re-naming

Jeff1787

Sarge
Can units be re-named?

Can puppet cities be re-named?

Units can be renamed upon earning a promotion, I believe all cities you own can be renamed by clicking a tooltip in the city view screen right next to the name of the city on the top.

Only cities that are under your full control can be renamed. So puppets can't. Which is a shame, really. Venice, for instance, is never going to be able to rename is purchased cities.

Only cities that are under your full control can be renamed. So puppets can't. Which is a shame, really. Venice, for instance, is never going to be able to rename is purchased cities.

good thing too, they're powerful enough as is

Can City-States be renamed anyway? It would make sense for them (as well as original capitals of various nations) to be locked in their original name.

Can City-States be renamed anyway? It would make sense for them (as well as original capitals of various nations) to be locked in their original name.

I'm almost sure they can be. Enemy capitals I'm 100% sure can be, and I'm about 90% sure I've renamed a city state before

Unless they changed it for BNW (which seems unlikely), you certainly can rename puppets, regardless of whether they started as capitals/city states. Why shouldn't you be able to? It has zero effect.

Unless they changed it for BNW (which seems unlikely), you certainly can rename puppets, regardless of whether they started as capitals/city states. Why shouldn't you be able to? It has zero effect.

Zero effect? No, no. It certainly has effect. Imagine taking over a City-State and being asked if you wanted to liberate it. Someone has changed the name of the City-State to, say, Jerusalem. "Yay, a religious CS, why not" you think, and when you liberate it it actually turns out to be a militaristic one renamed by some prankster. There's a world of difference.

Also, renaming can be used to obscure things like "who owned the city first" and most of all, "which one of these cities is actually the original capital I need to take?" Consider taking Palenque from the Huns only to realize it's actually another city renamed and the "true" Palenque is somewhere else...

Zero effect? No, no. It certainly has effect. Imagine taking over a City-State and being asked if you wanted to liberate it. Someone has changed the name of the City-State to, say, Jerusalem. "Yay, a religious CS, why not" you think, and when you liberate it it actually turns out to be a militaristic one renamed by some prankster. There's a world of difference.

Also, renaming can be used to obscure things like "who owned the city first" and most of all, "which one of these cities is actually the original capital I need to take?" Consider taking Palenque from the Huns only to realize it's actually another city renamed and the "true" Palenque is somewhere else...

Venice's and Austria's cities are purged of their City State, they are COMPLETELY removed from the city and upon capture are nothing more than another a second and third city for them.

Furthermore, Austria can also conquer and absorb cities and annex them, AND rename them, so you still have that effect present. Same with other nations who conquer City States. So yea, renaming has a zero effect, because each conquered city state can be liberate dand you know you can liberate because their banner is given their former icon on the left side between Population and Name on the city banner.

Units can be renamed upon earning a promotion, I believe all cities you own can be renamed by clicking a tooltip in the city view screen right next to the name of the city on the top.

I never knew about the unit re-naming thing. Good thing too, since I've been meaning to give some of my units special names or at least distinguish them in some way. As for renaming a puppet, I'm pretty sure that's possible. I know that in some of my games, I like to rename the cities within my empire. I think that I have been able to rename a puppet by going into view city and clicking 'edit' underneath the namebar.

renaming units I find especially useful with regard to privateers, ironclads, etc. so when they're upgraded to destroyers I can tell at a glance which ones have the capture ships potential Of course, I can usually tell from the upgrades I've given them, but sometimes, especially with previously captured ones, it's harder to tell.

Unless you have a different game than me I can confirm that as of two weeks ago, puppet capitals could not be renamed until annexed

Top Bottom