College Football In Season Thread

Yea, all the BCS bowls were pretty entertaining this year, even the sucky ones. Glad the college season is over though so I can pay proper attention to the NBA and college hoops.

[20:44] <@kraznaya> question
[20:44] <@kraznaya> who was the best qb that bama beat this saeson
[20:44] <@azale> lol
[20:44] <@azale> tyler wilson
[20:44] <@azale> of arkansas
[20:44] <@kraznaya> lol
[20:44] <@azale> after that
[20:44] <@azale> uhh

Well, I guess this game solved the split championship debate.

Yeah, I'd still like to see LSU get some recognition for their historic performance in the regular season, but I'm not sure that enough AP voters will be able to keep them at #1 after getting dominated that way tonight by our defense. Clearly, knowing Jefferson would start makes preparation a good bit easier.

Still, we didn't win our division, let alone the SEC, so it's not really a satisfying season even with the national title. Nice to get past unlucky #13 though . . .

you're right, cowboys #1

A championship caliber team doesn't miss PaTs. OSU#1.

Oh, c'mon y'all. I know it's been six straight, but don't start relegating all the other conferences to a lower division with their own champion just yet. They will come back and field competitive teams again one day, maybe even next year. The SEC will eventually lose a national championship to someone other than itself again, I promise . . .

Congrats to the 2011 National Champion Oklahoma State Cowboys!

What a run!

LSU's accomplishments during the regular season were better, of course, but no one can ignore the embarassing Zereaux-21 game they played tonight. Alabama ended the season as the better team, clearly, which should play the biggest factor in voting. Heck, I might even rank OSU over LSU now.

Oh, c'mon y'all. I know it's been six straight, but don't start relegating all the other conferences to a lower division with their own champion just yet. They will come back and field competitive teams again one day, maybe even next year. The SEC will eventually lose a national championship to someone other than itself again, I promise . . .

What? The lower division to which you refer was won by West Virginia on January 4th!

LSU's accomplishments during the regular season were better, of course, but no one can ignore the embarassing Zereaux-21 game they played tonight. Alabama ended the season as the better team, clearly, which should play the biggest factor in voting. Heck, I might even rank OSU over LSU now.
Yeah, but we get our recognition with the BCS title.

I'd like to see LSU get something for not only being the only team to beat all comers in the regular season, but for doing so against the murderer's row of teams they scheduled. I agree it's tough to ignore tonight's debacle, but looking at the whole 'body of work', LSU's resume is still arguably better than -- or at least as good as -- Alabama's . . .

EDIT:

Defensive starting lineups:

Alabama:

DE 54 Jesse Williams
NG 99 Josh Chapman
DE 92 Damion Square
SLB 5 Jerrell Harris
MLB 30 D. Hightower
WLB 35 Nico Johnson
JACK 41 Courtney Upshaw
CB 24 DeQuan Menzie
CB 21 Dre Kirkpatrick
SS 37 Robert Lester
FS 4 Marquis Maze

LSU:

DE 94 Kendrick Adams
LT 90 Mi. Brockers
RT 93 Bennie Logan
DE 49 Bark. Mingo
SLB 23 S. Francois
MLB 46 Kevin Minter
WLB 22 Ryan Baker
CB 17 Mo. Claiborne
CB 7 Tyrann Mathieu
SS 18 Brandon Taylor
FS 1 Eric Reid

It will be interesting to see if any of those players don't at least make an NFL camp, if not a roster. Certainly not the best two defenses in football history by any measure (Alabama's '09 -- and '10 -- squads were probably better than this year's), but these may have been the two most talented defenses to ever face off in the same game, and we got to see it twice. Truly a great year for college football . . .

Sorry, they proved it out on the field. Andrew Luck gave them a good run, but it's pretty obvious the Cowboys were a superior team.

True, but Stanford didn't win their division, so that half of the playoff bracket is void. We won't know the true champion until we get the winner of that Okie State/LSU game . . .

I'd be interested if they made the worst two teams in the nation play for the "toilet bowl" and the loser gets flushed. That would be exciting.

I would also be excited for a game where the college all-stars play the worst NFL team that year.

I'd be interested if they made the worst two teams in the nation play for the "toilet bowl" and the loser gets flushed. That would be exciting.
One of my college football fantasies -- of which I have many, I swear, if they'd just let me take over and give me absolute power . . . -- is breaking the sport down into 8 conferences, two in each region and instituting a promotion/relegation system between the two conferences in each region. Only teams in the upper conferences would be eligible for the national title.

I would also be excited for a game where the college all-stars play the worst NFL team that year.
They actually tried that a couple of times many many years ago. It did not go well. Putting professionals up against people who aren't allowed to practice more than 4 hours a day or 20 hours a week just does not end well . . .

Top Bottom