Brave New World reviews

http://games.on.net/2013/07/civilization-v-brave-new-world-reviewed-finally-the-system-works/

Good:

Cultural Victory requires actual strategy
AI quality now finally the way it should be
Diplomacy is now required, rather than an optional extra
World Congress + Multiplayer = Hilarity

Bad:

Performance is much better but still lags in some cases
Very few changes outside of Culture and Diplomacy

(It seems like most of the reviewers are very fond of Venice)
Reading that review it just struck me how natural the 1upt now feels. I cannot even imagine anymore what Civ4 was like with its unit stacks.

OT (well... OT OT :p) spoilered:
Spoiler :

So, is there any chance you've seen a psychiatrist about that probable narcissistic/antisocial personality disorder? Humans aren't that far from AIs if you think about it - just a set of pre-programmed responses based on past experience and hardware; they're only fickle if you're looking at them the way you do CiV's AI: how well they work towards achieving YOUR goals. The default state is going to be working towards their own goals, so you just need to find one whose goals naturally mesh with yours in a mutually beneficial relationship - and realize that this will only be as reliable as long as the relationship remains mutually beneficial;
That is exactly how it was. Once our friendship ceased being mutually beneficial, I terminated it. To much grief on my friend's part, who still enjoyed his benefits. Therefore I choose not to make any more friends: to avoid hurting more folks, as interests inevitably shift and I'd have to get rid of them at some point. A narcissist presumably wouldn't have such objections. I don't know if there is a name for folks like me, and frankly if there is I don't want to know it. There's enough labels in the world as it is.

Now a friend who does my bidding and adapts to my quirks will not need to be abandoned, so they cannot get hurt. Simple logic. But anyway such persons do not exist -- or if they do, they're not worth befriending due to their sniveling maggothood. :lol: Until androids become available, I'm in a bit of a rut here it seems.

CiV can only have one winner, so at the end of the day it would be silly for an AI not to turn on you eventually. This was the problem with Civ IV - the AI was too friendly and let you walk away with victory.
I don't really care that much about 'victory' in Civ. Well -- I do aim generally towards it and I'm mad if I lose to the AI, but it's not the be-all and end-all for me like for some folks. I'm more of a role-player and just want to build up an empire and be immersed in the experience. To pick Autocracy as Germany and build up Welthauptstadt Germania, roaming the continents for other people's artifacts; to found colonies in all the right spots as England on the Earth-map; etc. A 'victory' for me is simply a trophy above the fire-place, meaningless in itself; what really counts is the memory of attaining said trophy. Such role-playing is generally inefficient in mp, which is one big reason for my reluctance to try it.

I greatly preferred the Civ IV AI due to its more predictable nature: only a select few civs would backstab you when you were Friendly, and the modifiers to relations were easy to understand and accumulate. If it was easier, well, I hardly noticed it. I played on Immortal in Civ IV and also in Civ V and there's not that much difference. I suppose the easiness of the diplomacy was counter-acted by the fact that the AI was an actual threat in combat due to stacking (if they brought big enough stacks to bear and had a tech advantage). So the Civ IV AI was like a tame Kodiak bear and the Civ V one like a rabid kitten. :lol:

http://games.on.net/2013/07/civilization-v-brave-new-world-reviewed-finally-the-system-works/

Good:

Cultural Victory requires actual strategy
AI quality now finally the way it should be
Diplomacy is now required, rather than an optional extra
World Congress + Multiplayer = Hilarity

Bad:

Performance is much better but still lags in some cases
Very few changes outside of Culture and Diplomacy

(It seems like most of the reviewers are very fond of Venice)

Trade routes is a pretty big change that they missed.

Not sure if this has been posted already but here's another review:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/08/civilization-v-brave-new-world-review/

Critiques divided into three separate sections:

"Conclusion:

The first 100 turns or so of a Civ V game hold that magic of the better prequels in this series — so full of exploration, discovery, mystery, and chance. It doesn’t hurt that the animations are beautiful and the attention to detail gorgeous; at times, I’d start a war just to see rockets fly or swords clash.

But as the game progresses, it quickly devolves into the same cycle of rote resource accumulation of filling culture and gold and science and tourism and faith and happiness buckets. That’d be all right if their buildup wasn’t a surefire thing you could depend upon. Sometimes Civ V feels like it’s on autopilot, which isn’t the hallmark of a strategy game worth your time."

Score: 50/100

Not sure if this has been posted already but here's another review:

Score: 50/100

Same reviewer gave Gods & Kings a 65/100.
So it's quite clear he really doesn't like Civ 5 in general.
Won't argue with his opinion, just wanted to add a reference point to that review =)

I have to really question whether the reviewers have the understanding that, say, MadDjinn does about the game, since MD has repeatedly pointed to the ideologies as where you really tailor what you do to the endgame.

I am very much interested in more details on the first critique.

I’m convinced now that not even Firaxis (this being the studio’s second attempt) can correct the mistake of using happiness as the only growth limiter. It’s just far too easy to keep your nation content, and thus, it’s again always in your interest to spam as many cities as possible.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/08/civilization-v-brave-new-world-review/#ElApGgFBSsCeamA4.99

I find it hard to believe (or take seriously) anyone who says it's 'always in your interest' to do ICS. Maybe that's the way he plays, but considering the number of discussions here where that is actively derailed or derided, it's hard to take them seriously.

As MonorailCat says, it's clear that he doesn't like CiV. It's more data.

Same reviewer gave Gods & Kings a 65/100.
So it's quite clear he really doesn't like Civ 5 in general.
Won't argue with his opinion, just wanted to add a reference point to that review =)

He does, indeed, just seem to not like Civ V in general. I'm not sure what kind of Civ game he wants, since the basic idea of "filling up buckets" (as he calls it) is fundamental to all Civ games.

I have to really question whether the reviewers have the understanding that, say, MadDjinn does about the game, since MD has repeatedly pointed to the ideologies as where you really tailor what you do to the endgame.

I am very much interested in more details on the first critique.
I guess it's the typical "reviewer plays on Chieftain and wins handily so everything is inconsequential" ..

Settings should not matter.If money is too easy it ruins game choices.Day1 patch hopefully sorts it.

Playstyle matters. Who knows how well this person knew how to play. He could have been playing well under his difficulty level and was able to min-max his gold better than most at lower levels. Or he could have been a massive noob who didn't know how best to spend his money and he just let it accumulate.

I'll be perfectly honest. Most likely the guy is a massive noob who doesn't understand the power of rush buying/upgrading your army. There is just no way you could have more money than you could handle. There is simply too much crap you can buy. Alternatively, you could assign your trade routes to your own city for food/production boost if things did somehow get out of control.

I guess it's the typical "reviewer plays on Chieftain and wins handily so everything is inconsequential" ..

Quite possibly. I mean, I play on Prince when I want a challenge, and I know better than to make the ICS argument. (One of the reasons I don't play on anything harder is because I do like to ICS, but I also know that this doesn't work very well on higher difficulties.)

I know all of us here defend Civilization, but they are actually valid criticisms. He supports everything he says with examples. We may not agree, but it's clear Civilization is not the game for everyone and he represents a large crowd of that type of gamer whether we like it or not

VentureBeat's bucket-filling critique seems more tailored towards the human condition in modern society than this game. I have issues with the happiness mechanic in Civ 5 but from his description of it, I suspect he wasn't playing it at a very high difficulty level.

VentureBeat's bucket-filling critique seems more tailored towards the human condition in modern society than this game. I have issues with the happiness mechanic in Civ 5 but from his description of it, I suspect he wasn't playing it at a very high difficulty level.

I'd say the gist of it is that if you didn't like Vanilla, and you didn't like G&K, then this won't change your mind. However, the inverse would also be true. If you liked Vanilla and you liked G&K, then you will like BNW.

I know all of us here defend Civilization, but they are actually valid criticisms. He supports everything he says with examples. We may not agree, but it's clear Civilization is not the game for everyone and he represents a large crowd of that type of gamer whether we like it or not

Yeah sure, I wont argue with his opinion. But some parts just sound weird.

"And Civ V still doesn’t have much for you to do while you’re waiting for those buckets to fill. At times, I’d end my turn, waiting for my next chance to issue new orders or build additional city structures or select another technology to research. And I’d stare at the screen, waiting for these prompts … only to realize minutes later that I’d been looking at another “next turn” button."

When does this happen? In the late game I get bombarded with notifications. I can only think of the first 20 turns, but in this time I'm busy exploring and turn waiting times are about 5 seconds.

Then his commentary that he likes strategy games, but Civ V is at its heart 'a terribly uninteresting strategy game'. Thats just mean and not objective ;)

Well, to be honest, if he's 'not the type of gamer that CiV is meant for', why did he get a review of it? That's just bad marketing.

"Hey, let's have someone who doesn't play 4X games review our game!"

While I agree that there has to be a discussion about whether to try for demographics not traditionally within the arena or not, I think that's trying too hard.

And, honestly, I'd like counterexamples as well. I don't deride the reviewer for the fact he has reasons. As Chesteron notes in Orthodoxy, 'It's not an issue that the facts aren't convincing. They are, in fact. However, the facts are not facts.' 'No reason not to ICS' shows an appalling lack of understanding of even basic game mechanics. And here's the reason: he cites it as an issue hindering the growth of the game, when there's plenty of work on that very issue with the expansions and other patches. He's, quite bluntly, wrong if he thinks there's no reason not to ICS, and to state that in a review as something wrong with the game when he is, in fact, incorrect does nothing for his credibility as a reviewer.

I can't really see the antagonism you are speaking to in this thread. Everyone mostly seems to be shrugging and taking your view.

The VentureBeat review isn't very professional, and I don't say this merely because he gave BNW a low score. The guy barely mentions the culture/tourism mechanics, even though it is one of the biggest overhauls in the expansion. His opinion is that it's just another bucket to fill: that's fine, but can you provide some details as to why? There is barely a passing mention of archaeology, and no real mention of the Great Works. When you can't be bothered to devote even a couple paragraphs to one of the bigger changes, your agenda has taken over.

The professional thing to do is to say up front, "I don't like the core mechanics of Civ 5, and this doesn't offer sweeping fundamental changes. If you didn't like Civ 5 before, don't buy this. However, if you do like it, here are the things that seem fun and here are the things that don't add a whole lot/are still a problem." It's easy to do, makes it clear where you stand, and offers the right information for each segment of your audience.

This guy just wants you to hate Civ 5 the same way he does. I don't think that adds much of anything at this point.

Top Bottom