Startup loading screen crash after installing BNW

Zero3

Chieftain
Hi there

I just activated BNW on Steam, let it install, and the game is now broken :c5unhappy:. It simply crashes to desktop during the loading screen before the main menu. Everything worked perfectly before getting the Brave New World DLC.

What I tried so far:
- Both DX9 and DX11
- Moved "...\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5" away
- Looked for anything interesting in the logs (nothing as far as I can tell)
- Looked for .mdmp file in the civ 5 install folder (none found) (I might have disabled that in Windows earlier?)
- Rebooting

Any clues? Anything I can do to help debugging?

Fixed it! I verified the game cache in Steam, and now it works. Weird. I'll leave this topic in case anyone else runs into the same issue :).

Wow I've had this bug for several times,every time ended up with reinstalling the whole game,but using this method I saved up a lot of time and it works perfect!Thanks so much!

Ok I've had this game 3 years now, over 2500 hours played, never had this problem until now. However, no matter what I do i can't fix it. I have tried:

Verifying cache (it keeps downloading 9.2 mb every time).

Changing config file to lowest res and windowed.

A fresh download and install.

All of the above was done with firewall disabled, and my anti-virus disabled. However I do believe that Norton is the problem (had it for 3 months, it's the only thing new with my cpu and now civ is not working). Also it crashes on both dx 9 and dx 11 startup.

Any ideas?

You most likely need to manually delete all files that civ created. You'll find them in your documents on your system drive AND in steam installation folder. This is most likely caused by something erroneously generated that is now grinding gears of the game.

So, uninstall the game, manually delete everything, reinstall and check if it works. I had similar problem after a completely petty hardware change.

If this doesn't work, you can add one step to the routine: manually purging all civ-related entries from system registry.

Top Bottom