What you think about Byzantine?

Also, their UA should allow them to always found a religion, even if the 5/6/however many have already been founded. If they simply get more faith, then they have an advantage over the Celts etc; but with this, they aren't guaranteed to get the belief of their choice if the Celts or Ethiopia are in the game.

This sounds like a reasonable buff to me.

Byzantium has to be one of my favourite civs and I think they're fine as they are. Religious beliefs are very powerful so having an extra one is a significant advantage.

Unique ability: Incredible versatility. Because you get to pick so many beliefs, you are guaranteed to be able to configure your civ in a way that will benefit you a great deal. Whether you go tall, wide, plan for conquest, culture or whatever else, you get to form your civ in a way that precisely suits the situation at hand and gives you a significant advantage. The only things that could possibly go wrong is failing to found a religion and, to a lesser degree, having these early founders pick the beliefs you needed. Still, all it takes is to make a slight effort at focusing on founding a religion. It isn't reasonable to expect not to be able to found one since the majority of players will be able to found a religion, so with this slight effort you'll definitely be a founder. Maybe on Deity you're harder pressed to found one, but the game isn't - and shouldn't be - balanced around Deity's cheat difficulty.

Cataphract: A superpowered horse unit that can fortify and has a reduced penalty vs cities. This is a crazy good unique unit.

Dromon: Probably an even better unique unit than the mighty Cataphract. Byzantium will have an enormous advantage in any pre-medieval naval encounters.

Top Bottom