Seems like there's less incentive to attack neighboring civs

With the whole inception of trading (free gold/science), it seems like the benefits for being at peace outweigh the horrors (puppeted unhappiness, need to build up a military, etc.) that come with going to war with your neighbors.

My games have been quite peaceful so far. Yours?

Very peaceful for me, too. It's gone even a bit too far, because the AI should actively try to prevent the player from winning anyway. If I'm churning out insane amount of tourism and my AI pals have armies five times larger than mine waiting at the border, well... I'm asking for, but they won't come at me. Rather disappointing. Similarly, the AI does little to stop diplomatic victories - they don't conquer my CS allies or plunder my Treaty Organization influence ships.

I agree. My current game I am Greece and Persia is right next to me. His empire looks like easy pickings, and it's tempting to invade. But we have been trading, sining research agreements and all sorts of things. It's a relationship that's mutually beneficial. I can't justify going to war and losing the benefits of being friends, while also getting negatives for going to war. It just seems like any benefit I would get by going to war just isn't strong enough to outweigh losing the friendship.

I guess it's realistic. Because in real life war is something that is not taken lightly, it takes serious thought and consideration before committing your nation to such a huge endeavor fraught with so much risk.

Edit: come to think of it, this relationship only works because I am Greece and the AI is Persia. If it was the other way around and I was neglecting my military the way I have been, there is no doubt that Alexander would invade.

I still find it pretty useful to take out a neighbor. You probably don't want to conquer your way to more than about 6 cities early on, but you can take a second capital for yourself and leave the victim with 1-2 cities. Then they'll probably be too weak to ever attack you again, and you can farm trade routes off them.

My games have not been peaceful at all. I have not often been the target of attack, but the civ's quite happily ravage each other. Last I night I started a game where Dutch and Assyria were both sending settlers to the exact same spot on the map. William got there first, but less than twenty turns later his city was razed to the ground.

FYI, a sciences panalty has also been applied for each puppeted city. So, there's even elss incentive to capture cities.

However, I would say your statement begs are greater question. You ask "why attack neighboring civ's" I ask "what makes expanding worthwhile at all".

In that selfsame game, I have a spot within easy rich of my capital that has gems. But that's pretty much all it has, so I have to realize it's simply not worth it to settle it. After all, the happiness gain from the lux is negated by the very act of settling there. Those gems are just a recipe for misery. Even the wealth will be offset by all the costs of maintaining the city.

Now, there's a wodnerful spot with horses, iron, cotton, a river, flood plains. a couple wheat, and even a spot by the coast. It would really rock. But I'd need a road no less than six tiles long to connect the two. Is that nice spot worth decrementing my economy with a long road?

Edit: come to think of it, this relationship only works because I am Greece and the AI is Persia. If it was the other way around and I was neglecting my military the way I have been, there is no doubt that Alexander would invade.

IME, Darius is pretty belligerent too, he just waits for a golden age.

Peaceful so far. It seems the game is now designed to have both the player and the AI to turtle in their little corners of the map.

It's not just war but expansion as well. They wanted to stop ICS and runaway AI civs that spam cities everywhere. However, if I have 4-6 cities already and I spot a vacant good spot, I'm being discouraged to settle a new city there. It's very discouraging and unrewarding to spot an excellent city spot and thinking it's not worth it to plant a city there.

IME, Darius is pretty belligerent too, he just waits for a golden age.

Just recently I played a peaceful game with Darius right next to me. Not a single war, although he did bring his troops to the border once. I think he was mellowed by our mutually profitable trade at first, and later on by my large coastal batteries.

Started my third game since BNW earlier. It ended violently, the Zulu horde descending on poor, weak Korea. It started off nicely enough. Three other civs shared an alarmingly small continent with me, but I didn't see much of a problem with that as the Maya seemed eager to trade (and sap my massive Science bonus, a price I was willing to pay). Spain had other plans. From the beginning, I suspect Maria harbored a lot of resentment against me. She went South, and I, North. Fortune smiled upon me and left her in a backwater peninsula.

She was the first to show her treachery, which prompted the production of many H'watchas. After defeating her and smugly accepting Barcelona as a condition of surrender, I began a wave of emboldened colonization. Mistake. Longish story short, the Zulu reacted violently and the map was quickly covered in red.

The ai has trouble on large maps because of a lack of trade. The ai is usually fairly effective on an island/continent with 2 or more trade partners and a handful of CS.

I'm at turn 198 , playing at Immortal difficulty.

Only 1 war has occured , Germans owned Portugal's , they have 7 or 8 cities , building new ones as well.
Chinese are so powerful, almost built all wonders ( mostly militaristic ) .
5 greatest nationalities on the same continent.

But my biggest hate towards AI is ...They have stopped building cities.. Ok, I can understand that war is no good or they have been programmed like that , but why do not build new cities ( they stop at 2 or 3 ) while there are many good luxury, strategic resources around all map ?
I am building new cities, getting those and trading resources...

I started to hate the game until they fix this passive AI in every way.

FORGOT to say that there was only 1 war which lasted so short between Germany and Portugal.

I think they should have a LOOTING option that is an evolved version of trade. For instance, if you are CIV A and you conquer CITY B, you should be able to send your trade units into B (which you now own) to loot gold over the course of 30 turns. That way, it's like you're still able to trade with the conquered city, several turns after the war has ended.

B never gets weaker. It's as if CIV A is redistributing the wealth from B amongst the empire.

Addition to above post of mine :

Chinese has built all militaristic wonders including great wall, zeus statue etc. even though I am so close to them and I have NO MILITARY at all , they are friends / defense pact with me...

No way i am having fun, sorry. The game has lost its fear factor.

I tend to agree. I am on an isolated landmass with America and before, it would have been a no-brainier to take him out (or least counterattack him). But I needed him as a trade partner since we would not discover any other civs until turn 175.

But my biggest hate towards AI is ...They have stopped building cities.. Ok, I can understand that war is no good or they have been programmed like that , but why do not build new cities ( they stop at 2 or 3 ) while there are many good luxury, strategic resources around all map ?
I am building new cities, getting those and trading resources...

DIING! DING! DING!

Yessirree. While I don't see this problem with the AI being too peaceful, I have seen the AI pass up on some the sweetest spos on the map in its backyard, and elect instead to stay at two or three cities for the whole game.

This is what we need to collaborate on so that Firaxis will fix it. If the AI doesn't want to expand, then it has one less reason to DoW.

I can't agree with the AI not expanding. They do play more like a human player now, going 3-5 cities at first and then staying with those for a while. In the mid- and lategame they do expand all over the place like they did in G&K.

The only ones that do stay on few cities all game long are the ones who did it in G&K too (Dido etc).

Just recently I played a peaceful game with Darius right next to me. Not a single war, although he did bring his troops to the border once. I think he was mellowed by our mutually profitable trade at first, and later on by my large coastal batteries.

I think the AI has definitely gotten better at gauging the actions of other players, and adjusting accordingly. A few gams back a neighbor civ was hostile and getting real uppity. He then massed tons of troops on my border. I knew a war was coming, so I immediately rushed my military to the border and denounced the AI. A few turns later the AI backed off, pulled troops away, and when from hostile to neutral.

I think the AI was testing me and seeing how far he could push. If I did nothing to react, I'm pretty certain he would have invaded in a few turns. But I think when the AI saw my reaction, it realized it was getting into a war it couldn't win and backed off.

I have had 2 games now, where I was beaten by an early attack. First the Zulus suddenly stood there with a horde of units, old school style. Okay they actually do war I thought. But didn't learn apparantly as I was just put out of a merry build-the-petra game by Darius and another horde of spearmen.

Besides those 2 defeats there haven't been much warring I agree. I suspect you have to let the AI know that this is a wargame and not a peacegame. Like steal a worker. Then attack a CS because, who are they to tell me what to do? Denounce someone and be rude! I mean if you play the whole game being as friendly as you can be, then why complain that you are not attacked?

Top Bottom