Open borders in BNW

Quintrix

Chieftain
Hi,

Are there some new considerations with open borders in BNW.
I usually just reject them, but mostly because I do not want all
the other units all over my land.

Quintrix

dont forget religion, too. OB makes it easier for missionaries to creep in and spread it like butter.

Reasons you want OB from someone (and reasons not to give it)

Archeologists can swipe artifacts with an OB
Tourism gets a 25% bonus
Great Musicians can concert tour

These, but also:
- you can explore their lands and thus learn the locations of their cities for trading
- you can spread your religion to them without missionary attrition

These, but also:
- you can explore their lands and thus learn the locations of their cities for trading
- you can spread your religion to them without missionary attrition

well religion was in G+K.. but you are right about trade routes too.

dont forget religion, too. OB makes it easier for missionaries to creep in and spread it like butter.

Why easier? Do they not get attrition with Open Borders?

Why easier? Do they not get attrition with Open Borders?

No they don't - attrition penalty is called "Unwelcome evangelist" and with open borders, they're welcome at least in principle!

Note that for all the above you just need their open borders. If those civs are harmless (i.e. they aren't cultural or religious behemoths, they aren't ruthless expansionist trying to slip through your borders to settle on unclaimed lands on your side) then you can safely trade open borders and save money. Or actually get a few money if you are desperate for cash early on.

But if they aren't harmless, then just pay for their open borders and never give them yours. Even if they are your best friends, don't do that.

I really hate that their units block my workers from walking around on my own damn roads. That's why I always reject it unless I also want to run around in their territory.

Top Bottom