News: TSG2 Announcement

I don't know, there seems to be no real urgency. Science goes a lot faster than builds early on, and the marble tile makes for a poorer capital in the long run (more worthless ocean tiles).
In this particular case - not worth it, but there might be a situation where settling on marble is ok.

As for settling on hill, it seems that the capital will never be your best builder in this patch, as it does not get the Railroad +50% bonus to hammers - better make it GPFarm with food from maritime CS.

I don't know, there seems to be no real urgency. Science goes a lot faster than builds early on, and the marble tile makes for a poorer capital in the long run (more worthless ocean tiles).

So since we are trying for a science victory, and we will need to get masonry at some point to achieve a science victory. It seems to me that it makes more sense to build in place, and research mining->masonry.

As for settling on hill, it seems that the capital will never be your best builder in this patch, as it does not get the Railroad +50% bonus to hammers - better make it GPFarm with food from maritime CS.
Good point. I might settle in place after all, rather than lose a turn by going 2 north.

Let's see if my below-minimum-spec CPU can handle a Standard map. I shudder to think what the load times will be, especially late game. Still, I shall soldier on, so far I'm liking Civ V far more than I did Civ IV, time to start saving for a new MoBo&CPU....

So do we actually have a month to do this one? Last one was just 2 weeks, I missed it.

So do we actually have a month to do this one? Last one was just 2 weeks, I missed it.
You can still play the game any time and compare your results to those who have posted already. Please have a look at this post, which explains what we are trying to do for Civ5.

As players want to play the game, we are trying to maintain a two-week cycle to provide enough different experiences to keep things interesting. We hope that you not only enjoy the games, but also learning with a community of fellow CivFanatics. :)

From my understanding despite being called Game of the Month, it's a bi-monthly thing.

This is not the real thing. It's just practice. Once we have worked out the mechanics of submissions, scoring, ranking etc. we'll probably set up a monthly competition. But for now you are hopefully learning a few things for yourselves, and helping us to work out what this game can do, and having some fun.

In any case, "Game of the Month" shouldn't be taken too literally. It is a brand that we use to cover a variety of competitions. We have a Civ4 Succession GOTM that has been known to run for six months in the past, and the current game is scheduled to run for three months, until December.

All units have a base 2 moves, so you can move and still settle the first turn
If you do 1 move and settle then:
a. if you go north - you will settle either on Marble (not good for space run, as was mentioned above) or far from coast (you will lose an access to pearls - yet worst thing);
b. if you go south ... probably it is a really good option... but you will need to wait till marble will be cover by culture... don't know what is the best choice...

Isn't it a problem that we lost access to cows?

I have tried this map with two different strategies but failed both times. Going to attempt another run, I think I got it now.

Would this count as a replay and thus non-qualified?

I have tried this map with two different strategies but failed both times. Going to attempt another run, I think I got it now.

Would this count as a replay and thus non-qualified?
Yes, it would count as replayed and non-qualified. However, we encourage you to try again and post your strategy, explaining why it worked where the others failed.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

6) Don't attack any City States. The AI will hate you for a long time. The diplo penalty for attacking even a single city state is not something to be trifled with if you want a fast finish. I trifled, and it cost me more heartache than it was worth.
In my experience this is not true on King... You can conquer a CS and still ally other normally. You only get problems if you declare war on 2 CS.

[edited]

Announcement threads are for posting before you open the game, no spoilers allowed. This is particularly important once competition begins. Please discuss your games in the spoiler threads only. :thanx:

Top Bottom