Can you covert Holy Cities

rltmd317

Chieftain
I captured a holy city and would to convert it to my religion but it doesn't seem possible. I don't want to waste all my religion trying to covert it if not possible. Thanks

Send an Inquisitor in first. He can kill off all of the other religion. After you have used the Inquisitor, the city will no longer be a holy city.

What Calouste said is true. The Holy City generates extra pressure towards itself only, so it's going to recover its faith fairly quickly. You can convert them temporarily with a Great Prophet, but only an inquisitor can extinguish the city's status as a holy city. Once that's done, the city will no longer have special internal pressure and can be converted with ease.

Really? Guess i gotta test that as until now I was pretty sure a Great Prophet does exactly the same as an Inquisitor (plus then also adding it's own religion).

At least with a GPr too the Holy City status will not be displayed for some turns too, but as they already said, it recovers kinda quickly unless you have like > 50 pressure in which case it will never recover.

You need to waste all of his Religious in one turn, included surrounding city too.

If there are still city with his Religious around, his Holy City will eventually revive.

Not impossible - but hard.

You have to convert all surrounding cities with your religion, thereby eliminating pressure from those on the enemy holy city, and the send a great prophet to convert it. Thereby the internal pressure isn't strong enough to take over Again.

With religious texts and enough surrounding cities with you religion as a majority religion you can sometimes rely on the massive pressure each city exerts on each other to keep a foreign holy city following your religion. This requires you to have enhanced your religion, built Great Mosque of D...., Brodobur, Hagia Sofia before anyone on your continent has founded a religion.Even after they found their relgion the pressure from yours will be too much and you won't have suffered any negative diplo penalties.

I always pick cathedrals for the GWA slot, it seems the AI likes this so tends to use it's faith to purchase cathedrals in all it's cites rather than generate a great prophet. If that happen you might get away with making your religion the world religion on the first WC vote.

So basically it is impossible to convert a Civ into your religion if they have a holy city of their own. That sucks :(

Be aware that you can convert whole civs, but it's hard, and if you succeed, they will probably DoW you.

just raze down all of his surrounding city if you're not interest to grab them or just capture them all included his Capital and then buy Inquisitor from your own city (not the city that you captured)
send them in and it will be gone for good.

Top Bottom