my fallout 3 folder in steam and they just worked. I'd have bought them if they'd not made it such a pain in the ass for me, but there was no protection on the DLC content what so ever.

I assume Civ 5 is going to have a similar system. There has never been anything to stop you from copying all the mods and scenarios that come with the other Civ expansions into an old copy and just playing them either.

My guess is "absolutely nothing".

I agree. It sounds reasonable from the fact that Civ5 is supposed to be so extremely moddable.

For the deluxe edition, this just allows us to support Firaxis/2K even more, and we get all this on release :) Which is enough for me. Besides, not all people are too fond of unofficial mods. For them it is probably nice to have this choice (not everyone care about spending a few more euros).

My guess is that they would be encrypted (good example are DLCs for Bioware's Dragon Age).

Which also implies that such content would not be modable either.

For example, in case of Dragon Age, you can't legally do reskin of Helm od Honnoleth because it's encrypted item. Although unofficially, such DLC content can be decrypted and used as such with "warez" tools, no fan site would accept such mod.

I ordered through Amazon and got this email so I wait for delivery!

This code will give you access to the "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack"

How to Use Your Code:
Step 1: After installing "Sid Meier's Civilization V," launch the Steam client.
Step 2: Go to the Games Menu to "Activate a Product on Steam"
Step 3: Enter the bonus code found above. Please note that the bonus code is case sensitive and must be entered exactly.
Step 4: Once the key is redeemed, you can download the pack.

Note: each claim code is unique and can't be shared.

once you activate it... where is the download option? I am having trouble downloading it on step 4... where do i download it?

If you activate the key on Steam, it should automatically download while you're on Steam and connected to the Internet - I think. It would just be like patching a Steam game (as far as downloading is concerned).

once you activate it... where is the download option? I am having trouble downloading it on step 4... where do i download it?

I didn't get one.

I'm assuming once it's available, it automatically shows an update or something is available.

Or this could just be one big clusterfack.

Just a map?
Yes :)
Does this imply this will be otherwise a DLC for a cost?
Yes, it said so on the Civ-website that these maps will become available as DLC. Cant find it anymore because the pre-order page is gone.

But why not try Dales maps of the world, it's free and it's the same?

I didn't get one.
You sure?
In Steam you can right-click the game and choose "view downloadable content" to see if you got it.
(In the game you can find it under maps, ofcourse, but you already looked there, right?)

Oh, and without saying: It's a pre-order bonus.

I have followed all those steps above and do not see any Cradle of Civ map; there's a map of Asia, but it's of SE Asia.

I have followed all those steps above and do not see any Cradle of Civ map; there's a map of Asia, but it's of SE Asia.

It doesnt say 'cradle of ....' in the game, it wil just say 'Mesopotamia' or Asia'.

I have both because I seemed to have placed an extra order somewhere and forgot to cancel it. I used the pre order map code, and am returning the sealed unopened game.

I have this DLC, as far as i can see it's a map. Start an advanced settings game and there is a map called Asia. TBH i think it's completely lame and very disapointing - all the hype and no cigar.

The instructions from amazon are usless.

what's to stop a deluxe pre-order from copy-pasting the relevant folders into another version.

What's to stop you from downloading ripped movies and music? It's not quite the same since it sounds like Steam is not making any efforts to write protect and verify content. But still, if you are willing to download DLCs rather than pay for it where would you draw the line?

Not calling you out... heck I've downloaded content before and used cracked software. Just pointing out that we have that option with many things today. Just because people CAN do that does not mean they will. And who knows... maybe Firax, Steam, or whoever actually figured out a way to protect their DLCs somehow.

Top Bottom