Please Read: Welcome to the Civ-V GOTM

Hi Becomedeath,
You're probably mixing up the GOTM submission reqs and the HOF submission reqs. HOF submission requires four save files.

Hi guys, if I try to open the CIV5 25th GOTM save file to start playing, I get some "runtime error".
Any idea what it can be?
I can't be more specific at the time cause i'm at work and guess what: We're not allowed to play Civ5 here :)

I'm patched to 383, have all the DLCs installed and all Mods disabled..

If my game crashes and I have to load autosave, will it appear as if I had replayed a turn? I'm asking because this is a frequent occurrence with me, and I don't want to have my results discarded because of it.

We do not disqualify games for crashes. When one happens, all that you need to do is note the game date that it occurs and let me know via Private Message (PM), so that when we collate the results, we can take that into account.

You should have your autosave interval set to 1 turn.

I think someone brought this up before, however, since we are running GotM using G&K I think this should be added to the rules.

In G&K you have to complete the Rationalism tree to get the 2 free techs. However, once you've done so, if you use your next policy to switch to the Piety tree, you'll go into anarchy for 1 turn. On the following turn you can switch back to Rationalism and gain another 2 free techs immediately and have 1 more turn of anarchy. So, if you beeline to the Renaissance while producing as little culture as possible you can then max out your CPT and you'll complete the Rationalism tree fairly quickly, open Piety and start ripping through the tech tree while maintaining very low BPT and not spending any cash on RA's.

During anarchy you don't collect any production, science or gold. However, you do still collect GA happiness, culture, faith and great people points. So you could keep alternating between Piety and Rationalism gaining 2 free techs every other turn until you pop a golden age.

To sum up, I believe this exploit would be far worse than the Oxford University exploit that's already banned.

I think someone brought this up before, however, since we are running GotM using G&K I think this should be added to the rules.

In G&K you have to complete the Rationalism tree to get the 2 free techs. However, once you've done so, if you use your next policy to switch to the Piety tree, you'll go into anarchy for 1 turn. On the following turn you can switch back to Rationalism and gain another 2 free techs immediately and have 1 more turn of anarchy. So, if you beeline to the Renaissance while producing as little culture as possible you can then max out your CPT and you'll complete the Rationalism tree fairly quickly, open Piety and start ripping through the tech tree while maintaining very low BPT and not spending any cash on RA's.

During anarchy you don't collect any production, science or gold. However, you do still collect GA happiness, culture, faith and great people points. So you could keep alternating between Piety and Rationalism gaining 2 free techs every other turn until you pop a golden age.

To sum up, I believe this exploit would be far worse than the Oxford University exploit that's already banned.

How does this exploit even exist?!

Inadequate testing when they changed the policies for G&K?

will this be something that can be seen in game files? recognized on submissions?

When you load the saved game if you see this in the social policies, that's one clue they may have used the exploit. Notice how the Rationalism tree is completed and Piety tree opener no longer says "Adopt" and the background is brighter than the Honor and Freedom trees?
Spoiler :

If you see that, check the notification log for more than one turn where it says, "You have completed Rationalism! Choose a free technology ..." As you can see here, I got those on turn 163 and 165 during my testing of this.
Spoiler :

I don't know how these things would look to the saved game parser, but perhaps with knowing what to look for ya'll can teach the parser to find them.

Attachments

• social policy clue - rationalism exploit.jpg
    social policy clue - rationalism exploit.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 873
  • notification log - Rationalism exploit.jpg
    notification log - Rationalism exploit.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 877
will this be something that can be seen in game files? recognized on submissions?

I don't know how these things would look to the saved game parser, but perhaps with knowing what to look for ya'll can teach the parser to find them.
We're looking into this in staff.

In future, please use only the spoiler threads to discuss your game during the time the game is active. Please do not post anything elsewhere on the site until the results for a game are published.

:thanx:

In the HoF forums part of the rules states..
Examples of tactics used:
  • Repeatedly selling a resource (luxury, strategic, etc.) and pillaging or allowing Barbarians or other civs to pillage the resource or trade route to break the deal.
  • Repeatedly selling a resource (luxury, strategic, etc.) and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war that breaks the deal. (i.e. a phony war just to break the deal.)
  • Repeatedly selling Gold per Turn (GPT) and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war that breaks the deal. (i.e. a phony war just to break the deal.)
  • Repeatedly selling Cities and declaring war or otherwise bringing about a war so you can take them back. (i.e. low risk, low cost war just retrieve the cities for resale to another civ.)

Why aren't these included in the GotM rules?

Why aren't these included in the GotM rules?

to save some the time of clicking and reading the forum links i'll try to summarize.

mostly because they arent enforceable and wont be until the dll is released. the honor system is what gotm operates on and as such cant be REALLY competitive so it remains a training series.

That second link states
The bottom line is that we are in sync with the current HoF rules.

However, without a mod, this really is not a competition as nothing is enforceable. We describe what we are trying to achieve in the TSG series of games in this thread.

Hopefully, as Civ5 matures, we can do a better job of defining rules and hosting a "real" competition.

edit - Also thought I should add that we should be pushing the software some to see if we can discover where there are exploits. When we create the mod, we can often correct exploits to some degree. No mod though until the .dll file contents are released.

To me that reads as we are following all the HoF rules. However, since none of it can be enforced without a mod, those who exploit the AI the best will always be on top, while those of us who actually try to follow the rules will never be on top.

You could just play for fun and ignore the results of those who play to make a mockery of the game. There are no real awards or anything, so does it really matter?

As far as I know, this is about one participant. Everybody else seems to follow the HOF-rules, so the fact that they can't be enforced doesn't matter all that much.

Top Bottom