Please Read: Welcome to the Civ-V GOTM

Yes, and no.

The games prior to TSG8 were all attached in player posts in the After Action Report threads. I'm not sure they will run under the current patch, but it may be worth a try. I'm not sure if saves uploaded to the submission system can be made available, I'll have to leave that for Alan to answer. :dunno:

You could browse back through the Game in Progress and After Action threads to see what players posted and their discussions. These are more valuable than a victory save imho as they explain, in many cases, what was done to achieve the result, not just showing the result. You may also ask questions and many layers will answer, if they can remember that far back.

Participation in the various threads, with the give and take of the various players, will help you as we move into the future. We will continue to rotate victory condition and playable civ for you to use various traits as well as unique units and buildings.

The tables of results include download links to the saved games in the Base Score column.

I don't think there's any way currently to view a replay of a game. It's on my to-do list, but without some clues from Firaxis about the save file format, it's a non-trivial task. I *might* make it possible to view a text-only event log for each game.

I don't think there's any way currently to view a replay of a game. It's on my to-do list, but without some clues from Firaxis about the save file format, it's a non-trivial task. I *might* make it possible to view a text-only event log for each game.
Civ5 does actually create separate replay files when you finish a game. The good news is that there are 3rd-party tools which will read these files and turn them into a viewable replay; the bad news is that the information stored in the replays is incomplete so it's only partially useful. All the replay viewers have pinned threads in the Strategy and Tips forum.

We don't ask players to upload the replay file. A few do attach them to their posts.

MmMmMmMm, so my roommate played 17 on my computer. Am I gonna get flagged for reloading now if I play it fresh on the same machine? 'Cause that would kind of suck.

Yes, I'm afraid so. If the game is played twice on the same machine, we can't tell whether the second attempt was played independently. It may have been played by the same person, or with knowledge gained from the first player's game.

Or don't let your roommate play the GotM on your computer.

You can still play, and post in the spoiler threads, just not submit. I have the same situation of two people (sometimes three, even) playing the game on one computer.

Yes, I'm afraid so. If the game is played twice on the same machine, we can't tell whether the second attempt was played independently. It may have been played by the same person, or with knowledge gained from the first player's game.

I should have said that this will only apply if and when we run a proper competition. Currently, we are running these training games completely on an honour basis, as we have no mod, and therefore no way to monitor playing activity.

The tables of results include download links to the saved games in the Base Score column.

[UPDATE]
The Results tables now include a link to allow you to see the text event log for any submission.

I also posted a trial version of a GOTM Replay facility a little while ago. See this thread

From someone who plays a lot of games but doesnt know much about how computer work. Is there a thread for the simple mechanics opening downloaded GOM? I download the start from this site, then have to open it. How? The civ 5 icon on my desktop is just a shortcut to Steam. If I try to open it with Steam - nothing happens. Went on line and opened downloaded "back up files" from Steam site but none of them seem to open the start. Where is the file/how do I obtain the file to open GOM. Thanks

Welcome to CivFanatics and GoTM. :wavey:

When you click on the link to the save in the thread, you should select where you save it. You should find a folder in your "My Documents" folder named "My Games". Within MY Game, the location you are looking for is:
D:\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single\

My "My Documents" folder is on my D:\ drive, yours may be on your C:\.

Once the save game file is saved in this folder, you start Civ5 and click on Single Player and then Load Game. You should find the save file listed, click on it and load the game. You should be able to play it now.

Hope this helped. Good Luck. :)

When you click on the link to the save in the thread, you should select where you save it. You should find a folder in your "My Documents" folder named "My Games". Within MY Game, the location you are looking for is:
D:\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single\

It depends on your web browser, but you may need to right click the link to the save and select something like "Download linked file", or "Save target as ..." to get the Save As ... screen.

In contrast to earlier Civilization editions, clicking on a savefile will start Civ5, but not actually load anything. You can only load a save from inside Civ5.

Noob question.

Was going to play my first GOTM today, game 18, however, I distinctly remember a page that described a multiple save rule.

Was I just dreaming? Has it changed? If it hasn't could someone link it to be as I can't find it anywhere?

Do you just have to upload the final save using the Civ 5 save form?

Tad confused. :confused::confused::confused:

The basic rules are at the beginning of this thread, first post.

The Announcement page of each game also provides info on rules, but also links to this thread.

You may make intermediate saves as you play. We only ask that you do not reload from a previous save and replay some parts, or all, of the game. That would provide prior map knowledge and give and unfair advantage.

The only submission you need make is the final save after your victory or defeat, unless you lose by conquest, then the turn before your defeat. The autosave interval should be set to 1, this can be done in the option menu in game.

Hope I answered your questions. Good Luck. :)

Absolutely perfect, thanks for the quick response...

Understand the rules well enough, I was just convinced that there was a requirement for multiple saves.

Looking forward to the challenge. :)

Thanks again.

Top Bottom